Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: fushia- taking cuttings

Default fushia- taking cuttings

whats the best way to succeed in taking fushia cuttings?
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Easy peasy!

I've done these anytime of year from spring to late summer.
    I just cut the growing tips giving a piece about 3". Cut below a set of leaves and remove those lower leaves.
    I then remove all the other leaves except the top 2 or 3 (depending on whether the fuchsia has leaves in sets of 2 or 3)
    Dip it in a bit of rooting hormone - although if the host plant is producing loads of fast growth I find the hormone unnecessary.
    Pot the cutting up into a moist, free draining compost.
    Either cover it with a cellophane bag or put it in a propagator but mist the leaves first to prevent loss of moisture.
    Keep them well misted but never soggy and in a light place away from direct sunlight which may scorch em.
    Give em a few weeks depending on the time of year you took the cuttings and they'll be ready for potting up but remember to remove any losses immediately as you don't want to encourage mould.
    Job done!

Good Luck!

This is just one of doing them, there's probably loads more it's just this works for me.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

If you have a sunny window sill, place a clear glass dish on it about 1/2 full of rainwater,make a tight film wrap round it then poke the cuttings through small holes in the film so they just touch the top of the water. You should have roots in about 10 days, then just pot on .

Always make sure that you take new growth from the parent plant.

This method has always worked well for most shrub cuttings that I have taken.

I do that with Hebe cuttings Lizz. This time of year they take just a couple of weeks to root.
    Haven't tried it with Fuchsia though so I'll have to give it a go.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

fuschia cuttings do quite well in perlite

where do you get the rooting compound?

i'm experimenting with a couple things i found online.
    one was to take the cuttings, put a good dollop of honey on the stem end and plant it deep in well drained soil!! sounds strange but have done it so we'll see what happens lol
    will try the above also as i'm convinced this is gonna work!!
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish

I get it from Inverness if I need it but if you're not heading down that way then EBay may be your best bet.
    Homebase in Wick may sell it or even the garden centre over Castletown way but I've never bought it from either of those so I don't know for sure.

Just out of interest what Fuschia are you taking cuttigs from?

Quote Originally Posted by annemarie482 View Post
    where do you get the rooting compound?

i'm experimenting with a couple things i found online.
    one was to take the cuttings, put a good dollop of honey on the stem end and plant it deep in well drained soil!! sounds strange but have done it so we'll see what happens lol
    will try the above also as i'm convinced this is gonna work!!

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    I get it from Inverness if I need it but if you're not heading down that way then EBay may be your best bet.
    Homebase in Wick may sell it or even the garden centre over Castletown way but I've never bought it from either of those so I don't know for sure.

Just out of interest what Fuschia are you taking cuttigs from?
    thanks.
    now your asking!! erm.......a big one with red and purple flowers!
    i planted it 4 years ago when it was tiny, now its 6ft tall and about 12 ft wide!!
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish