PDA

View Full Version : Another train derailment

Thumper
22-Jan-10, 19:53
Outside Dingwall this time,apparently only one person hurt luckily-but why do these keep happening? x

oh and before I get accused of it I am not trying to start anything I just wondered in this day and age why derailments happen?

captain chaos
22-Jan-10, 20:45
I didnt think that train derailments were that regular an occasion.
One freight train on the inverness to perth line due to brake problems is the only one I can think off recently.

Were there more?

Thumper
22-Jan-10, 20:48
No but in all my time I havent heard of any "up North" so 2 in a month or so seems weird IMO,that why I was wondering if its anything to do with weather ect or just a coincedence?

northener
22-Jan-10, 21:03
No but in all my time I havent heard of any "up North" so 2 in a month or so seems weird IMO,that why I was wondering if its anything to do with weather ect or just a coincedence?

I believe that there may have been a problem with some points not switching over, that's all I know.

joxville
22-Jan-10, 21:04
Outside Dingwall this time,apparently only one person hurt luckily-but why do these keep happening? x

oh and before I get accused of it I am not trying to start anything I just wondered in this day and age why derailments happen?

Negligence, either by the driver or Network Rail. :(

Tighsonas4
22-Jan-10, 21:08
Negligence, either by the driver or Network Rail. :(
thats a pretty quick judjment before its even been ascertained [lol] tony

joxville
22-Jan-10, 21:13
thats a pretty quick judjment before its even been ascertained [lol] tony

Almost all accidents are avoidable so it's either negligence by Network Rail failing to maintain equipment properly or the driver failing to drive with 'due care and attention'.

Tighsonas4
22-Jan-10, 22:57
Almost all accidents are avoidable so it's either negligence by Network Rail failing to maintain equipment properly or the driver failing to drive with 'due care and attention'.
is that an obeservation or talking as an engine driver or p way inspectortony tony

joxville
22-Jan-10, 23:03
Purely an observation. How many 'accidents' really are that? Most have human error or fault as the root cause, and sadly, people die because of it, though thankfully in the case of the person in the O.P., they were just hurt.

ShelleyCowie
22-Jan-10, 23:04
Ahh no, travelling freaks me out enuf as it is! Im going to Ness next month on the train but i think i will take the bus instead now! :eek:

I only panic if Athrun is travelling with me but just now i freak about it anytime! Nothing is safe [para]

Phill
22-Jan-10, 23:11
Nothing is safe

Aye, yer right.

Trains comin' off the rails, buzzes turnin' over, planes fallin' out the sky.
Put yer tin hat on and stay indoors.

Phill
22-Jan-10, 23:16
How many 'accidents' really are that? Most have human error or fault as the root cause.

Jox' has hit the nail on the head.

bekisman
23-Jan-10, 01:02
Little bit of info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8476146.stm

Kevin Milkins
23-Jan-10, 01:14
I blame global warming.

Sarah
23-Jan-10, 01:26
That line between Inverness and Wick seems to have had a lot of troubles in the past few years. It's a terrible shame as it is a lovely journey, I do it about once a month. I'm glad no one was seriously injured in tonights accident, it could have been a lot worse.

crayola
23-Jan-10, 01:29
I heard the driver was shocked by a dead fox strung up on a fence. It was the wrong type of fox and he turned the steering wheel too far and went off the rails.

ŠAmethyst
23-Jan-10, 01:56
So glad I travelled north yesterday now... my sister was on a bus (last train north couldn't run, obviously) and I understand it was in a ditch near Lairg. Lots of travel issues going on. If I hadn't already got my train ticket to go back south next week I'd be taking the X99 bus!

Second thoughts, I've heard plenty S****coach horror stories to put me off busses!

Glad there were no injuries and hope that the women taken to hospital as a precaution is okay and that precautions is all it is!

Aaldtimer
23-Jan-10, 04:04
So glad I travelled north yesterday now... my sister was on a bus (last train north couldn't run, obviously) and I understand it was in a ditch near Lairg. Lots of travel issues going on. If I hadn't already got my train ticket to go back south next week I'd be taking the X99 bus!

Second thoughts, I've heard plenty S****coach horror stories to put me off busses!

Glad there were no injuries and hope that the women taken to hospital as a precaution is okay and that precautions is all it is!

..." in a ditch near Lairg"...what was?:confused

theone
23-Jan-10, 04:37

I suppose it's how you define an accident.

I reversed into a wall once. It was certainly human error/negligence on my behalf, but I still call it an accident.

If network rail have maintained the equipment to the required specification but it has failed regardless then they cannot be held responsible.

I think, legally, there has to be some level of intent for any blame to made.

Thumper
23-Jan-10, 11:08
Thanks guys for all your answers,I just wondered if it was something to do with weather,or rails needing to be serviced more or what,after all train travel seemed to be so safe butrecently it makes you wonder whats going on-at least there was no fatalities though so thats something i suppose x

ŠAmethyst
23-Jan-10, 14:13
..." in a ditch near Lairg"...what was?:confused

According to my sister - the bus was. Although, she is good at exaggerating.

Tighsonas4
23-Jan-10, 14:53
Thanks guys for all your answers,I just wondered if it was something to do with weather,or rails needing to be serviced more or what,after all train travel seemed to be so safe butrecently it makes you wonder whats going on-at least there was no fatalities though so thats something i suppose x
yes thats quite true thumper as the last fatalities was our relatives regards tony

cuddlepop
23-Jan-10, 17:21
This is purely speculation on my part but I feel its got alot to do with a lack of manual maintenance.

The human eye can see a dam site more than a computer,but when was the last time you saw a "guy" walking the track to inspect for faults?:(

Tighsonas4
23-Jan-10, 21:00
According to my sister - the bus was. Although, she is good at exaggerating.
where was the bus going that it was away up in lairg [WEST] cheers tony

gleeber
23-Jan-10, 21:15
where was the bus going that it was away up in lairg [WEST] cheers tony
The bus would have been taking the route of the train to drop off and pick up passengers waiting for the train.
I got caught out myself waiting for the train at 9pm in Kinbrace. When it never appeared I phoned (they have a phone for this purpose at the station) and they said the bus wouldnt be coming round by Kinbrace but they sent a taxi from Thurso to pick me up. I was only an hour late.
Well done to the railway.