Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Tesco

Quote Originally Posted by scrabster view View Post
    It this fact?
    they start to flatten the mart next month, then start building within the next couple of months
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by series2A View Post
    Do you think in the long run it will kill jobs as other shops will shut not being able to compete with Tesco's car parking, prices, convenience.
    i dont think so if any thing it has to be better.....everyone harps on about tesco(wick) taking trade out of thurso..and subsequently forgets the part homebase, argos, superdrug,pets at home etc have played in that part...if tesco thurso offers a bit more then surely folk are gonna stay this side and make do with the limited choice the rest of the town offers..if only cause it saves them the time and expense that travelling 20 miles offer them..
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
    i dont think so if any thing it has to be better.....everyone harps on about tesco(wick) taking trade out of thurso..and subsequently forgets the part homebase, argos, superdrug,pets at home etc have played in that part...if tesco thurso offers a bit more then surely folk are gonna stay this side and make do with the limited choice the rest of the town offers..if only cause it saves them the time and expense that travelling 20 miles offer them..

Absolutely correct grumpy1 - us out West, can now call into Thurso for our shopping (and fuel of course - which IS a big concern taking into consideration the distances we have to drive)..
    For those who missed the publication of when Tesco starts etc:

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...sco_store.html
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
    I think an Asda would be better in Thurso - we don't need another large Tesco in the county!! Ridiculous
    i agree 100%
    live each day as your last and remember to smile

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I think Tesco's new store will be an amazing advancement for Thurso. Not only will we be able to provide everyone with even more product choice, we will also have less products out of stock and fuller shelves due to a bigger warehouse (which we are currently struggling with since the takeover from Somerfields). And because Tesco are doing a new build it means the old site will be for sale to make way for another business to make their entrance in the town.

Matthew / Stock Control Assistant, Tesco Thurso
    Sniff, sniff......I think I can catch a whiff of something on the wind here. What can it be? Ah yes:-

As much as I would prefer an Asda for some competition and I know Matthew is spouting the company line something rotten I am glad for this development. Basically for the few simple reasons already mentioned:
    -cheaper petrol
    -decent, cheap, good sized clothes.
    -open on lunch hours

Most Thurso shops have nothing to worry about IMO. They already offer items the supermarkets don't. I can only advise them to look at opening over lunch times, and hey maybe the staff could smile once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    As much as I would prefer an Asda for some competition and I know Matthew is spouting the company line something rotten I am glad for this development. Basically for the few simple reasons already mentioned:
    -cheaper petrol
    -open on lunch hours

Most Thurso shops have nothing to worry about IMO. They already offer items the supermarkets don't. I can only advise them to look at opening over lunch times, and hey maybe the staff could smile once in a while.
    And sell really cheap booze

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    -cheaper petrol
    -open on lunch hours

Yes you're right there - would have preferred ASDA of course, but the Councillors were caught out - I had one ringing me up to say that ASDA can't have the Pennyland site, but would get the Mart, overlooking the fact that as soon as Tesco got a sniff, they would be in offering more than ASDA..
    I often wonder why these petrol retailers continue in business considering the miserable income they get - if it was that bad; leave the business, get out.. I read earlier that Tesco will force the other fuel retails out of business and as soon as they are gone, will push up their prices; eh? - remember the good old days, when the fuel difference between Inverness and Thurso was 12p a litre (I'd bring it up for 'em at that price)..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Default The Mart

A bit off topic, and it pre-dates me in Caithness, but why did the Mart close. I thought one area in Caithness that wasn't on the decline was farming ?

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Yes you're right there - would have preferred ASDA of course, but the Councillors were caught out - I had one ringing me up to say that ASDA can't have the Pennyland site, but would get the Mart, overlooking the fact that as soon as Tesco got a sniff, they would be in offering more than ASDA..
    I often wonder why these petrol retailers continue in business considering the miserable income they get - if it was that bad; leave the business, get out.. I read earlier that Tesco will force the other fuel retails out of business and as soon as they are gone, will push up their prices; eh? - remember the good old days, when the fuel difference between Inverness and Thurso was 12p a litre (I'd bring it up for 'em at that price)..
    Again more ill informed nonsense. Asda had first refusal on the Mart in writing from the development company that had acquired the land. They chose to call the councils bluff assuming that the planning application for Pennyland would be granted. When it was not and the mart site option was not taken up Tescos came in. Asda could have built on the mart had they wished.

why does this kind of post ALWAYS turn into a tesco/asda debate...
    i personally would like to see an Iceland up here.....
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

I think the thread title might have had something to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    I think the thread title might have had something to do with it
    lol... fair point...
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

i personally would like to see an Iceland up here.....
    Don't you dare bring Iceland into this debate or else it may erupt

Quote Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
    Don't you dare bring Iceland into this debate or else it may erupt
    that is really bad...but funny
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

I used to work for Tesco. There's no chance that they will sell the land on to a food retailer, they'll either sell it for houses (which I somehow don't see happening) or just sit on it like they do throughout the country.

really does it matter who, where, what happens in thurso, harping on about it on here is not going to change what happens, i personnaly think it will be good for thurso to get a decent supermarket up here that sells various other things, cause come on lets face it the shops in thurso on a whole at the moment arent very good and way over priced, so mayby its high time they got a wake up call.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    really does it matter who, where, what happens in thurso, harping on about it on here is not going to change what happens, i personnaly think it will be good for thurso to get a decent supermarket up here that sells various other things, cause come on lets face it the shops in thurso on a whole at the moment arent very good and way over priced, so mayby its high time they got a wake up call.
    Which shops would that be that aren't very good and need a wakeup call?
    Would that be the three cracking butchers, the two excellent fish shops? The three brilliant bakers. Perhaps you mean the excellent florists or is it the newsagents? Could you mean the off licences or the furniture places. Maybe it's the jewellers or the hardware shop?

We in Thurso are very lucky to have the independent shops everyone is so keen to knock. May I suggest that you visit other towns further south who have had a few more years and a lot more supermarket pressure. See if you enjoy your town populated by indian takeaways and charity shops alongside the boarded up premises.
    Better get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pentlander View Post
    Which shops would that be that aren't very good and need a wakeup call?
    Would that be the three cracking butchers, the two excellent fish shops? The three brilliant bakers. Perhaps you mean the excellent florists or is it the newsagents? Could you mean the off licences or the furniture places. Maybe it's the jewellers or the hardware shop?

We in Thurso are very lucky to have the independent shops everyone is so keen to knock. May I suggest that you visit other towns further south who have had a few more years and a lot more supermarket pressure. See if you enjoy your town populated by indian takeaways and charity shops alongside the boarded up premises.
    Better get used to it.
    come on, there is no decent toys shops, except if you are willing to pay over the odds for it, clothes shops now thats a joke unless ur a size 10 and under, we seem to be held a ransom up her and punished for living so far noryh with everything. im not saying that some of the local shops like the butchers are very good, but with 4 kids i really am looking forward to being able to get them nice clothes and sensiably priced toys, this is just my opinion and in the grand scheme of things it means nothing.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    come on, there is no decent toys shops, except if you are willing to pay over the odds for it, clothes shops now thats a joke unless ur a size 10 and under, we seem to be held a ransom up her and punished for living so far noryh with everything. im not saying that some of the local shops like the butchers are very good, but with 4 kids i really am looking forward to being able to get them nice clothes and sensiably priced toys, this is just my opinion and in the grand scheme of things it means nothing.
    I hear what you are saying. So you want another supermarket for kids toys and kids clothes. You may get that in a new tescos but you will lose far more.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast