Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please - German mystery

Default Help please - German mystery

In Thurso HomeAid shop this morning and they have something they don't know what it is so I said I'd post on here as am sure someone can help. Pic. attached but I should have got a better angle. The metal ring is attached to a double chain which hangs from a pulley at the top and can be unhooked where it joins the 3 chains attached to the ring. A friend has translated the German label attached to one leg for me but it is all safety warnings so not much help and that's all they know. For what it's worth it says:

Achtung. Keinen Spiritus, kien Benzin oder vergleichbare. Flüssigkeiten zum Anzünden und Wiederenzünden verwenden.

and even I know what Achtung means ! Anyone near the shop would get a better idea having a proper look (and they're having a half price sale ).
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Maybe it's a garden swing for someone with bad hemorrhoids?

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    For what it's worth it says:

Achtung. Keinen Spiritus, kien Benzin oder vergleichbare. Flüssigkeiten zum Anzünden und Wiederenzünden verwenden.
    Google Translate gives this: "No alcohol, gasoline or similar kien. Fluids for igniting and Wiederenzünden use."

Seems heat is involved somewhere.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

A cooking tripod. Sits over the top of an open fire and holds pots in the ring in the centre. I think!!!

Isn't it rather tall for that? It has three longer bolts that go through the frame near the top - what would they be for? Still hoping someone will look at it and come up with an answer

Default Cooking tripod

Default Cooking Tripod

That looks like a very useful bit of kit and I may pop over tomorrow and buy it.

It would be a great present for the mother in law to put her cauldron in.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger woods View Post
    Well I think you must be right . The chain is not as strong as some of those but probably strong enough and it dismantles easily. How interesting. I'll tell them tomorrow - thanks.

Kevin - you'd better get there quick. Might be a queue

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    It would be a great present for the mother in law to put her cauldron in.
    MIL a good cook then?
    Here is hoping the mistery will soon be solved cauldron or cooking pot?

sakthi Guest

hi,
    i am new to this forums!!!!

I've pass the info. on to the shop now so, since this is such good weather for camping and campfires , I'm sure there will be a long queue.

I use one for cooking at re enactments - and I have a cauldron ( cackle cackle cackle ) Although this one in the pic looks like the metal is coated with something and I am not sure why there would be a ring rather than a hook to hang your cauldren from.

Could it be a jelly bag holder for making jams and jellies? Although its a bit big lol. The jelly bag would have to attach to the ring somehow - does it come undone
    Last edited by squidge; 21-Jul-10 at 11:50.

It is for cooking..............In fact they had them for sale in Lidl in the fairly recent past.

Default This is ...

a garden bbq grill ... you put your meat / sausages on it and let it slightly spin around to assure every piece of meat gets grilled evenly ...

I am German so I know

Maybe I should have sent Homeaid a link to this thread instead of just giving them the answer and the link to Amazon.

I'm beginning to think it sounds like a good idea - wonder how much it is?

Yep, its a Schwenkgrill! You can make delicious grilled meat on there!
    Award winning photography http://www.martinacross.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Google Translate gives this: "No alcohol, gasoline or similar kien. Fluids for igniting and Wiederenzünden use."

Seems heat is involved somewhere.
    You seem to have solved the mystery, so this is just for the extra info: "Wiederenzünden" should be "Wiederanzünden" I believe, and just means re-igniting.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Alan16 View Post
    You seem to have solved the mystery, so this is just for the extra info: "Wiederenzünden" should be "Wiederanzünden" I believe, and just means re-igniting.
    Dear me, so it should (having Googled it) - and I thought I'd copied it so carefully. Or maybe it was a misprint on the label - it was made in China . Did Latin at school, not German, so it's all Greek to me.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Dear me, so it should (having Googled it) - and I thought I'd copied it so carefully. Or maybe it was a misprint on the label - it was made in China . Did Latin at school, not German, so it's all Greek to me.
    Haha, well I did French at school I just happen to have a German best friend/flatmate.

And the fact that it was made in China would also explain why the German in general isn't very good (apparently).
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Translation:

Attention: Do not use kerosene, petrol or similar liquids to ignite or reignite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast