Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patriotism in a multicultural society

Default Patriotism in a multicultural society

In another thread, oldmarine asked a fellow member about where his patriotism lay.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines a patriot as:
    "..a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it.."

Unfortunately it does not clarify from what a patriot is to defend it from

In todays multicultural Britain, to whom does a resident of the UK owe their allegiance to?
    To their country of birth
    Their new country
    Their religion
    Other beliefs

I
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

What do you think Anfield ?? .. seeing as you posed the question.

'Patriot' isn't word I really like.

It's a word that I find unsettling, especially in it's negative form of 'unpatriotic'....reminds me of McCarthyism a bit too much. As in if you don't agree with a certain viewpoint or attitude to the society that you live in - you must be 'unpatriotic' and not have that societies' best intentions at heart.

Goes along with swearing allegiance to a flag, it's not something that has a place in civilian and non-governmental life IMO.

I would say all of the above, with the caveat that if there is a conflict of interests, an immigrant ought to owe the 'allegiance to their host country, if they feel they cannot then really they ought to consider leaving.

Having said all that, it completely contradicts the behaviour of Brits living abroad

Patriotism is thinking that your country is superior because you were born in it.

Lightbulb

"Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Default Patriotism

[quote=Anfield;708907]In another thread, oldmarine asked a fellow member about where his patriotism lay.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines a patriot as:
    "..a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it.."

Unfortunately it does not clarify from what a patriot is to defend it from

In todays multicultural Britain, to whom does a resident of the UK owe their allegiance to?
    To their country of birth
    Their new country
    Their religion
    Other beliefs
    {/quote}

My opinion is at least for their new country if they are immigrating from another country. If they are born in Great Britain they should owe allegience to the country of their birth unless they give up their citizenship, then they should owe allegience to their new country. If their country outlaws their religious belief that becomes a difficult choice and they will have to deal with it accordingly. Other beliefs covers too large an area and would have to be dealt with accordingly depending upon how strongly they believed.

The USA is currently dealing with this issue for people pouring across our porous borders. Some of those people don't want to give up their citizenship with their former country and they don't want to accept the responsibilities of new citizenship in the USA. It becomes a sticky wicket.
    I served in the armed forces with men & women who enlisted for the purpose of gaining USA citizenship. They proved their worth by doing so and were granted their USA citizenship.

Patriotism is inclusive, Nationalism is divisive.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunken Duck View Post
    What do you think Anfield ?? .. seeing as you posed the question.
    My loyalties extend to family, friends and those people & animals who are denied the same basic rights that we take for granted.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade

Fair enough, I was just curious. Strikes me as a bit selfish though.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
    My opinion is at least for their new country if they are immigrating from another country. If they are born in Great Britain they should owe allegience to the country of their birth unless they give up their citizenship, then they should owe allegience to their new country. .
    But what about people who are displaced through no fault of their own, or those who find that the country that their parents brought them to, does not fit in with their beliefs, either religious or idealogical?. Whilst in a perfect world it would be fine if these people could relocate but we do not live in this utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    My loyalties extend to family, friends and those people & animals who are denied the same basic rights that we take for granted.
    Fair enough, I was just curious. Strikes me as a bit selfish though.
    What do you find selfish about my reply?

Dont remember that as one of your original options.

What do you find selfish about my reply?
    Just that it seems to be that you care about your own little circle and that's it.

For me, I have to have something bigger than just my own interests to commit to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    Dont remember that as one of your original options.
    I am confused. My post about loyalties is reproduced above #9 and also #11. What do you find is different

Just that it seems to be that you care about your own little circle and that's it.

For me, I have to have something bigger than just my own interests to commit to.
    So are you suggesting that I should add to my list and take up arms to defend all the racists, religious bigots of all denominations, class A drug dealers, children & animal abusers, corrupt business men, corrupt MP's parasitic members of the Windsor family etc etc. and nearly forgot Everton supporters

If you do not mind, I will leave all this crap to you

See what youve done there. Your first post was about patriotism then all of a sudden youve tweaked it to loyalties.

Obviously my Scouse m8 does not do patriotism - he is happy to have others defend him .

btw - why did his pigs want to leave home
    Q. If you see a Scouser on a bicycle, why should you never swerve to hit him?
    A: It might be your bicycle

Default Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    See what youve done there. Your first post was about patriotism then all of a sudden youve tweaked it to loyalties.
    Purely a case of semantics

Quote Originally Posted by Andfield View Post
    Obviously my Scouse m8 does not do patriotism - he is happy to have others defend him .

btw - why did his pigs want to leave home

They didn't. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by Commore View Post
    [/b]

They didn't. Simples.
    Very intelligent animals are pigs - a bit sharper than my Scouse m8.
    Q. If you see a Scouser on a bicycle, why should you never swerve to hit him?
    A: It might be your bicycle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast