PDA

View Full Version : missing file

katarina
21-Feb-10, 13:46
I appear to have file bin\awt.dll missing from my computer. subsequently java does not work and I cannot download update. Trying to fine it on net, I have come accross umteen programs that give me a fee scan, find thousands of registry errors, then I have to buy full program to clear them. I don't know what to trust. Help please.

charlie
21-Feb-10, 18:48
Would it not be simplest (and safest) to use Control Panel - Add/Remove programmes and uninstall your current version of Java entirely?

Then go and download the current version of JAVA as a new installation.

That will save you downloading anything dodgy

Bobinovich
21-Feb-10, 19:40
Charlie's right - uninstall Java then you should be able to install the latest version. It's possible that your temporary files may be causing the installation problem too, so running Disk Cleanup (Start > All Programs . Accessories > System Tools on Win XP) first and ensuring it clears out Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files.

As for programs which report that you have loads of errors and will get rid of them once you've paid for it they're a load of tosh! Download the free Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org) program, update it and run a full scan - that'll check your system for any nasties which have crept in. Also ensure you've got a decent up-to-date anti-virus package.

dx100uk
22-Feb-10, 03:25
pers
i would be VERY care full on this
attacks to that file are a well known by product of a failed trojan attack.

you can get it from here:
http://www.dll4free.com/dsplus/m.php?p=awt.dll.zip

click on the blue link at the bottom.

however i'd strongly recommend running:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/center/howsafe.htm?s_cid=mscom_msrt

first.

if all turns out ok

i'd run chkdsk c: /f /r

[start/run/cmd, then type in the above.

follow what charlie/bobn says though rather than getting a further error if you dont install the .dll from its correct place

uninstall java, i'd recommend Ccleaner for that under tools icon, you might aswell run the reg cleaner under tools too.

there are a couple of other .dll's that typically get hit by this form of attack, the flash player one springs to mind too.

dx

katarina
22-Feb-10, 15:21
thanks to all who gave me an answer. i wilkl try the above. I'm also getting the message that file BHO.dll is missing.

Bobinovich
22-Feb-10, 16:33
According to a quick Google search BHO.dll is a file from a Malware program anyway so it doesn't matter it it's gone. As before a Malwarebytes scan should remove the reference to it, along with anything else it finds.

katarina
22-Feb-10, 19:00
pers
i would be VERY care full on this
attacks to that file are a well known by product of a failed trojan attack.

you can get it from here:
http://www.dll4free.com/dsplus/m.php?p=awt.dll.zip

click on the blue link at the bottom.

however i'd strongly recommend running:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/center/howsafe.htm?s_cid=mscom_msrt

first.

if all turns out ok

i'd run chkdsk c: /f /r

[start/run/cmd, then type in the above.

follow what charlie/bobn says though rather than getting a further error if you dont install the .dll from its correct place

uninstall java, i'd recommend Ccleaner for that under tools icon, you might aswell run the reg cleaner under tools too.

there are a couple of other .dll's that typically get hit by this form of attack, the flash player one springs to mind too.

dx

I've got vista. when I click on start, I just get the search option. how do I run the checkdisk? And when I click on the blue link, what do i do then? When I click on the protection scan button, nothing happens.

dx100uk
22-Feb-10, 19:35
see below
dx

dx100uk
22-Feb-10, 19:51
ok sorry i see vista now.

you will need to type CMD in the search bar.

as for the protection scan

you should see a pop up bar at the top of the IE screen come up
click it and select ok or install or allow etc.

the follow the screen prompts

dx

katarina
24-Feb-10, 11:20
No i get a black file with some info on it .

dx100uk
24-Feb-10, 11:53
on that screen type

chkdsk c: /f /r

then hit return

say yes or Y

then restart your PC

dx

katarina
11-Mar-10, 14:32
on that screen type

chkdsk c: /f /r

then hit return

say yes or Y

then restart your PC

dx

I had it sorted. everything worked for a while. Now the same thing is happening again. when I do the above I get the message; 'access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. you have to evoke this utility running in elevated mode.'
what's that when it's at home?

dx100uk
11-Mar-10, 20:05
you need to log in on a user with administrator privs

then
type cmd in the search bar thn as above

dx

katarina
11-Mar-10, 20:35
you need to log in on a user with administrator privs

then
type cmd in the search bar thn as above