Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile phones: A good idea??

Default Mobile phones: A good idea??

I've just outlined my thoughts in a another thread.
    Although I've had them before my last mobile went largely unused for three years and wouldn't work at all when exhumed from a drawer the other week.
    My wife bought me another one for my birthday recently.
    I do not think much of the concept. Obviously there are good and bad points concerning mobiles.

On balance are they a positive or negative development for society? The genie is out of the bottle now of course and there is no going back but I thought it might prove an interesting debating point.
    Last edited by landmarker; 21-May-06 at 20:18. Reason: I wrote 'recently' twice in successive sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker
    I've just outlined my thoughts in a another thread.
    Although I've had them before my last mobile went largely unused for three years and wouldn't work at all when exhumed from a drawer the other week.
    My wife bought me another one for my birthday recently.
    I do not think much of the concept. Obviously there are good and bad points concerning mobiles.

On balance are they a positive or negative development for society? The genie is out of the bottle now of course and there is no going back but I thought it might prove an interesting debating point.
    Awright if you want a brain tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner
    Awright if you want a brain tumour.
    Exactly! I've never owned one & hopefully never will and am shocked at the way they have turned society for the worse! Every where I turn people texting... people talking about nothing really loudly on the bus. Not to mention.. totally detrimental to your health.. heating up your brain 3 degrees everytime you use it. Plus, all the folk that live in the cross hairs of all the masts ( I do right now sadly) Must say though I've been considering one of these data cards for the computer but, don't really wanna contribute to this scourge!

I find them very useful, particularly when I'm out and about on my bike in case of an accident. In my hill walking days, I always used to carry one in case one of the party had an accident of some sort, but often found that I had no reception in particular areas, so in some cases they were useless. Overall I think they are very useful when used properly, particularly when my wife wanders off in the shops when we are in a city, I always manage to find her (when I want to). My only objection to them is, that some people do not know when switch them off, particularly when you are in the cinema or theatre, or some other such place, they can be very annoying.

I must admit that I do like to get away from the world for a few days or so sometimes, so as I can shut myself off in the hills or some such place, have the phone with me but switched off, just incase I need it. I know the purists among you will say I'm not really away from it all as long as the phone is with me. Perhaps your right, but I guess it acts as my security blanket.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

I guess we can say goodbye to the news stories of some chap sawing off his arm to escape a hillwalking accident.

Quote Originally Posted by sjwahwah
    Exactly! I've never owned one & hopefully never will and am shocked at the way they have turned society for the worse! Every where I turn people texting... people talking about nothing really loudly on the bus. Not to mention.. totally detrimental to your health.. heating up your brain 3 degrees everytime you use it. Plus, all the folk that live in the cross hairs of all the masts ( I do right now sadly) Must say though I've been considering one of these data cards for the computer but, don't really wanna contribute to this scourge!
    But it's good to talk talk

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    But it's good to talk talk
    i couldnt be without mine,it makes a great door-stop.

Have one that sits uncharged in a drawer somwhere although I do charge it and take with if I'm going outwith the town.

As for phones in cinemas etc the French have the right idea:
    http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0...9125045,00.htm

I have one too, but don't use it very often, though it is handy when your out and about, and to keep track of the kids when their out somewhere and their late home for dinner
    Always remember your unique, just like everyone else

Niall, the French idea of blocking all phone reception may seem like a good idea but I am not for it. On the odd occasion that my hubby and I get out to the cinema together I have my phone on silent in case the baby sitter needs us.

How about just dragging the offenders outside and photographing them so that they are not allowed back again!! Surely the humiliation would put them off doing it again?

I guess we can all have problems in public places, but I wonder how we ever managed in these places before mobile phones we invented. I think it is probably OK to keep phone in silent mode, and go outside to answer.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Murdina Bug, I cannot agree with that one. If you have a reason that requires you to leave your phone on all the time, then should you really be going out to the cinema?

I used to have to be contactable 24 hours a day, and found the mobile a god send. If i was in a public place I would put it on silent alert and move somewhere quiet to answer. It can be done without annoying people.
    I did see some pillock prancing about on a corner in the city making a big thing about talking to somebody - unfortunately for him, his phone rang whilst he was talking.
    Mobile phones must be a god send to parents wanting to keep tabs on their children.
    You can fool some of the people some of the time - but never all of the people all of the time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie
    Murdina Bug, I cannot agree with that one. If you have a reason that requires you to leave your phone on all the time, then should you really be going out to the cinema?
    For some of us, being able to go out and have the mob on silent/vibrate is the only way we get the chance of having a social life.

Typical that the ignorant few again spoil things for the majority.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

i use mine mainly for texting, i hate usin the fone. landline, mobile or whatever.
    annoys me when you hear ringtones set on full volume, is it necessary? and should just be common courtesy to switch off when yer in the pictures or in a restaurant or similar. even more annoying when you see people using them INSIDE hospitals!!
    it's a sair fecht

What's the difference between somebody talking on a mobile and having to listen to the life stories if every numbskull on a bus or in a restaurant.
    At such times I usually find that the most irritating thing is some loudmouth doing their best to be the centre of attention. This is only slightly more annoying than the person who insists that you couldn't possibly want to miss the opportunity to become engaged in conversation with them.
    At least when I'm on the phone I have some chance of ignoring them.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

I don't like loud or annoying ringtones on phones, they are completely unnecessary and are very annoying to all around. I believe folk can have a 'organic' sound option like birds twittering or other less intrusive sounds or the vibe option.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

communication. mobiles have helped people connect with people we havnt seen in a long time. if u want to use them, use them.

I have a mobile and it is a god send would not be without it. Its really handy if im working and i have to phone home to check on my baby which i do every day. So what if people have diffrent ring tones some of them i find quite amusing and so what if there loud and as the saying goes if the music to loud youre getting to old.

If only people were as considerate as some in here.
    Interesting comments for which I thank thee.
    I wince when I hear the occasional banal ringtone. Of course it's wrong to be judgemental (I suppose) but you can't help musing to yourself 'what a pratt'
    when one hears a silly noise as the precursor to an incoming call.

Mind you, I once had the sound of a 1340cc. vee twin heralding most functions of my computer. That was a long time ago though and it was entirely private.

I personally think camera phones should be outlawed. Given the rise of personal assaults filmed for entertainment. Mobiles have made many the target for streets robbers. I do not like to see kids with their ears clamped to phones at tender ages. Eery time I see somebody stood at a bus stop,or simply walking down the street staring into their hand held device I roll my eyes. So many of these tied in contracts result in 'free minutes' which are used simply because they are there. The resultant conversations, when public, should be enough to induce termination by a bolt of lightning from above.

I understand that some folk see them as essential pieces of kit, but we all managed for so long. Is all 'progress' good. I see delivery drivers wired up for sound with 'Madonna' type fancy bits of plastic stuck in their earhole.
    I could never submit myself to such indignity. An automaton , permanently on call. I think it's slightly de-humanising.

Whenever I see drivers holding phones I want to scream. It happens many times a day, and most of them are women.This offence should be punishable with six points minimum.

But then I'm a traditionalist old trumper and happy to admit it.

On balance,in my opinion mobiles have been a negative for society. Big Brother (the state, not the prog) will always know where you are and where you have been. Bothered? Me neither, not really, but it is worth thinking about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast