PDA

View Full Version : Error certificate?

Jenni
02-Feb-10, 23:24
My partner is signed up with talk talk for his internet and tonight when he went on to check his emails it came up with an error message saying that the website certificate may be out of date or invalid. I am with aol and it wouldn't let me check my emails on his computer but yet it was ok when I came home and checked on my laptop. He can access all other websites. The talk talk home page comes up but just won't allow him into his emails. Anyone know what could be causing this? He did phone talk talk helpline but they only suggested unplugging everything and trying again. (this didn't work btw).

dx100uk
03-Feb-10, 00:38
this is a common error with certain ISP's.
[just use a search engine and type in the error]

if the issue has not resolved itself, i would be inclined to reset his version of IE.
dependent upon the version, it is slightly different.
just use a search engine and type 'how to reset IE*?'
that will show him what to do.

it might well be worth while running something like Ccleaner too, to flush out he crap on the system.

dx

Jenni
03-Feb-10, 18:33
Thanks dx,
We tried accessing his emails from my laptop at lunchtime today and they were fine so obviously a problem with his pc. We will try your suggestions later and hopefully that will solve it.

Thanks
Jenni

Jenni
04-Feb-10, 18:42
I had a look at resetting internet explorer but don't really know enough about computers so chickened out. I am worried that by resetting it I may lose certain info etc so may have to call in professional help.

dx100uk
04-Feb-10, 21:07
I had a look at resetting internet explorer but don't really know enough about computers so chickened out. I am worried that by resetting it I may lose certain info etc so may have to call in professional help.

no you wont lose anything
it just resets IE to its defaults.
i suspect its a cookie issue.

have you run Ccleaner?
try that first.

dx

RecQuery
07-Feb-10, 15:29
I'd recommend running Windows update which will install them for you or download and install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=19c4ae49-1127-4537-9e91-35f81d20bce6

That should fix the problem.

dx100uk
07-Feb-10, 15:43
doh...

good idea

hi ya req

dx

Jenni
09-Feb-10, 23:48
Hi guys
Me again with my cerifitcate error problem - I have reset internet explorer and then restarted the computer. Microsoft windows 8 appears to have been downloaded in the process but yet when I try to access talktalk emails the same error message appears. I bit the bullet and chose to ignore the warning it gave out and this let me go straight to the emails. The error message/warning appears everytime we access the emails but as long as you choose to ignore it you can get into the emails. This is fine temporarily but obviously there is still something wrong. Of course the fact that I am very amateurish at this might suggest I have missed out a step somewhere. Any ideas?

dx100uk
10-Feb-10, 00:52
have you done as in post 6?

dx

charlie
10-Feb-10, 00:57
A long shot perhaps.....check your time/date settings on the PC in question. Ensure the date is TODAY (especially that the year is correct).
The wee back up battery on the mother board may have run out....so your PC won't know what time/date it is and may have reset to default date.

Jenni
11-Feb-10, 23:43
Thanks for all the advice. I have reset internet explorer again and this time it worked. Way hay, no more error message and instant access to emails.