Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Maps of Electricity Useage

Default Maps of Electricity Useage

I guess these are the latest maps but they are quite interesting.

Highland looks pretty demanding on electricity and elsewhere in the north of Scotland. Cold isolated detached housing? Scottish central belt, London, other city areas and the rural north of England look less than average. Terraced housing keeping each other snug? Rural England home counties look like they are burning their lights though in their big detached country houses?

What trends can we see in this and what can we learn from it to get our electricity useage down?

http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/s.../file41499.pdf
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Looks like a strong case to site new generation up here in the north to feed the heavy local demand. With certain types of generation working more efficiently up here than it does "doon sooth", there is a very strong argument to site such new generation in the North to maximise its efficiency and kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

Default Generating electricity

As for generating electricity, it depends on the source you prefer: burning fossil fuels, using atomic generated electricity, using wind mills, or perhaps some source not mentioned or whatever. Perhaps one of the brilliant org can come up with a fresh idea.