PDA

View Full Version : Pruning advice please

Anji
25-Jan-10, 17:44
This Flowering Dogwood is, I think, about ten years old, and I don't think it's ever been pruned.
According to the books, it should be pruned back hard in winter/early spring, to almost ground level.
It's on a very cold, windy corner, and I'm scared to cut it back that far in case I kill it.
Has anyone out there any advice please?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/Anji029/DSCN1917.jpg

Scunner
25-Jan-10, 23:01
try doing part of it, say one third each year and see what happens

Mother Bear
26-Jan-10, 07:57
Yes like wise I was a bit wary to cut back that far, but did it to about 6 inches. It survived, and they just grow back so quickly once they start. This hard pruning is supposed to keep the stems really red. But please don't blame me if it dies!....all plants are and their locations are different!!

Anji
26-Jan-10, 10:02
Thanks, both, for your replies.
MB, what time of year did you prune yours?

porshiepoo
26-Jan-10, 10:48
Thanks, both, for your replies.
MB, what time of year did you prune yours?

I have a Dogwood too and personally I'd leave it till early Spring because the ends of the plant will be the bits that get damaged or killed off during a hard frost and will help to protect the rest of the plant. I wait till I have little buds on it in Spring and cut back to where I want it.
They're pretty hardy and I don't think you will kill it.
Yours has quite alot of middle branching that could do with coming out and why not take some cuttings from the stuff you lop off?

Here's what I do - I cut pieces of about 6-8", the top cut should slanted and just above a node, the bottom cut should be just below a node.
Here's a cost effective and space saving way of planting the cuttings :- Get a bin liner (don't blow it open though) and unfold it. On one half of the bin liner (length ways) place some damp compost. Then place your cuttings along the length of the liner on top of the soil / compost and put a little more on top of the cuttings. Then fold the bottom length of liner over the cuttings so just the tops of the cuttings stick out and then roll the bin liners up and secure with an elastic band. You can then put it somewhere light and frost free and they should start to root.

I always manage to get them to root using this method but for some reason lose them all when I pot them on. I keep trying though!

Anji
26-Jan-10, 11:33
That's interesting, porshiepoo, because the 'experts' (in books) say the pruning must be done before the first buds appear, and yet yours is fine done after this. The 'experts' don't live in Caithness, though, and I was worried about frost/wind damage after pruning.

Thanks for all the advice re cuttings. I may try a few, but so far my attempts at any sort of cutting have been dismal. I plant sticks and a year later they are still just sticks! I've tried several methods, but still no luck.

porshiepoo
26-Jan-10, 13:02
That's interesting, porshiepoo, because the 'experts' (in books) say the pruning must be done before the first buds appear, and yet yours is fine done after this. The 'experts' don't live in Caithness, though, and I was worried about frost/wind damage after pruning.

Thanks for all the advice re cuttings. I may try a few, but so far my attempts at any sort of cutting have been dismal. I plant sticks and a year later they are still just sticks! I've tried several methods, but still no luck.

I've done it at both times of the year - Autumn and Spring - and I've had no problem getting either to root but like I say they die as soon as I pot them on so I'm doing something wrong.
The bin liner method is brilliant because they're insulated and you can just leave them and forget about them for a while without taking up any space.

I guess the experts prefer the Autumn cuttings because it is the correct time for taking this type of cutting in theory but I like to try other ways and see what happens.

Scunner
26-Jan-10, 17:14
maybe you are potting on too soon. I take cuttings of climbing roses, and if I pot on too soon, they die. Left until they have a good root system, seems to work better.

porshiepoo
27-Jan-10, 09:59
maybe you are potting on too soon. I take cuttings of climbing roses, and if I pot on too soon, they die. Left until they have a good root system, seems to work better.

Hmmm, you could be right there cos the more i think about it I do get excited as soon as a little root appears and am maybe too eager to get them into their own pots.
If this lot I have now actually root (left the coldframe window open and they froze a bit so they maybe won't) I think I'll leave them to get a really good root system going.

I'd love to know how to take Rose cuttings and when. I have a couple of lovely rose bushes that I'd be interested in having a go with plus one lovely white climber.