PDA

View Full Version : Vhs to dvd

joejoe02
19-Feb-10, 20:13
I want to put all my old VHS tapes onto DVDs, I purchased a Easycap usb 2.0 video adaptor - but can't get it to work and now believe it is not compliant with vista. From experience what is the best way to do this? Which adaptor is best and is easy and will work with Vista (nothing to complicate). Has anybody got any experience????

Thank you in anticipation.

dx100uk
19-Feb-10, 20:41
cause it works with vista.

what issue are you having.

dx

lazytown
19-Feb-10, 22:04
here is a link for the easycap under vista
http://www.szforwardvideo.com/support/Supp_2_2.html

I had the same probs when i bought mine from ebay. works great now.. I can use my jvc hd camcorder as a web cam, record from any device now that has at least a scart connection or the audio/video connections or s-video output.

joejoe02
20-Feb-10, 12:15
Thank you both. Bought it on line but never got any instructions on loading or using it.

joejoe02
22-Feb-10, 19:40
Have tried everything and still can't download my vhs films to dvd. System can't seem to connect with camera or old vhs video.

Any ideas????

EDDIE
28-Feb-10, 10:22
To be honest about i wouldnt bother if i was you because lets say u do manage to copy all those vhs tape to a blank dvd what then? 5years later you buy another dvd or blu ray player the blank discs you used are no longer compatabile with your player but having said that give another 5 to 10 years you wont get players its going to be the big data cloud were everything is streamed.
As an idea would it be nicer and a better experience to just store all these vhs tapes away in sealed bag with a working vhs recorder and as time goes buy just watch the vhs tape the way it was watched back then when the film was made give another 5 years vhs will turn retro sometimes its nice to show a younger generation a film in vhs it will be novelty to them if they have never seen a vhs tape before?
The min you copy your own vhs tape its sounds stupid but thats what it is illegal copy of a film

jimbews
28-Feb-10, 13:01
To be honest about i wouldnt bother if i was you because lets say u do manage to copy all those vhs tape to a blank dvd what then? 5years later you buy another dvd or blu ray player the blank discs you used are no longer compatabile with your player but having said that give another 5 to 10 years you wont get players its going to be the big data cloud were everything is streamed.
As an idea would it be nicer and a better experience to just store all these vhs tapes away in sealed bag with a working vhs recorder and as time goes buy just watch the vhs tape the way it was watched back then when the film was made give another 5 years vhs will turn retro sometimes its nice to show a younger generation a film in vhs it will be novelty to them if they have never seen a vhs tape before?
The min you copy your own vhs tape its sounds stupid but thats what it is illegal copy of a film
Surely that depends on what's ON the tapes.
If its the likes of family videos get them copied AND store the originals.
I'm pleased with the quality of video taken on an analogue camcorder where I re-copied them from the camcorder onto a hard disk/DVD recorder. Also have connected a VHS recorder to that for other material. That way - if its illegal to copy it probably won't. And of course if you can connect via RGB (as with a SCART lead) the quality will be better.
Probably even better to do this to a computer because if the material is in digital form there are always likely to be ways of copying onto new formats. I wouldn't like to guarantee it, but I'd be reasonably sure the best quality (although probably pointless if the original is from a camcorder with composite video only) would be by copying a VHS tape via SCART to a DVD recorder, then using that DVD in a PC to rip the video. And it gives the opportunity to backup, backup, backup (as with any other important data, preferably with a copy held somewhere else).
Remember:
Tapes can get damaged by magnets, motors, etc.
Hard disks don't last for ever.
Optical media we are recommended to re-copy every 2 years and even a small scratch on the top surface can destroy the disk.
Memory sticks - I've seen a few of these after they have exploded!
And don't keep the backup with the original in case of fire, flood, theft...

EDDIE
28-Feb-10, 15:11
Surely that depends on what's ON the tapes.
If its the likes of family videos get them copied AND store the originals.
I'm pleased with the quality of video taken on an analogue camcorder where I re-copied them from the camcorder onto a hard disk/DVD recorder. Also have connected a VHS recorder to that for other material. That way - if its illegal to copy it probably won't. And of course if you can connect via RGB (as with a SCART lead) the quality will be better.
Probably even better to do this to a computer because if the material is in digital form there are always likely to be ways of copying onto new formats. I wouldn't like to guarantee it, but I'd be reasonably sure the best quality (although probably pointless if the original is from a camcorder with composite video only) would be by copying a VHS tape via SCART to a DVD recorder, then using that DVD in a PC to rip the video. And it gives the opportunity to backup, backup, backup (as with any other important data, preferably with a copy held somewhere else).
Remember:
Tapes can get damaged by magnets, motors, etc.
Hard disks don't last for ever.
Optical media we are recommended to re-copy every 2 years and even a small scratch on the top surface can destroy the disk.
Memory sticks - I've seen a few of these after they have exploded!
And don't keep the backup with the original in case of fire, flood, theft...

I was assuniming it was vhs films.
Ive seen me in the past copying onto blank cd and about 3 years later when u have new computer u put the blank disk in and it cant read the data.

If its personal video yes put them on to disk as a tip when ever you renew your computer take out the dvd rom out of your computer before you scrap it and keep it its only 4 screw that holds it in and then 5 years down the line if the disc doesnt work in your new computer you can always buy a cable that goes from ide to usb so u can still use the the old dvd rom to read the disc.
Thats what i do you always find that if you buy a shop bought original dvd it works in any player but when you buy a blank dvd it doesnt work in everyplayer maybey 90%but not all even if it is dvd+ or- i think theres is other codes on the blank disc that are not compatabile with some roms .
Thats what winds me up with blank disc they should be unversally compatible but technolgy moves so fast.