Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shetland Fireraiser!!

Question Shetland Fireraiser!!

I'm surprised no-ones brought up the story of the 23 year old Thai bloke who is facing deportation from Lerwick for fireraising. The islanders got together and raised a petition to keep him there. What does everyone think? At first I thought, quite right send him back to his own country but then I thought about it, and Shetland being a close community, they must know him well enough to know it's out of charachter for this bloke, and surely they wouldn't want to keep him there if they thought there was a risk of him reoffending.
    Should people who offend sent back to their own country after they've served their time here, even if there is a slim of them reoffending?
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Iss is a bit like the kettle calling the pot black. Did you not get sent to org jail a few months back for raising some heat on Caithness.org and then when you served your time the community welcomed ye back with open arms?

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber
    Iss is a bit like the kettle calling the pot black. Did you not get sent to org jail a few months back for raising some heat on Caithness.org and then when you served your time the community welcomed ye back with open arms?
    Gleeber - difference is - Connie's one of our own & the only offence she caused was amongst "those who will always be offended"

Perhaps they need him for the next Uphellya....

Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    Gleeber - difference is - Connie's one of our own & the only offence she caused was amongst "those who will always be offended"
    spot on lol

I thought that Shetlanders were man eaters and maybe they fancied a biit of Thai curry. Sorry - just kidding, honest.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Why is is that polish immigrants are so welcome in Scotland compared with immigrants whose skin is a bit darker???? Scotland is predicted to have the biggest population decilne of any European country over the next 30 years so we need all the immigrants we can get. We do have to be careful about people who commit crimes but this was just a teenage error. The lad is an athlete important to Shetland and the support he has had from the community means he is unlikely to let them down again. Maybe the final say in a situation like this should come from the local community.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneylass
    Why is is that polish immigrants are so welcome in Scotland compared with immigrants whose skin is a bit darker???? Scotland is predicted to have the biggest population decilne of any European country over the next 30 years so we need all the immigrants we can get. We do have to be careful about people who commit crimes but this was just a teenage error. The lad is an athlete important to Shetland and the support he has had from the community means he is unlikely to let them down again. Maybe the final say in a situation like this should come from the local community.
    Poland happens to be in the European Ecomonic Community, so nothing to stop the Polish folks coming over here. They are not immigrants, they are legal Eurpoeans traveling in Europe, looking for work.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by orkneylass
    Skin colour doesn't matter, he was an arsonist, that's all, don't make it into something it's not.

unicorn Guest

Well I imagine the community obviously know and trust him and well done them for the show of support they have given this young man.

I've followed this somewhat and the population was truly behind him, well, half of it anyway - a phenomenal number of supporters. They cannot all have known him, or known of his athletic abilities (whatever they are, they are irrelevant).

A lot of this is about an island community resenting and rebelling against the influence of an outside authority and I do not blame them.

It's a microcosm of the G.B. v. E.U. debate , though I wished the UK population were equally galvanised and half as motivated.
    Good on the Shetlanders.

Question More to the story....

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner
    Skin colour doesn't matter, he was an arsonist, that's all, don't make it into something it's not.
    I know he commited the crime and he freely admits he was wrong but his stepfather (whom he appears to have been close to) had just died and his baby had just died...
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm

I know he commited the crime and he freely admits he was wrong but his stepfather (whom he appears to have been close to) had just died and his baby had just died...
    And his pals took him out and got him totally bladdered to try and make him feel better..
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

The reason he has been chosen for deportation is that he is an easy target.
    He has lived on a small set of islands since the age of ten and would not have become what I would call "Street Wise".
    Had he been brought up on the Mainland in a large city he would simply have "disappeared" making it very difficult for the Authorities to deport him.

Why struggle to find murderers, rapists, muggers and other violent criminals when you have a sitting duck you makes it easy for you.
    "We've deported a criminal, aren't we wonderful!" He is being used as a scapegoat to draw attention from the fact that violent criminals who courts had recommended for deportation were released back into society by the Government to re-offend.

Whilst attention is drawn to one harmless individual it stops people worrying about the release of Murderers and Rapists who are still at large and a danger to the public.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Poland happens to be in the European Ecomonic Community, so nothing to stop the Polish folks coming over here. They are not immigrants, they are legal Eurpoeans traveling in Europe, looking for work.

Because you are European does not mean you are not an immigrant. I am European and an immigrant in Scotland.
    Migration implies movement. Emmigration implies movement from your own country to another not your own, where you are an immigrant. There is nothing to stop a legal immigrant from going anywhere in the world. The difference between coming from a third country or from within a European community country is that you do not have to "ask for permission" to work or reside anywhere in the european community.
    I Have to agree with JAWS: he is the shining example the foreign office needed to point out that they WERE doing something about immigrant criminals. They choose badly because a community had taken him in and he had become part of it. That community decided to defend him.
    Pultneytooner: he commited a stupid, stupid crime under extraordinary circumstances. This is not a hardened violent criminal. This is a boy that made a mistake, as many of us do when we are growing up. To use your own words:
    don't make it into something it's not
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

here here.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_
    Because you are European does not mean you are not an immigrant. I am European and an immigrant in Scotland.
    Migration implies movement. Emmigration implies movement from your own country to another not your own, where you are an immigrant. There is nothing to stop a legal immigrant from going anywhere in the world. The difference between coming from a third country or from within a European community country is that you do not have to "ask for permission" to work or reside anywhere in the european community.
    :
    Ju I stand corrected,
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_
    I Have to agree with JAWS: he is the shining example the foreign office needed to point out that they WERE doing something about immigrant criminals. They choose badly because a community had taken him in and he had become part of it. That community decided to defend him.
    Pultneytooner: he commited a stupid, stupid crime under extraordinary circumstances. This is not a hardened violent criminal. This is a boy that made a mistake, as many of us do when we are growing up. To use your own words:
    Under no circumstance is it exusable to become an arsonist, life dealt him a bad hand well guess what, he should live with it.
    Whilst I agree with jaws that he was picked as a soft target, that does not excuse his behavour.
    Will he recover from his fire - raising antics with therapy?
    He's an arsonist whether he's classed as a local or not, he's still a scumbag.
    Last edited by pultneytooner; 09-Jul-06 at 22:26.

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner
    Under no circumstance is it exusable to become an arsonist, life dealt him a bad hand well guess what, he should live with it.
    Whilst I agree with jaws that he was picked as a soft target, that does not excuse his behavour.
    Will he recover from his fire - raising antics with therapy?
    No it doesn't excuse his behaviour, but he has already served the punishment.

"Arsonist", "Fire Raiser", are very emotive terms. Would there still be the same hue and cry if he had broken a window or damaged a street sign?

He is nothing more than a person who has committed one small act of vandalism.

“Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!”
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast