Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad language.

Default Bad language.

It may be that I am a prude. I do not think that I am for I am a very liberal sort of person in my views.

But truly I am getting fed up with the amount of bad language in our newspapers - and in the media generally.

There are words that I was brought up not to use in company - and indeed if the children in our family use those words they are roundly told off.

But the moral high ground seems to be disappearing from under our feet as our great national dailies regularly use language that I am no stranger to, but imho should not be appearing in the national press.

Some years ago I shrugged when one of the big broadsheets began to use the F word on a regular basis- and now they use the C word, which as far as I am concerned is a great social taboo and never to be used out of context, and never in polite mix of people.

Look I have worked on farms and warehouses and building sites and have done my fair share of effing and blinding, but it seems to me and always has that there is a line where you just become a pottymouth.

And that is crude and unimaginative.

Some of our high flying journalists seem to use 'words' these days as a way of getting attention like a naughty little child, just for effect, then stepping back with a smile to see what the reaction will be to their dropping a whoopsie. Comedians often do the same.

And if you object then you are thought illiberal.

I am getting a little fed up with moral relativism lately - and perhaps more intolerant as I get older- but I think using swearwords and stuff society still sees as filthy language in newspapers is irresponsible, degrades our cultural life, and gives the wrong example to young people.

And I think they should exercise some responsibility and stop it.

So I think I will write to the editor of the Guardian and tell him why I am not going to buy his paper any more.

OK - so I'm a Fascist - sue me!

Hmmmm - methinks swear words are by far the least awful thing to be read in newspapers . . .

This may be a very controversial statement but at the end of the day they are just words.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Oh fer 's sake don't be such a ing wuss, ing just because there's a ing here or a ing ing there you wanna go and ing write a ing strongly ing worded letter to a ing ing ing wit editor of the ing ing Gruaniad.

Last edited by Phill; 15-May-10 at 22:30. Reason: I found a naughty word that the .org doesn't edit out! ;)

You have hit the nail on the head, Invis! You are young and are much more accepting of bad language. (Soz, JL, not callin you old!) Language is changing - some would argue not for the better - I feel it is just times moving on! I also don't think swearing shocks like it used to.

I admit to swearing ....
    But when angry, i, seem to go very polite for some unknown reason.
    I dont understand the need for the f word and the c word in usual conversation and if cursing use the swear word for poop!
    I dont really swear infront of my parents even though im grown up now, it seems disrespectaple somehow.
    But when you drop a sofa on your foot (losing your big toenail in the proccess) only the f word comes to your tongue

Dadie that would have helped with your pain - esp if you are not much of a swearer! I watched a wee thing on tv about it! Using swear words helps your ability to withstand pain but sadly it works better for people who do not swear as a matter of course.

I am not speaking of people swearing in everyday life and in their own space and situations. It's the media that bug me.

Indeed, John, but are we immitating the media (ie falling under their spell like they wish us to do) or are they merely goin with the times?

What story was it in particular John, that the swearing was in?
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

So your kids swear all round the hoose and tell ye to F off if they don't like what you say?

No they certainly don't!

Whos kids?
    Mine dont and if they did they would get the same soap treatment I did if they tried it!

Well there you go. So why have it in the papers?

Guardian Magazine today - back pages- Lucy Mangan.

But that's mild compared to some of the stuff I have read over the past few months.

It is getting more socially acceptable to swear.
    thinking of the F word on telly as 1 example...

So why accept on your telly, radio and papers etc what you won't have in your house?

I have to say I don't buy into the whole "people swear to make up for their inadequate vocabulary" thing. I have to agree bad language is probably overused and still used by some to shock but I think those people are labouring under a sad illusion.

I walk down the street and hear young lassies using the "F" word to end every sentence, I even hear them on the bus, even my own Granddaughters, it makes me cringe, I swear but only in the company of males, I would never think of swearing in front of my mother, I rarely swear in the company of females. I was at sea and sailors have a reputation for using salty language. I do think swearing is a lack of education, and a lack of vocabulary. I often get frustrated myself, but swear in front of a woman.......NIVER

Back in the dark ages of CB Radio I was a CB addict, Edinburgh was referred to by the Truckers as Bucketmouth City, because of the swearing used by the teenagers on air, especially the females describing in 4 letter terms what they had done to their boyfriends or vica versa the night before.
    Last edited by golach; 16-May-10 at 09:30.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

ohh im a bit of a swearer! I dont mean to do it, it just comes out sometimes! Dont swear infront of the kids, so the amount of times i have shouted out FUDGE today is unreal from bein ill.

Infront of kids i genenrally just say poop. Its a good word, everyone does poops so i can say that

But when playing something like Halo Reach tonight and some random player starts betraying me......nasty shelley is aboot!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

I too am of the same opinion that swearing in the media is much to be lamented. I also find swearing in general to be offensive although the odd profane oath when stubbing a toe, walking into a lampost and other incidents of that ilk is to be expected.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast