Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rise Of China

Default The Rise Of China

Since the fall of the soviet union, america has been the world's sole superpower, however in recent years, China has been gaining strength through breakneck economic growth, china is increasing financial reserves.

There has been reports that China is in the process of modernizing its defence capabilities as it now has the financial muscle to do it.

Also of late, China has been competing with the major oil companies of the west for control of the world's energy resources.

Do you believe that China is benign or has it got a hidden agenda? Will it one day soon challenge America as a superpower?

I think the challenge is already there. With the economy slipping so much in the US and taking a beating off China with the trade deficits and revaluation of the yuan, and the Chinese buying up the American manufacturers and corporations (including Unocal last year) i think there is not a doubt they have the capabilities and monetary muscle to do pretty much whatever they'd like to.

and in the current scheme of things... what might it be?

Quote Originally Posted by sjwahwah
    I think the challenge is already there. With the economy slipping so much in the US and taking a beating off China with the trade deficits and revaluation of the yuan, and the Chinese buying up the American manufacturers and corporations (including Unocal last year) i think there is not a doubt they have the capabilities and monetary muscle to do pretty much whatever they'd like to.

and in the current scheme of things... what might it be?
    Time to stop teaching French and start teaching mandarin to the weans I reckon. At least that way they will know what the Prime Minister is saying in 25 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by DW
    Time to stop teaching French and start teaching mandarin to the weans I reckon. At least that way they will know what the Prime Minister is saying in 25 years time.
    This is an exaggerated fear of many people which you are not supposed to talk about.

its not just china who are becoming a super-power. North Korea (maybe south, im not sure which one) with there dictator are also becoming a super-power, in the full sense of the last word. If some of the rumours are true, they have enough nuclear weapons/technology etc to blow up all of USA and Canada. Russa also are a super-power. they have many warheads, including nuclear weapons, and they ahve a huge army. I would also consider Israel a super-power. Remember, Israel has the support of the USA, and if those 2 joined.......... KABOOM.....
    "We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance, and wealth with happiness. We are monkeys with money and guns." ~ Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by celtic 302
    its not just china who are becoming a super-power. North Korea (maybe south, im not sure which one) with there dictator are also becoming a super-power, in the full sense of the last word.
    Would that be the people of North Korea or the state? Many of the people spend all their time struggling to find enough food to keep themselves alive.

Isn't there a prophesy in the bible that says "a yellow race will rule the world." ?
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by katarina
    Isn't there a prophesy in the bible that says "a yellow race will rule the world." ?
    I don't think so, I read the book and saw the film, if there is I must have missed it.

Never heard this one but China is definitely a country to watch. The recent tv series was very interesting, especially as there are obviously people in China who are willing to speak out on ecology issues which I'm sure would not have been possible a few years ago. Still far too much state control, which is why they are advancing so quickly. Pity Bush (followed slavishly by Blair) is so busy alienating the rest of the world but maybe he doesn't know where China is yet
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    Would that be the people of North Korea or the state? Many of the people spend all their time struggling to find enough food to keep themselves alive.
    hahaha... funny man aint you???
    "We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance, and wealth with happiness. We are monkeys with money and guns." ~ Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    Never heard this one but China is definitely a country to watch. The recent tv series was very interesting, especially as there are obviously people in China who are willing to speak out on ecology issues which I'm sure would not have been possible a few years ago. Still far too much state control, which is why they are advancing so quickly. Pity Bush (followed slavishly by Blair) is so busy alienating the rest of the world but maybe he doesn't know where China is yet
    Bush is a wet-brained maniac and blair is one of his flock, god help us all.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

I heard of that prophecy years many ago. Perhaps Canuck can confirm if it was from the Bible or not. Otherwise, it may have been Nostradamus or the Brahan Seer.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

When the nations of the world engage in the last and final war, China, with one small European nation, will emmerge and take over the pieces after the war staggers to a halt. This is a combination of several predictions.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

right gleber2.. I'm interested... tell us more..

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    When the nations of the world engage in the last and final war, China, with one small European nation, will emmerge and take over the pieces after the war staggers to a halt. This is a combination of several predictions.
    Is the small European nation Greece?

The Greek shall inherit the earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran
    I heard of that prophecy years many ago. Perhaps Canuck can confirm if it was from the Bible or not. Otherwise, it may have been Nostradamus or the Brahan Seer.
    Sporran, I was half way through my response to you when Gleber2 reached over and hit the delete button on my computer and then posted ahead of me.

The short answer is "no" to the question about the Bible. Normally while I am on vacation the short answer would be all that you get. But because it is you sporran I'll give you more information. I checked with The Ship of Fools, a religious website that really is not just fun but very good with this stuff. Here is the thread where this issue is discussed. Scroll down about 8 or 10 posts.
    http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-b...;f=15;t=000640

To those who, through the conspiracy theory discussions, are worn out checking links the summary is as follows. The two Biblical possibilities are:
    Genesis 9:27 - "May God make space for Japheth, and let him live in the tents of Shem; and let Canaan be his slave." (Japheth was Noah's son and apparently he had yellow skin. I don't know if we are dealing with race or liver disease here.)

Jeremiah 30:6 - "Ask now and see, can a man bear a child? Why then do I see every man with his hands on his loins like a woman in labor? Why has every face turned pale?" (I am not going near that one with a ten foot pole.)

Finally,the collective wisdom of the Ship of Fools is that the quotation is from the Nostradamus as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by celtic 302
    hahaha... funny man aint you???
    It isn't funny celtic, Korea doesn't release figures but probably between one and three million people died there in famines in the 1990s, they are now heavily dependent on food aid from the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    The stage is set for that to happen...........

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    Sporran, I was half way through my response to you when Gleber2 reached over and hit the delete button on my computer and then posted ahead of me.

The short answer is "no" to the question about the Bible. Normally while I am on vacation the short answer would be all that you get. But because it is you sporran I'll give you more information. I checked with The Ship of Fools, a religious website that really is not just fun but very good with this stuff. Here is the thread where this issue is discussed. Scroll down about 8 or 10 posts.
    http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-b...;f=15;t=000640

To those who, through the conspiracy theory discussions, are worn out checking links the summary is as follows. The two Biblical possibilities are:
    Genesis 9:27 - "May God make space for Japheth, and let him live in the tents of Shem; and let Canaan be his slave." (Japheth was Noah's son and apparently he had yellow skin. I don't know if we are dealing with race or liver disease here.)

Jeremiah 30:6 - "Ask now and see, can a man bear a child? Why then do I see every man with his hands on his loins like a woman in labor? Why has every face turned pale?" (I am not going near that one with a ten foot pole.)

Finally,the collective wisdom of the Ship of Fools is that the quotation is from the Nostradamus as you suggest.
    or jaundice....

I think that prediction actually came from Tomorrow's World and was about the rise of the Pacman game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast