PDA

View Full Version : computer making a noise

whitecloud
27-Jan-10, 16:39
hi my computer is making an terrible noise sounds like its going to explode lol, sounds like a fan of sorts, is there anyone in wick or near by that looks at computers as i really need to get it fixed.
kindest regards

butchergav
27-Jan-10, 19:28
Could be your tower fan on the side of the pc.

Recently replaced mine for about a fiver at Jektec scrabster. It will clip or screw off and follow the wire and unconnect it (see if this cancels out noise) and take it into them or wherever is closer.

M R
27-Jan-10, 22:50
It's more likely to be a fan at the front or rear (side fans arn't to common in standard pc's), possibly the fan in the power supply but if i were to have a stab in the dark, my guess would be the graphics card of processor fan has kerput.

dx100uk
28-Jan-10, 02:08
time to take it's clothes off then and get a can of compressed air from tescos and blow all the dust/fluff out all the fans, flues & the fins of the CPU heatsink too & the graphics card fan [if fitted] as advised.
once you've done that, a quick run around with the vac cleaner to make sure its all not sucked back up again should see it sorted.

dx

Niall Fernie
28-Jan-10, 11:40
If the dusting doesnt help and you've identified the fan making the noise you can find a wee hole in under the round label in the center of the fan, a couple of drops of machine oil in there should help. Don't use 3-in-1 as its too heavy. Any sewing shop shop should sell the kind of oil you are looking for.

whitecloud
04-Feb-10, 17:15
thank you all soo much ill give it a go.
kindest regards
whitecloud x