Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compulsary Voting

Default Compulsary Voting

Does anyone else agree with me that voting should be compulary in a general election.

Yes i definetely agree with you and also think voting age should be reduced to 16

It would of course be helpful if all the people who want to vote were allowed to do so.
    In several areas in England tonight they were turned away from polling stations.
    One polling station even ran out of voting forms.
    Drinking party in a brewery comes to mind
    Q. If you see a Scouser on a bicycle, why should you never swerve to hit him?
    A: It might be your bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Does anyone else agree with me that voting should be compulary in a general election.

No.

Ian.
    robertianrae.co.uk
    hutchthedog.co.uk

Certainly not as Andfield as said we can't even set up a polling station up and running proper.
    And what if you dont agree with any parties policies?

If you meant COMPULSORY, definitely not. The whole point of living in a democratic society is that you can choose whether to vote or not. How could you possibly enforce this??

7. Default

Well we live in a DEMOCRATIC country where you have the freedom to do as you wish,vote for a bunch of liars who promise you everything in their manifesto to get your vote and then adhere to very little of it....... or not vote.

No way.

You'd just get spoiled ballot papers from those who'd choose not to vote or even a 'protest' campaign voting a joke party in the same way rage against the machine got to number 1 or like those who write 'Jedi' as their religion.

Only those who care to vote should do so.

But 16 should be the age. If you can pay taxes and can die for your country you should get a vote.

Also, I think people should only be entitiled to a vote if they live here and have done so for at least 16 years. Tax dodgers and ex pats voting annoys me

Definately not, but I'd certainly be happy with a change to some form of electoral reform such as Proportional Representation.

no

peggy

I think voting should be compulsory with an option on the ballot paper to tick "none of the above"!!!

or even be able to vote from your home via online voting. it would help everyone that is house bound, reduce the High numbers at poll stations and prob. increase voters as well. wish i could vote but as im just a lowly resident and not a citizen i cant.
    http://itqueries.com/

[quote=piratelassie;702854]Does anyone else agree with me that voting should be compulary in a general election.[/quote

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Definately not, but I'd certainly be happy with a change to some form of electoral reform such as Proportional Representation.
    I'm don't like the word 'compulsory' Piratelassie but the 61% turnout in the area in yesterday's General Election was a disgrace - what were folk thinking about.

I certainly agree with you Bob, the UK, need to change to Proportional Representation...

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    or even be able to vote from your home via online voting. it would help everyone that is house bound, reduce the High numbers at poll stations and prob. increase voters as well. wish i could vote but as im just a lowly resident and not a citizen i cant.

I voted from my home Brandy - I have a Postal Vote.

Yes voting should be compulsory as it is in Australia. It's all about citizenship, responsibility, duty etc. etc. However I agree with aidipi there should be a "none of the above" alternative and this should be counted and publicised as part of the results.
    As things are democracy in this country is a sham, the 'first past the post' system has too many faults.
    We need a much more robust system to make MPs accountable and sackable.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Australia has been mentioned already they have a fine if you don't vote. Other countries make it difficult to get passports etc if you don't vote.

I'm not sure about it being compulsory, I'm of the opinion that you should have to pass an exam on issues and basic reasoning and logic to be able to vote. I'd raise the age for everything, including voting to 21. Also I want proportional representation in everything and the ability to force an MPs recall and hold hold a party to its manifesto within reason.

Compulsory voting? Perhaps only those who vote should be entitled to Government benefits, tax rebates, etc. That would put a different slant on things!

Voting at age 16 is a joke. Thats a "wee Eck" policy to try and win votes from those too impressionable to think for themselves. I'd raise the age to 40.
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    Compulsory voting? Perhaps only those who vote should be entitled to Government benefits, tax rebates, etc. That would put a different slant on things!
    They could be made exempt from paying taxes as well.

I think the point of a democracy is that people have one day every four years when they have the right to choose for themselves. Every personal right or freedom taken from the people brings us one step closer to a dictatorship.

I think it should be. In Australia it is compulsory. There is a problem though because maybe no one on the ballot paper is who you would want to vote for - in which case you could spoil the paper, but you have still voted. I have always believed that men and women were given the vote after so long of not having it by people who died for us to have that liberty. If for no other reason it should be done for them.

Quote Originally Posted by achingale View Post
    I think it should be. In Australia it is compulsory. There is a problem though because maybe no one on the ballot paper is who you would want to vote for - in which case you could spoil the paper, but you have still voted. I have always believed that men and women were given the vote after so long of not having it by people who died for us to have that liberty. If for no other reason it should be done for them.
    We should be dictated to what we must do in the name of Liberty?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast