Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Wanted On Fishing Thurso River

Default Advice Wanted On Fishing Thurso River

Hi ppl,

Im coming up to thurso in july to see friends and family and was thinking of fishing thurso river when i came up.

I Just wanted to know what fishing licesencs do i need to fish the river also is there a charge for fishing it. The reason im asking because i found a website that said its £75 a day to fish it and your only aloud to fly fish it.

Is there any anglers on this forum that could fill me in on the info i need.

Regards andy

http://www.thursofisheries.co.uk/river.html
    http://www.thurso-river.co.uk/

Prolly best to contact:

Eddie McCarthy
    River Superintendents House
    Braal Road
    Halkirk
    Caithness
    Scotland
    KW12 6XE

eddiemccarthy@supanet.com
    +44 (1847) 831591

Happy hunting

Cheers sandtiger for the info.

The river has alot of rules is that because its mainly salmon and trout in there. Just i fish alot of rivers were i live and never heard of rules like thurso river has.

Like only alound to use certain baits and rods etc.

Regards Andy

Can't help you on the intracasies of fly fishing mate, since it is a dark art as far as I'm concerned, compared to my pursuit of Sea Angling in these parts but get in touch with Eddie for all the gen and if you fancy a day at sea then also let us know
    Last edited by SandTiger; 02-Jun-06 at 21:27.

Ye mate not to keen on the idea of fly fishing myself. Im a carp angler so never touched a fly rod in my life.

What's wrong with using a big net? I'm sure that's what most folk do..
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Ill tell te tomorrow Connie as Im going out with Charlatans from Dunnet, I think we need a miracle!! Sand Tiger, any good bits over at Dunnet side of the bay? I know its the raft race later on for us but were gona have a cast first

Astra Guest

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    What's wrong with using a big net? I'm sure that's what most folk do..
    Yes and that as caused problems on wick river . It costs me £70 a year and some sod nets it Grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Roses
    Ill tell te tomorrow Connie as Im going out with Charlatans from Dunnet, I think we need a miracle!! Sand Tiger, any good bits over at Dunnet side of the bay? I know its the raft race later on for us but were gona have a cast first
    just seen this and you are probably fishing now
    dunnet beach itself holds schoolie bass, flatties and doggies, castletown harbour if your casting is better than mine holds coley, pollack and the odd cod, never tried murkle though and dwarwick i have only ever caught a doggie from there but others have had pollack and coley.

hope that helps you.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Cool

Charlatans is sacked as skipper, thats twice weve been out & got zero, mind ypou he was scared of the waves, Ill let him off with that as he`s not from caithness.
    We had a go at Dwarick pier - the fish are still swimming proudly to be honest .

Oh well there always next Sunday!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider202
    Ye mate not to keen on the idea of fly fishing myself. Im a carp angler so never touched a fly rod in my life.
    Caithness is the wrong place for freshwater fishing if you arent a fly fisher. It is fly only on all the rivers. Loch calder allows bait and spinners but that is it all the other lochs are fly only as well. Permission varies from loch to loch and river to river. Hugo Ross in wick will be able to let you know where and how much fishing costs. www.hugoross.co.uk
    Of course casting off the rocks or beaches into the sea will be free. But I dont know anything about sea angling

Default Big waves

Yep, not used to big waves, us west coaters are used to wee lumps.

No fish and no beer. Didn't even make it to the raft race.

Still if Stone Roses wasn't so shy of the water (an aversion from Childhood I hear) he'd maybe catch a fish or two. But then again, would he know what to do with it if he ever did catch one?

Sorry I missed your post last night Stone Roses - Bed was calling and spent the day doing Bay Trips at the Gala which raised £101 in donations for the Fisherman's Mission

It's hard to suggest marks without knowing what your boats limitations are but I'm sure Murkle would have been calm today.

Good luck with the next trip out.

Quote Originally Posted by the charlatans
    Yep, not used to big waves, us west coaters are used to wee lumps.

No fish and no beer. Didn't even make it to the raft race.

Still if Stone Roses wasn't so shy of the water (an aversion from Childhood I hear) he'd maybe catch a fish or two. But then again, would he know what to do with it if he ever did catch one?
    You missed a great race, i just put up some pics have a look at my thread i just posted .
    you wanna try sea fishing with us one day, it's a scream
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Default Big waves, small fish

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress
    You missed a great race, i just put up some pics have a look at my thread i just posted .
    you wanna try sea fishing with us one day, it's a scream
    Hi Tugmistress, would love to learn from local fishing/boating folk. Give us a shout next time you're out and got space for a small one. Or youre welcome to come out on my wee boat.

As for the raft race, I was only going over to hurl abuse at work mates. Just been down to Dunnet Beach for Razors... all in all a pretty fruitless day, cold beer awaits, I keep the fridge well stocked with that particular species... Will try Reiss Beach tomorrow.

Astra Guest

You can fish wick river for about £20 pound a day visitor pass and you can use fly or worm at this time of year

Quote Originally Posted by Astra
    You can fish wick river for about £20 pound a day visitor pass and you can use fly or worm at this time of year
    You can fish it through the night for nothing!!! I've got a big net you can borrow.

Astra Guest

No thanks Connie, as netting Salmon is illegal in Scotland and carries a very hefty fine which can lead to a prison sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Astra
    No thanks Connie, as netting Salmon is illegal in Scotland and carries a very hefty fine which can lead to a prison sentence.
    It's only illegal if you get caught!!

Astra Guest

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    It's only illegal if you get caught!!
    And caught you will get .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast