Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Knitting

Default Knitting

I'm going to start knitting again after many years but I'd like to know what's the best kind of wool to use that doesn't shrink in the wash.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

It should tell you on the yarn label if it's machine washable - most yarns with at least 50% wool in them will shrink, but some have been treated to make them machine washable. You might be better off starting with an acrylic blend, or if you see "with wool" on the label then it's generally less than 30% wool.

HTH

Righto!
    So what would be the best yarn for knitting baby items?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

All patterns tell you what wool they require, to start with just go by the pattern. When you get more used to it you can choose your own materials.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Righto!
    So what would be the best yarn for knitting baby items?
    Depending on the weight/thickness of yarn in your pattern I like using Sirdar Snuggly or Sirdar Supersoft Toddler Aran. In fact lots of yarns of made specifically for baby knits will say something like "baby" or "toddler" on the label. Go and find a yarn shop and squeeze some, see what you like!

I made a lace patterned cardigan years ago with white speckled baby wool which produced specks of mint green, lemon, pink and blue randomly throughout, just done to a double knitting pattern. It is still an "at home huggie" and much loved. So soft even after hundreds of washes. Reckon it is about 18 or 20 years old now.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today