Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wind turbines pointless

Default Wind turbines pointless

Regarding objections to wind turbines: representations to planning boards are supposed to pertain to practical matters of implementation, rather than the validity of the proposals. Hence in this instance we can be expected to comment on visual intrusion for residents of Scotland visitors, strobe noise etc. but not to question the merits of large scale wind generation.
    But the proposals are so grossly misconceived that it makes sense for us to add to the growing chorus of criticism by knowledgeable voices that can neither be motivated by nimbyism or vested interest in maintaining the status quo.
    The output being intermittent and in relative terms very low, a massive so-called “back-up” system must remain in place. Since this system inevitably comprises a combination of fossil-fuel, nuclear and hydro power both direct generation and pump storage the variable and unpredictable wind generation element constitutes nothing more than a complication involving far more trouble and expense than is justified by its meagre contribution.
    If in 25 years or so we are spending billions in getting rid of rusting forests of derelict wind turbines, we will look back on the folly of backing this pointless, discredited technology. When there are green technologies that could make a serious difference, it is sad to see such environmental vandalism.

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Still pointless what ever form they come in, nuclear, hydro energy is the only the way forward!

Maybe but Caithness is very rich in wind. Could mean a lot of jobs.....

Even if there were wind turbines coast to coast right across Caithness and Sutherland there would be no consistant supply of electrickery. Output would vary so much that an alternative supply would still have to be used.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I make no point on that for I know nothing - but it seems to me that if it makes for jobs etc and all that go with it, then...... you know?

I make no point on that for I know nothing - but it seems to me that if it makes for jobs etc and all that go with it, then...... you know?
    Could you please enlighten us as to how many full time permanent jobs would be created from say the thirty turbine wind farm proposed for Spittal Hill? Sure, there will be jobs during construction, the same with any big industrial project, but they will all go to the successful bidders for the work, possibly from outwith the area. Long term jobs are a myth that is bandied about along with all the other myths to sweeten the bitter pill that is a discredited technology.

Why I have not the faintest idea how many jobs would be created that were full time and permanent. I was responding to the vision raised by this;

"If in 25 years or so we are spending billions in getting rid of rusting forests of derelict wind turbines, ..."

I assume- as seems natural, that if there are proposals to build these things then they will need to be constructed. They will need foundations and service roads. They will then need maintenance crews, depots, drivers, people to paint them, engineers, electricians etc.

In fact it seems a logical thing to me that if you create an industry from scratch then it will create a number of jobs, possibly a large number.

If windfarms are a permanent and large scale feature then logistically the crews would have to be locally based. I assume that they would generate a certain amount of income in the local economy.

None of this seems outlandish to me.

As to discreditted technology , I know nothing and I say nothing.

If you read my original post, I merely speculated as to the jobs that might be created.

Is that allowed?

Maybe but Caithness is very rich in wind. Could mean a lot of jobs.....
    Well, is it still true that Caithness is rich in wind? When I came here in 1999, people walked at an angle almost all of the time against the wind. It was constant, but that is not the case nowadays.

You raise my hopes that when my wife and I set our proposed Caithness cycling tour in action in 2011 it might be a success!

Last time was hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Could you please enlighten us as to how many full time permanent jobs would be created from say the thirty turbine wind farm proposed for Spittal Hill? Sure, there will be jobs during construction, the same with any big industrial project, but they will all go to the successful bidders for the work, possibly from outwith the area. Long term jobs are a myth that is bandied about along with all the other myths to sweeten the bitter pill that is a discredited technology.
    Actually there are long term jobs,but they have to be willing to travel all over constructing the turbines,the actual farms when completed dont need very many people to keep them running though so theres a bit of truth in both statements x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post

my partner works FULL time in a permanent job puttin up wind turbines and mantaining them. and there are thousands of jobs in the uk which are in the wind industry. i myself think that the wind turbines are nice to look at.

There will not be many permanent jobs in Caithness and nothing like as many as there could be if the money spent on windfarms was spent instead on improving buildings to make them carbon neutral. This would provide a permanent solution to many of our energy problems and reduce household bills. Wind energy is going to make electricity prices soar as we pay for the huge subsidies.

There are jobs during construction of windfarms, although many will not be local, but after that very few and certainly not enough to compensate for the probable reduction in tourists who won't come to Caithness to look at an industrial landscape.

John Little - if you want to learn more look at this website
    http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/index.htm
    Last edited by badger; 30-Apr-10 at 21:56.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by calderj View Post
    my partner works FULL time in a permanent job puttin up wind turbines and mantaining them. and there are thousands of jobs in the uk which are in the wind industry. i myself think that the wind turbines are nice to look at.
    Mmm... Do you live next to 30?

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Just interested ducati, do you live next to 30?

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    Just interested ducati, do you live next to 30?
    Not yet

Not yet
    What do you mean "Not yet"?

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    What do you mean "Not yet"?
    Yes I was referring to the map posted recently of the proposed windfarms in Caithness.

We have seen how little success can be had from objecting or attending planning meetings.

The area I live in between Wick and Thurso, you won't be able to look in any direction without a (mostly large) windfarm in view.

no but i wouldnt mind then my partner wouldnt have 2 go far 2 work lol x

Quote Originally Posted by calderj View Post
    no but i wouldnt mind then my partner wouldnt have 2 go far 2 work lol x
    Will your partner get work from the thousands of off-shore wind turbines that are proposed or does he just do on-shore? Just curious how the system works.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast