Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Flagstone Floor Treatment

Question Flagstone Floor Treatment

I have recently moved into an old cottage with beautiful flagstone floors, unfortunately, they have suffered the test of time and are no longer black. They need some work to restore them to their former glory.

Can anyone recommend what to treat them with after a good scrub? An oil perhaps?

Cheers

Default oil

Linseed oil works, but might be costly.

I've also been told milk! But i've not tried it yet! Might be smelly.

Some of the companies such as Caithness Stone Industries might sell a treatment you could try.

They certaintly used milk in the past and I have used it on flagstone hearths with good results. It darkens the flag and gives it a good lustre. You will probably have to treat it a few times but easy to keep on top of it once it is done.

And no, I do not recall a sour milk smell treating flags this way and it is very cheap.

The crofters used to always use buttermilk because it gave the flags a lovely blue shine. good luck with it anyway!!!!

Caithness Chemicals at the Airport ind Est used to do something that finished flags nicely.
    They could well still ..................

Default flag

Great to know milk doesn't smell!!

Used linseed oil on my hearth almost 2 years ago and never had to reapply yet!!

Mind you it's a stove so not many ashes on the hearth if i can help it!

Default Stone Floor

I have used this product with great result, and I have an unopened tin if you want to give it a shot.

Liberon 004419 Stone Floor Sealer 1 Ltr
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Talking

I work at up at one of the quarries, we normally recommend 'glow' from Caithness chemicals.

Although as most people have said already, Linseed oil, Milk...ive even got someone who swears by baby oil. It depends if they are marked or not or if it is literally bringing them up to a better finish scrubbing them then glow would be my advice hope that helps!!

oh and I noticed stixie said Caithness Stone might sell stuff, we don't, we can give you proper advice though if you want to bring photos and show us
    Last edited by jumbledrainbow; 08-Dec-10 at 22:16.

Linseed oil works a treat and a little goes a long, long way.

Black boot polish, lasts for ages.

All types of flags need different treatment. Try a test on a few area's.

Even try an impregnator to give it a seal, to see how it comes out.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.