Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ideal place for asda

Default ideal place for asda

am i missing something or would the site of the mart in thurso(about to close) be an excellent site for asda

Default Too small

There is no room for an Asda and carparking it would mean a lot a lot a lot of conjestion especially with school traffic.

The mart does not close until the end of this year. I also understand that the site is not an option as Elphinstone (the company who own it) have already refused to sell it to ASDA. Elphinstone are property developers and will undoubtedly be planning to use the mart site for housing. Anyway ASDA already have a perfectly good site at Pennyland which they should already have got outline planning permission for.

they could always come to wick

Quote Originally Posted by sweep
    am i missing something or would the site of the mart in thurso(about to close) be an excellent site for asda
    It's a pity if the auction mart site isn't available - don't know about being too small either - there's more land there than most people realise - I stopped to look at it last night. Not only would proximity to the town centre be more convenient but they might even consider moving their freight by rail as it neighbours the railway station.
    Blazing Sporrans
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail...." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cant see them building a supermarket there just look at the slope the grounds on. You would have a hard job walking up the hill never mind pushing a trolley or even a wheelchair. Nope sorry cant see that happening .

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    Cant see them building a supermarket there just look at the slope the grounds on. You would have a hard job walking up the hill never mind pushing a trolley or even a wheelchair. Nope sorry cant see that happening .
    Dry yer eyes Ice box, cant push the trolley? A big strong loon like ye!
    Good news for you then, Tesco is on quite flat land LOL

Quote Originally Posted by willowbankbear
    Dry yer eyes Ice box, cant push the trolley? A big strong loon like ye!
    Good news for you then, Tesco is on quite flat land LOL
    No i was just thinking of the wife.... lol...... i feel a slap coming on

No i was just thinking of the wife.... lol...... i feel a slap coming on
    Don't slap your wife icebox...lol
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

What yer giving her a slap for futuristic shopping at ASDA when theres a Tesco in Wick, where ye live? wasting petrol yes?

She might just phone the police..lol lol
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Surely his wife wouldnt rat on him?

But the proposed Pennyland Farm site is on a slope too and a lot of the ground around the mart is actually levelled - all the stock holding areas are downhill, away from the uphill slope of the road.
    Blazing Sporrans
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail...." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hopefully when ADSA launch their appeal and the situation is reviewed again at the end of the month the development will go ahead as planned.

little chef Guest

The mart is easily accessible for everyone in the town.The Pennyland site is not an option as it is part of the green belt set out in the local plan. If the local plan is ignored then what is the point of having local plans in the first place!!! It's already a nightmare coming in from Dounreay....can you imagine what it wold be like at rush hour with people coming in and out of a giant supermarket with all the Dounreay traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by little chef
    It's already a nightmare coming in from Dounreay....can you imagine what it wold be like at rush hour with people coming in and out of a giant supermarket with all the Dounreay traffic.

It will be no worse than trying to get out of Lidlle is just now
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

little chef Guest

Traffic there isn't too bad at the moment but with 2 supermarkets, a large hotel opposite Pennyland Farm and a retail park built by Tulloch in the remaining fields I think traffic congestion could get a lot worse!

Default Bypass

Trafric won't be a problem at Pennyland if they are building this bypass we keep hearing about.

stacemonster Guest

Its no wonder that Scotland has the obesity problems it does with the restricted access to decent food. North Caithness in particular. When all we have to choose from is Lidl and, of course, antoher Lidl. How can people refuse shops like Asda, who will not only benefit the economy but will perhaps give us access to healthier lives. Yes there is a Somerfields, but have you ever took a second to read the labels on processed food in that store. How are people supposed to minimise the amount of processed food they intake, when fresh food is priced so highly. Its about time shops like Asda were allowed access to communities like this, and its about time communities actually stopped and thought about what was best, yes there may be some congestion, but really is an extra 5 minutes such a big deal when you're probably loosing 10 years on your life expectancy by shoopping in Lidl and somerfield!

Just to add my 2p worth, i think pennyland is the best place for asda, regarding traffic they stated they would build an access roundabout aswell as the bypass. regarding it being a green belt or whatever it is they say it is, to me is pure nonsense when you look at what a real green belt is in a city. this is a field on the edge of town, towns expand outwards, the area has already been earmarked for building on anyway, so why shouldn't it be asda?
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast