Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Knowledge

Default Local Knowledge

Who recognises this place?

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

Is it Mary Anne Calers cottage at Dunnet?

Shall we wait a bit - see what others might think?

Quote Originally Posted by Fran
    Is it Mary Anne Calers cottage at Dunnet?
    Och go on - check this out -

who is she?
    http://itqueries.com/

pay a visit to the cottage, brandy. Well worth it.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Fuel for the fire - the traditional kind -

Quote Originally Posted by brandy
    who is she?
    have a read -
    http://www.caithness.org/community/m...tage/index.htm

Looks like a healthy peat stack in that photo but one of the custodians told me last month that they're having trouble finding anyone who can still cut peat in the old way to replace it.
    There must be someone left in the Dunnet area who knows how.

That pile is at the Cottage and there's a wee pile near the door, handy for bringing in. They always seem to have peat there. No doubt thanks to a Volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingetter
    Mary anne spent the last of her life at Seaview Nursing Home in Wick. I was lucky enough to care for her there for a couple of years. she was a lovely 90 year old lady with a great memory and lots of stories. She was popular with the other residents and made great friends with another elderly lady from Keiss. Mary anne wore the old fashioned clothes from many years gone by and was such an interesting lady. i have some photoes of her taken in seaview nursing home and must look them out and post them on here.

Fran, thanks for that. I bet she was one of the most memorable characters you've met in life - the pics would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Errogie
    Looks like a healthy peat stack in that photo but one of the custodians told me last month that they're having trouble finding anyone who can still cut peat in the old way to replace it.
    There must be someone left in the Dunnet area who knows how.
    When I was out in the Western Isles, I was coerced, tricked or badgered into assisting in the annual turfing, cutting and throwing of many a peat for friends and colleagues.... but the blooming midgies made my life hell in doing so! You don't have to be especially skilled, all you need is the correct tool for the trade - the peat iron, also known as the tusker or tusk.

The other ingredients are plenty fluids to replace the sweat you'll lose and some Radox for the bath because you'll be sore the following day, believe me!!

By the way, you'd think that the peat stack could have been built with a nice herring-bone pattern, like I used to see in Lewis and Harris...
    Blazing Sporrans
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail...." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"By the way, you'd think that the peat stack could have been built with a nice herring-bone pattern, like I used to see in Lewis and Harris..."

Perhaps so but then that might detract from the Cottage?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingetter
    Perhaps so but then that might detract from the Cottage?
    Not at all... it would merely serve to heighten the appreciation!
    Blazing Sporrans
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail...." Ralph Waldo Emerson

May agree to disagree on that one but it would look nice I guess.

Once you've seen some of the displays that I've seen, I know you'll agree with me
    Blazing Sporrans

Perhaps, perhaps not - but that won't affect the Cottage.

One of the interesting features in the Highlands used to be seeing the different style of peat stacks and I know edge laid herring bone pattern. Some years ago they had a competition in Lewis and Harris for the neatest peat stack and there were various patterns and style a bit like local knitting patterns but the object is to keep the fuel dry and once they are really dry they can shed it and dry again at the edges.

The style and shape of peat also varies from area to area as does the tushker which of course shapes it. I'm the only person left cutting by hand on south Loch Ness but usually put it in an open shed where only the edge needs a bit of building. It's not really hard work and can be a great day out on the moor with the whole family and a picnic!

If Mary Anne's run out of fuel I would be happy to throw a few out for them from a local bank perhaps as an Orger's day out but I am sure that there must be a local who can cut in the authentic style and shape which the place should really have as part of its overall presentation.

Default local knowledge

On no account go peat digging with this man, Errogie The reason nobody cuts peat by hand in Stratherick is because they have either fled or perished on the job - why do you think the bogs there house so many human remains?
    As foir the promise of food, well a suck at a cold thermos flask of tea and a couple of cheese rinds and that's it.
    You have been warned!!!!
    Richard Sutherland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast