Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Continental Market

Thumbs down Continental Market

As you could see again we have the Continental (rip off) Market back on our Market Square again. I for one feel they should pay thier own way and not be subsidized by the Highland Council (HC) well (ok us).

As far as I am aware they get everything given to them Free Gratis from the HC. Accommodation, Electric, Pitching fee's, Refuse collection as well as Grant for coming here in the first place, even some hidden one's that we do not know about.

What about the local shopkeeper's who have to scrimp and save to keep a living year in year out without a penny back from the HC, but yes they do get a demand for more rates "pay up now if not your sunk" but yet they throw ten of thousand's of pound's to these travelling people who rip you off even with your eye's open.

How do you all feel.
    Not all chillies are hot but do not be deceived

can't we all just get along?

anyways.. the council claim they're poor but, they're bloomin' rollin' in it, they're pullin' the wool. Budget is one thing comprehensive accounts are another.

Quote Originally Posted by sjwahwah
    can't we all just get along?

anyways.. the council claim they're poor but, they're bloomin' rollin' in it, they're pullin' the wool. Budget is one thing comprehensive accounts are another.
    No! your are missing the point why subsidize outside traders, look after yer local shop owning rate payer's first.

economy and commerce is ABOUT diversity.

Competition from the outside makes the local businesses better, refreshing and higher quality of goods and service. It is monopoly we should worry about. Simple as that.

subsidize.. there's a red flag.

eckbh Guest

Default continental market

Just been there today and they are ripping us off, prices have shot up since their last visit

economy and commerce is ABOUT diversity.

Competition from the outside makes the local businesses better, refreshing and higher quality of goods and service. It is monopoly we should worry about. Simple as that.
    Once again you are missing the point, how can you call the Continental Market competiton when you have already said it is the monopoly we should worry about. They have the monopoly for the next 4 day's, they have nothing to lose.

i'm talking about homebase and tescos not travelling markets!

i'm talking about homebase and tescos not travelling markets!
    Ok, Hombase, Tesco, Asda, Newlook, Superdrug, Coop ,Safeway they all pay their rate's the Continental Market pay's nothing, we pay for them to sit there and rip us off. For example today on one stall you got 3 sausage,s for £10.00.

don't buy it then?!?

everbodies gotta make a livin'... can't we just all get along?

:-)

If you dont like the prices then dont go there. I for one like the market. The prices are all displayed before you buy. I dont mind paying a bit extra to get something different. After all its only once a year. I think its great to see such a busy market place no matter where they come from. If its so bad why is it so popular every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillie
    No! your are missing the point why subsidize outside traders, look after yer local shop owning rate payer's first.
    But you're quite happy for tesco to come and rip to rear out of your local traders?

Default Continental Market

It's good for the town, and the local traders are getting a spin off from the people who wont normally come into the town centre. Stop complaining and look on the brighter side.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero
    But you're quite happy for tesco to come and rip to rear out of your local traders?
    I don't see Tesco ripping the heart out of the community.
    The same applies in Wick as Asda does in Thurso.
    Local shops who make the effort to keep the local trade will keep their loyal customers, and may get more from the people that Tesco/Asda will bring into the town, rather than have to go to Inverness. Tesco's will have an effect on the two local supermarkets and that will be good for the customers, as some pretty sharp marketing will have to take place between them all.
    Homebase will be competition for builders merchants, but good marketing will alleviate this.
    AS to the continental market - well it's just another attraction for some - If people don't want to pay the prices they won't - but people will still come to have a look - and that is why they are subsidised by the council.
    You can fool some of the people some of the time - but never all of the people all of the time!!

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    I don't see Tesco ripping the heart out of the community.
    The same applies in Wick as Asda does in Thurso.
    Local shops who make the effort to keep the local trade will keep their loyal customers, and may get more from the people that Tesco/Asda will bring into the town, rather than have to go to Inverness. Tesco's will have an effect on the two local supermarkets and that will be good for the customers, as some pretty sharp marketing will have to take place between them all.
    Homebase will be competition for builders merchants, but good marketing will alleviate this.
    Well said JimH.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillie
    It is probably down to money. The CM is only here once a year and a bit of dig money probably won't stretch to a lot in the grand scheme of things. However, if what what your proposing is to give the same to the local traders then you will obviously have to fork out lodgings or shop rent money for them for week in week out which will amount to a fair-old-wack on your community charge. Personally, I prefer to pay a little for a large amount of diversity instead of a lot for the usual dross.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Also noticed that not all the stalls are back. We must have scared them off!

The market brings in people to the town creating a lively atmosphere and most likely increasing business for the local shops. I went to Wick instead of Thurso yesterday so that I could have a look at the market as well. I didn't buy anything at the market but did go into 3 other shops to spend my cash.

As someone else said, all the prices are displayed and no-one is forcing you to buy their goods. I didn't think that the prices were that bad actually. Lighten up and just enjoy something different for goodness sake!

Plus the proceeds of the raffle are going towards a local project - the creation of the Bank Row garden.

I have been down a look at the market, prices are clearly displayed etc, they have a great selection of cheeses and sausages as well as many other things which we don't normally get from the local shops, not even Tesco or Asda. I have no problem with them.
    The local shops all scream about being ripped off by this or that market or supermarket, I would have thought they would have learned something about marketing ages ago, when people began going to Inverness do do their months shopping. I realise they have not got the buying power of Tesco or Asda, but if they had quality and varied stock, people would not mind paying the prices. There are many small delicatessan shops in Inverness that have thrived because of the supermarkets simply because they are selling quality and varied produce, when you do that people do not mind paying a fair price.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

If there are any Poles selling pictures then I'm not going to it!

BTW what time do they shut up shop this evening?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast