PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a snack at 2am!

Dadie
19-Feb-10, 15:30
I am looking for ideas for an easy snack at 2am that I can make without waking up the rest of the household and can eat I handed while I feed my baby.

I have very recently been diagnosed as a diabetic so chocolate and sweeties are out!
(Used to munch away at the big bags of malteasers while feeding the girls when they were babies)

Crisps and toast just dont do it for me:lol:

Angela
19-Feb-10, 20:39
How about oatcakes dadie? With cheese or another topping?

Or Nairns do snack packs of wee oatbakes in cheese or sweet chili as well as unflavoured. Really easy to eat and though I'm no expert I think oats are quite low GI and would be good at keeping your blood sugar stable.

Must confess I could get through a whole gingerbread or pack of Jaffa cakes when I was feeding my babies :o, but obviously that's out for you.

cherokee
19-Feb-10, 20:43
How about pre-making something like a chicken/ham/salad wrap just before you go to bed.

Have it in a flour tortilla stuffed with the meat of your choice just ready to go and then a wee bowl of rabbity stuff, (salad:lol:!) prepared before you go to bed, just to pop in when you need it.

All wrapped up, it should be relatively easy to eat one handed.

If, like me, you enjoy cold food (which was once hot!) then how about (cold) chicken nuggets or fish fingers, either bought or home made. If you like either of those home made, then just make a big batch once week and keep them in the freezer making sure that they're shaped and of a consistency that can be held by one hand, which you could take out to defrost just before you go to bed.

Hope these ideas are of some help to you Dadie.
P/S I'm not talking from experience as I don't have bairns, but can imagine it's kinda difficult at that time of the morning, when you and the wee one both feel hungry !

Dadie
19-Feb-10, 20:58
Im not really that hungry, but, its something to do to keep me awake!

Twiggy
19-Feb-10, 23:13
:lol:cold sausages

alanatkie
20-Feb-10, 01:49
Maybe cucumber, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, carrot slices - takes some chewing so can keep u awake

Thumper
20-Feb-10, 16:13
I used to love philedelphia with some roasted peanuts sprinkled on top of a cracker,yummy and gives you a little of what you need x

Invisible
20-Feb-10, 20:07
canna beat toast

ShelleyCowie
20-Feb-10, 23:12
Beetroot! YUM! :D

Dadie
21-Feb-10, 20:56
So far my best success in snacks is banana sandwiches on brown bread!
Cold sausages were a bit addictive...

roadbowler
22-Feb-10, 20:13
i'd def be going for doing a bulk of something to keep me going for most the week or something i could whip up in a few secs on the spot! Thought about doing breadsticks? No the crunchy kind but the soft kind made out of pizza dough. With herbs, parmesan. Matched with a good marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping. Good cold. Or some type of bready biscuity scone type of affair. I used to make a lot of squash cornmeal biscuits that were great snacks. Or simple oatmeal raisin bickies? Even simpler, oatcakes with chutney and cheese or biscuits wi hummus. Make ahead tuna veg macaroni salad. This is also great cold and keeps in fridge a few days!