Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bailing out Ireland

Default Bailing out Ireland

A few observations; well, questions really.

What would happen in the same circumstances to an independent Scotland, with similar populations and demographics?

The UK (as a whole) can borrow on the international markets at a rate that we can lend to Ireland at a profit and still be cheaper than Ireland can borrow for themselves.

Should we help, independently, (we have to as part of the IMF) or as George tells us, can we afford not to?
    Last edited by ducati; 23-Nov-10 at 08:42.

I don't think the question will ever arise - Scotland will never be independent, it cannot afford to be.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    A few observations; well, questions really.

What would happen in the same circumstances to an independent Scotland, with similar populations and demographics?
    We'd be screwed. As the SNP well know - that's why they've stopped yelping on about full independence, they have seen what happened to some of their 'role models'.

The UK (as a whole) can borrow on the international markets at a rate that we can lend to Ireland at a profit and still be cheaper than Ireland can borrow for themselves.

Should we help, independently, (we have to as part of the IMF) or as George tells us, can we afford not to?
    No. Stuff them. We've enough on bailing out our own bad management without putting capital at risk with an inept country.

The current grubbiement view is that we need to help Ireland so that the Irish can continue to buy goods and services from the UK. It is said that Ireland is one of our biggest export markets.
    So I guess in the present economic climate the best way to bring a country to its knees is for the populace to stop buying. I wonder what would happen if everyone in Ireland didn't spend any money, other than for food and necessities, until after Christmas .
    Last edited by Gronnuck; 23-Nov-10 at 13:18.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

No. Stuff them. We've enough on bailing out our own bad management without putting capital at risk with an inept country.[/quote]

Would you say the same if the boot was on the other foot?
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

If, due to excessive hardship, Andrea Corr ever finds herself without a bed or a roof over her head, then I am willing to help out!
    Last edited by orkneycadian; 23-Nov-10 at 13:42. Reason: Fat fingers....

I don't think the government is offering the loan out of the goodness of its heart. Britain has a lot to lose if Irelands economy goes down the pan.

I have found it interesting how the economies of Ireland and Iceland, once the "role models" for an independent Scotland have suffered so badly. Banking provides wealth in good times, but when things go sour the fact that they don't actually produce anything causes problems.

In times like these unity helps. Being a little fish in a big pond is a dangerous way to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Bug View Post
    No. Stuff them. We've enough on bailing out our own bad management without putting capital at risk with an inept country.
    Would you say the same if the boot was on the other foot?[/QUOTE]

The boot was on the other foot and they decided to stay "neutral".
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Britain has a lot to lose if Irelands economy goes down the pan.
    Britain has a lot to lose if (when) Britains economy goes down the pan....

But still we insist in sending foreign aid to every country under the sun, irrespective of how neighbourly we are, or how likely the other country is going to repay the gesture by sending us suicide bombers.

Given that we have no money of our own these days, borrowing money to then lend to someone else is madness.

Apparently the best two economies in Europe are Norway and Switzerland.
    Wonder why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    Apparently the best two economies in Europe are Norway and Switzerland.
    Wonder why that is?
    I find that an enigma too.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Britain has a lot to lose if (when) Britains economy goes down the pan....

But still we insist in sending foreign aid to every country under the sun, irrespective of how neighbourly we are, or how likely the other country is going to repay the gesture by sending us suicide bombers.

Given that we have no money of our own these days, borrowing money to then lend to someone else is madness.
    I do agree with you regarding foreign aid.

As for borrowing to lend, as long as the interest rates are right, it will actually make us money.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    As for borrowing to lend, as long as the interest rates are right, it will actually make us money.
    Are you an investment banker?

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Are you an investment banker?
    No, but I have been called something that rhymes with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Bug View Post
    Would you say the same if the boot was on the other foot?[/quote]

But the boot isn't on the other foot. If I get my house repossessed, would my neighbours offer to pay my arrears to pull me out of the problem? I think not.

And Tonkatojo has a VERY valid point.....Eire was happy to ride on the skirts of the UK during WW2 without actually doing anything positive as a nation. So no sympathy there from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Ego View Post
    But the boot isn't on the other foot. If I get my house repossessed, would my neighbours offer to pay my arrears to pull me out of the problem? I think not.

And Tonkatojo has a VERY valid point.....Eire was happy to ride on the skirts of the UK during WW2 without actually doing anything positive as a nation. So no sympathy there from me.[/quote]

Way to hold a grudge for 65 years

Whoe! what happened to the quote dubry?

Methinks this is only the beginning. Am hearing that many Countries are living beyod their means.....Standby.....

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    The boot was on the other foot and they decided to stay "neutral". [/quote]
    Their ( Irelands) government may have stayed neutral during ww2 but it did not deter their people joining the british army to fight in the war. They joined in their thousands and fought and died alongside our brave lads,indeed many Irish Nationals still serve in the British Army.

Quote Originally Posted by sam09 View Post
    The boot was on the other foot and they decided to stay "neutral".
    Their ( Irelands) government may have stayed neutral during ww2 but it did not deter their people joining the british army to fight in the war. They joined in their thousands and fought and died alongside our brave lads,indeed many Irish Nationals still serve in the British Army.[/QUOTE]

Yes you're right, and my thanks go to them.

But any aid or loan goes to their government, not to these individuals.

Default The Domino Effect!

IMF and the EU Reps on BBC World News tonite, talking....This is only the beginning.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast