Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: National Identity Card Scheme

Default National Identity Card Scheme

I hope Dreadnought won't regard me as hijacking his thread, as it was in the Air Travel Security thread that this subject cropped up.

I object entirely to the proposed National Identity Card Scheme. Many people see it as a means of combating crime, terrorism and so on. I see no harm in being legally required to carry say a photocard driver's licence at all times (as they do in France and Germany).

Any views, anyone?

I object, as like somebody,was it you?,pointed out I like to keep my privacy. I have nothing to hide b ut I dont want somebody looking through my ins & outs.

With the introduction of the young Scot cards they're introducing the concept of carrying identity cards to the teenagers of today,so that when it does become compulsory, in a few years time this generation will accept it as there doing it already.
    Me personnely ,idont like the idea but can see as with everything else we'll be railroaded into accepting it.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Sorry to be stupid here but how would having ID cards stop a possible terrorist attack?

and they are already doing it to pensioners with the free travel cards!

Quote Originally Posted by sjwahwah
    and they are already doing it to pensioners with the free travel cards!
    Ah But! pensioners aren't the only ones who qualify for free travel cards - well bus passes essentially.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

aye, but they ken EVERY pensioner in the country will go out and get one simply because they are free...

Though many may not even have heard of them. also, some are too proud to use one - "I pay my way in life, not like all the leeches"!

most folk in there 70's I know couldn't wait to get out and get one!

the Offences against the Persons Act 1861 is quite adequate protection without taking away any more of our freedoms.

Operator: "Thank you for calling Pizza Hut. May I have your national ID number?"

Customer: "Hi, I'd like to place an order."

Operator: "I must have your NIDN first, sir?"

Customer: "My National ID Number, yeah, hold on, it's 6102049998-45-54610."

Operator: "Thank you, Mr. Sheehan. I see you live at 17 Meadowland Drive, and the phone number's 0745 236611. Your office number over at Lincoln Insurance is 0745 230209 and your cell number's 0745 256666. Email address is sheehan@ home.net Which number are you calling from, sir?"

Customer: "Huh? I'm at home. Where d'ya get all this information?"

Operator: "We're wired into the NLHSS, sir."

Customer: "The NLHSS, what is that?"

Operator: "We're wired into theNew Labour Homeland Security System, sir. This will add only 15 seconds to your ordering time"

Customer: (Sighs) "Oh, well, I'd like to order a couple of your All-Meat Special pizzas."

Operator: "I don't think that's a good idea, sir."

Customer: "Whaddya mean?"

Operator: "Sir, your medical records and commode sensors indicate that you've got very high blood pressure and extremely high cholesterol. Your National Health Care provider won't allow such an unhealthy choice."

Customer: "What?!?! What do you recommend, then?"

Operator: "You might try our low-fat Soybean Pizza. I'm sure you'll like it."

Customer: "What makes you think I'd like something like that?"

Operator: "Well, you checked out 'Gourmet Soybean Recipes' from your local library last week, sir. That's why I made the suggestion."

Customer: "All right, all right. Give me two family-sized ones, then."

Operator: "That should be plenty for you, your wife and your four kids, and your 2 dogs can finish the crusts, sir. Your total is £21.99."

Customer: "Lemme give you my credit card number."

Operator: "I'm sorry sir, but I'm afraid you'll have to pay in cash. Your credit card balance is over its limit."

Customer: "I'll run over to the ATM and get some cash before your driver gets here."

Operator: "That won't work either, sir. Your checking account's overdrawn also."

Customer: "Never mind! Just send the pizzas. I'll have the cash ready. How long will it take?"

Operator: "We're running a little behind, sir. It'll be about 45 minutes, sir. If you're in a hurry you might want to pick 'em up while you're out getting the cash, but then, carrying pizzas on a motorcycle can be a little awkward."

Customer: "Wait! How do you know I ride a Motorcycle"?

Operator: "It says here you're in arrears on your car payments, so your car got repo'ed. But your Harley's paid for and you just filled the tank yesterday"

Customer: Well I'll be a "damned'

Operator: "I'd advise watching your language, sir. You've already got a July 4, 2006 conviction for cursing at a cop and another one I see here on September for contempt at your hearing for cursing at a judge." "Oh yes I see here that you just got out from a 90 day stay in s State Correctional Facility. Is this your first pizza since your return to society?

Customer: (Speechless)

Operator: "Will there be anything else, sir?"

Customer: "Yes, I have a coupon for a free 2 litre of Coke".

Operator: "I'm sorry sir, but our ad's exclusionary clause prevents us from offering free soda to diabetics. The New Labout British Constitution prohibits this. Thank you for calling Pizza Hut!"
    Double Mmmmmmm

Doesn't bother me one bit - I already carry a photo driving licence. I'd be more than happy to have a biometric ID.
    I don't care if my info is on a computer somewhere else - it is already on a shed load of them now - as are all of yours to some degree.

Go into a shop and they ask for your postcode? Think they just like collecting postcodes?
    Get any junk mail? See the line of numbers after your name/address? Thats you that is....
    Go to your doctors?
    Go to the employment offices?
    Got a bank account?
    Got a credit card?
    Got a car?

All the libertarians bleating about how they want to retain their civil liberties may need to do a double check of exactly where their details are held....

...unless of course they have never ever registered for absolutely anything since the day they popped their head out the womb...

(in fact come to think of it - even before then they were on record somewhere...)

I suppose Identity cards will enable amnesiacs to identify themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by j4bberw0ck
    I hope Dreadnought won't regard me as hijacking his thread, as it was in the Air Travel Security thread that this subject cropped up.
    I object entirely to the proposed National Identity Card Scheme. Many people see it as a means of combating crime, terrorism and so on. I see no harm in being legally required to carry say a photocard driver's licence at all times (as they do in France and Germany).
    Any views, anyone?
    I on the other hand see nothing wrong with a National Identity scheme, maybe not the one the Government is proposing now, but a scheme similar to as you say France and Germany have, even in Holland they have a scheme where your passport is reduced to card size, I see something along those lines.
    Madpict your right, our personal data is a matter of record somewhere already so why not carry some identfication, our parents all did during and after WW2, did they complain? I think not.
    This country of ours has gone too far with liberal ideas, thats why the UK is in the state it is now, too many pinko LIBERALS!!!!!!!
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

mad pict... might as well.. get the microchip implant to save yourself carrying around all this documentation and photo ids? go fer it... I here it's the trendiest thing now!

Too many right whingers.

Quite like the idea of the ID chip, it would save me having to root through my hadbag to pay for something, they could just scan me and it paid yippee
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

right..... left..... slanting to the left... slanting to the right.. all the same tosh.

If chip inserted into skull - would give new meaning to "BRAIN SCAN" right?
    "Head this way please"

Quote Originally Posted by Kingetter
    If chip inserted into skull - would give new meaning to "BRAIN SCAN" right?
    "Head this way please"
    It may be a chip on your shoulder.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast