PDA

View Full Version : What makes you happy at work?

cuddlepop
23-Jan-10, 17:18
Is it alright to expect to be "happy" in your place of work or do you just go through the motions and pick up your pay?

So many people I know have been off work because of stress or dread that monday morning feeling, that I'm questioning what would make us happy at work.

For me I really enjoyed working in the community centre,varied work,good work colleagues and a resonable rate of pay.

Becoming self employed appears to bring the best job satisfaction but just too risky just now.

What do others think?:confused

Leanne
23-Jan-10, 17:23
I love what I do and like indulging in work. It's like a second hobby for me :)

Scunner
23-Jan-10, 17:33
being retired

ŠAmethyst
23-Jan-10, 17:35
Have been off work with an injury but am really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things! My work environment can get pretty hectic at times, some would say stressful, but everything is so incredibly interesting. Dealing (although indirectly) with things that can make a difference in someone elses life, even though 99.999999999......% of the time it's no one I've ever come across or known and will never meet is incredibly rewarding. Monday morning feeling? Only ever a good feeling for me. :)

I wish everyone knew what it was like to look forward to Mondays!

Invisible
23-Jan-10, 17:57
friendliness

joxville
23-Jan-10, 18:11
Even though I was passed over for promotion I like my job and I work with a (mostly) good crowd so can't complain too much. :)

Boozeburglar
23-Jan-10, 18:12
I can't remember. The home time bell?

:)

golach
23-Jan-10, 18:12
Just having a job, would make me happy:(

shazzap
23-Jan-10, 18:15
When i was at work before my illness. I used to work in a young peoples residential and a young peoples secure unit.
It was the team work and the feeling that you were part of something that mattered.

ShelleyCowie
23-Jan-10, 18:19
I dont exactly "work" but im a full time mother. Best job in the world. So dont care if its Monday or Saturday, im happy with my job everyday! :Razz

Boozeburglar
23-Jan-10, 18:30
Shelley, that is harder work than just about anything else!

cherokee
23-Jan-10, 18:31
I must agree with Iffy,
Well said, it sounds like you're talking through experience too !!!

Fluff
23-Jan-10, 18:33
Being busy and having fun while doing it! I also love helping people choose their glasses and help people learn how to put in contact lenses. I've just been given a promotion at work too, so it is kind of new again!

ShelleyCowie
23-Jan-10, 18:34
Shelley, that is harder work than just about anything else!

Naw not hard, very rewarding though.

I say its not hard because its not. Its just challenging. But i love every second of it. :Razz

joxville
23-Jan-10, 18:36
What makes you happy at work?

I mustn't forget the admin girl. ;)

Vistravi
23-Jan-10, 19:28
For me its the children at work. My boss isn't exactly the best boss but she isn't the worst either. Somedays are frustrating with my boss but the children make it worthwhile. Just them having a smile for me makes it worthwhile. I'm a float at work and as much as it would be good to be based in the one room i enjoy being everywhere and getting to know all the children. The staff are brilliant too and i have made quite a few good friends. After i have recovered from the birth i plan to take our wee one in to meet the children and also for my colllegues to meet him/her. I know a few of them will meet our wee one before then though.

As i am only really starting to show now i've told a few of the children and they're quite fascinated by it lol. Them knowing has stopped them being too rough in their play espcilly(sp) with the older children but having fast reflexes helps alot too!

lasher
23-Jan-10, 19:31
Sitting in heli-admin with my survival suit on and the chopper lands on the heli-deck to take me home!!

balto
23-Jan-10, 21:53
i really am happy at my work the people that are in my department are really nice , we all get on aswell which is a added bonus, cant see myself ever getting sick of it, also i have 4 kids aswell, so it is one long work day.

northener
23-Jan-10, 22:00
Being my own gaffer.

Making my own decisions - right or wrong - and then having sole responsibility for the outcome.

Not being part of some corporate toady regime...been there too many times now.

Working my backside off, for long hours, sometimes for basically nothing, but getting results in the end.

Dealing with decent people (most of the time) and working in a fantastically beautiful corner of the UK (all of the time).

Knowing that all I create is mine.

That's what makes me happy at work.

Don't get me started on the downsides, though.:roll:

cuddlepop
23-Jan-10, 22:32
Its so good to here that most of you are happy to be at your work come Monday morning.

Shelly being a mum is a full time job and a very worthwhile ocupation too.

I agree that the people you work with make all the differance,its the people you work for that can make you miserable.

Impossible targets and unrealistic expectations for me make me miserable.
Unfortunatly been their and dont want another tshirt.:~(

Think I'll need to go freelance.:confused

Bobinovich
24-Jan-10, 03:37
Being my own gaffer.

Making my own decisions - right or wrong - and then having sole responsibility for the outcome.

Not being part of some corporate toady regime...been there too many times now.

Working my backside off, for long hours, sometimes for basically nothing, but getting results in the end.

Dealing with decent people (most of the time) and working in a fantastically beautiful corner of the UK (all of the time).

Knowing that all I create is mine.

That's what makes me happy at work.

Don't get me started on the downsides, though.:roll:

Nail. Head. BANG!

Self employment is the dogs danglies :D. In 16 years I've never had that Monday morning feeling that I had for almost all of the 8-years at my previous job. I get to meet a variety of interesting people, be creative, and put smiles on peoples faces when the job's done. Money has become much less of an issue - so long as there's enough to pay the bills I'm happy!

ss.sv650
24-Jan-10, 03:50
goin home and payday neither can come soon enough:lol:

cuddlepop
24-Jan-10, 10:44
goin home and payday neither can come soon enough:lol:

Now most of the people I know have that sentiment too,you dont work for local authority do you?;)

Mik.M.
24-Jan-10, 10:54
I`ve not been at work since June last year due to me having 2 operations and the DVLA revoking my licences for 6 months. I`m looking forward to going back part time as recommended by the surgeon because it`s not easy getting by with no money.No doubt someone will piss me off pretty soon but I`m used to it.
I miss the craic with the regulars,but not the ignorant ones who don`t know how to say please or thank you.

mop top
24-Jan-10, 11:54
Off work at moment with a dodgy back awaiting op that cant come soon enough cos i cant wait to get back! Although still doing some work from home.
What makes me happiest is seeing dogs that were really down on their luck, sometimes thin, neglected, confused and depressed when i first picked them up as strays, out walking with their new owners looking happy and loved in their new homes. Makes it all worth it in fact (dont tell the council) but i would probably do it for nothing :lol:

cuddlepop
24-Jan-10, 16:59
Off work at moment with a dodgy back awaiting op that cant come soon enough cos i cant wait to get back! Although still doing some work from home.
What makes me happiest is seeing dogs that were really down on their luck, sometimes thin, neglected, confused and depressed when i first picked them up as strays, out walking with their new owners looking happy and loved in their new homes. Makes it all worth it in fact (dont tell the council) but i would probably do it for nothing :lol:

Quick revoke the last statement,HC will be looking for volunteers for some of the jobs soon.....:eek:

I'd love your job too Moptop but would end up crying my eyes out if an animal had to be pts.:~(

Dadie
24-Jan-10, 17:08
hmmm...
The hours are long (24/7)... pay non existant .(maternity pay wont last forever)...holidays (what are they?)
Sleepless nights doing night shift and being in zombie mode doing the following day shift...
Work non stop as a mum of 3 little ones is hard work.... but seeing the girls sleeping like angels after a busy day makes your heart melt (even when you are up at least half the night with their 3 week old brother)

cuddlepop
24-Jan-10, 18:42
hmmm...
The hours are long (24/7)... pay non existant .(maternity pay wont last forever)...holidays (what are they?)
Sleepless nights doing night shift and being in zombie mode doing the following day shift...
Work non stop as a mum of 3 little ones is hard work.... but seeing the girls sleeping like angels after a busy day makes your heart melt (even when you are up at least half the night with their 3 week old brother)

Thats not work thats Sainthood :lol: