PDA

View Full Version : Hi, a little help please

Miss E
10-Feb-10, 00:02
Hi there to you all. I am just wondering if any of you can help me. I have a friend staying here from Dorset. He is a keen bird watcher and has been out looking at what birds are in this area. Today he has seen 8 Snow Bunting (first ever sighting), and a Black Guillemot. He would love to see a Black Throated Diver, which I believe are in the area.The tops, of course would be a Golden Eagle. If any of you can PM me on a general location for any chance to see any of these or any other special birds I would be very thankful.

Cheers Miss E

kas
10-Feb-10, 00:33
Hi there to you all. I am just wondering if any of you can help me. I have a friend staying here from Dorset. He is a keen bird watcher and has been out looking at what birds are in this area. Today he has seen 8 Snow Bunting (first ever sighting), and a Black Guillemot. He would love to see a Black Throated Diver, which I believe are in the area.The tops, of course would be a Golden Eagle. If any of you can PM me on a general location for any chance to see any of these or any other special birds I would be very thankful.

Cheers Miss E

Not sure if there will be any Black throated divers around just now, but I will ask around. Autumn and spring migration are normally the best times to see them, we get plenty Red throats and great northerns in winter but I have always found the black throats far more scarce up here.. Sinclairs Bay is one of the best places I have found.

For Golden Eagle then you will have to go West into Sutherland beyond Tongue and just try touring and looking to the skies, February can be a good time to see them. Hopefully Nirofo may suggest some roads to try. I have seen them in Caithness but it has always been young birds in summer and in remote locations.

Tell him to keep his eyes and ears open for Waxwings as they have been passing through Wick, Thurso and Orkney yesterday and today.

nirofo
10-Feb-10, 03:29

Cheers Miss E

PM Sent to you.

nirofo.

Miss E
10-Feb-10, 22:25
Thank you so much for the help. We are looking forward to a few days watching, We had to laugh, we went on to Dorset Bird Club website and a Black Throated Diver was seen in Portland yesterday right on his doorstep!! They must be hiding from him LOL. We will let you know how we get on.

Cheers Miss E

Miss E
12-Feb-10, 19:56
We have returned form our day out. We took your directions and saw 3 distant Golden Eagles, well made up, a first for me. We also saw Whooper Swan, Gooseander, Red Grouse, Ravens, Buzzards, Goldeneye, Fieldfare, Siskin and Greylag Geese. All in a stunning location. WOW. Thank you for your help we had a wonderful day.

Thanks a lot.