PDA

View Full Version : Donald Grant

scotsmabel
20-Jan-10, 10:38
Can anyone help, i have been trying to trace my family tree.
I would appreciate any information regarding my great grandfather Donald Grant.
The only information i have on him is he was employed as a carter at Castlehill flagstone works in Olrig Caithness.
He was also father to twin boys in 1884 with Mary Ann Polson, Olrig Caithness, he and Mary Ann never married.

Scotsmabel.

Tricia
20-Jan-10, 19:46
Mary in 1891 1901: Note the older son David Ross born in Dunnet.
Name: Mary Ann Polson
Estimated birth year: abt 1855
Relationship: Head
Where born: Olrig, Caithness
Registration Number: 41
Registration district: Thurso
Civil parish: Thurso
County: Caithness
Address: Ormlie
ED: 10
Household schedule number: 71
Line: 7
Roll: CSSCT1901_11
Household Members: Name Age
Mary Ann Polson 46
David Ross 21 son born in Dunnet
Donald Grant 16 son born in Olrig

Name: Maryann Polson
Estimated birth year: abt 1855
Where born: Olrig, Caithress
Registration Number: 39
Registration district: Olrig
Civil parish: Olrig
Address: Millhill
ED: 1
Household schedule number: 47
Line: 14
Roll: CSSCT1891_9
Maryann Polson 36
David Ross 11
James Grant 6
Donald Grant 6

scotsmabel
22-Jan-10, 10:47
Hi Tricia
Thank you for sending me details of Mary Ann Polson but i already have most of that details.

Its Donald Grant my Great Grandfather i need information about, he worked in the Flagstone quarry in Olrig in the 1880's and i think he then moved on to Thurso.
Thanks once again for your kindness.
Scotsmabel

Tricia
22-Jan-10, 15:32
Search for a Donald Grant in Olrig as a Quarryman c 1880: One found.

1881 Donald Grant born Latheron c 1846. Margaret b Reay
In Olrig census as a quarryman. (Not got a note of the Children 1881 yet)

Same person in
1871 shows him in Flag Quarryman in Olrig at John Swanson's Cottage
and married to Margaret with son Donald:
Donald Grant 25 born Latheron
Margaret Grant 22 born Reay
Donald Grant 1 Mo born Olrig

1891 in Olrig Parish Castletown Village with 4 children. Annie 12 Margaret 9 Catherine 6 Mary 2 ( more detail if you want)

1901: copy of orig if you want.
Name: Donald Grant
Estimated birth year: abt 1844
Spouse's name : Margaret
Where born: Latheron, Caithness
Registration Number: 39
Registration district: Olrig
Civil parish: Olrig
Address: Castletown
ED: 6
Household schedule number: 125
Line: 12
Roll: CSSCT1901_10
Donald Grant 57
Margaret Grant 52
Maggie Grant 19
Katie Grant 16
Mary Grant 12
Donald Grant 5 a Grandson born Olrig.

NOW death 1957 of Donald Grant born c 1884 son of MARY ANN POLSON and a DONALD GRANT shows the father Donald as a Carter .
Donald Grant b 1884 married a Jane MacDonald.
Stephen DURRAND son in law is informant on Donald's death 1957.
Stephen married Isabella Grant daug of Donald Grant and Jane MacDonald.

Can we be sure that the twins Donald and James are children of Donald Grant who was in Olrig???

scotsmabel
23-Jan-10, 12:00
Hi Tricia,
I visited the Scotlands People records office recently and found the Donald Grant you refer to but i have no way of knowing if he is the one?

Donald and James grant (twins) were born in 1884, in 1885 Mary Ann Polson took him to court and that was when the twins got the name Grant.
The papers i saw at Scotlands People did not have an address for Donald nor did they record his age, nothing to give me a clue as to who he was, only that he had moved from Olrig to Thurso by the time he was up in court.

I stumbled across this at the records office and it has me puzzled,Donald Grant (twin) had a son Donald who died as a result of an accident on the railway, and here is what puzzles me, on his death certificate it said he died in Bignold hospital LYBSTER, i thought Bignold was the Wick hospital, did Lybster have one also?

If anyone out there reading this knows anything about Donald Grant, even a snippet i would be so grateful if they got in touch.

Thanks again Tricia.
Scotsmabel.

trinkie
23-Jan-10, 12:15
I think the Bignold hospital was moved to Lybster during the 2ndWW, because the Wick Bignold was used as accommodation for the Servicemen.

There was recently a thread here, regarding the Bignold.

Trinkie

Tricia
23-Jan-10, 14:06
Hi Tricia,
Donald and James grant (twins) were born in 1884, in 1885 Mary Ann Polson took him to court and that was when the twins got the name Grant.
The papers i saw at Scotlands People did not have an address for Donald nor did they record his age, nothing to give me a clue as to who he was, only that he had moved from Olrig to Thurso by the time he was up in court.Scotsmabel.

Did the records give any clue as to where in Thurso he was at time of court case in 1885?
The Donald who was married and in Olrig 1881 was in Castletown Village by 1891. So could well be him.
Didn't find any other in Olrig around 1884 when Mary Polson was there and twins were born.

Interesting site for Castletown. http://www.castletownheritage.co.uk/

scotsmabel
24-Jan-10, 12:09
Hi
Hi Trinkie
Thanks for solving that riddle for me about Bignold.
I left Caithness about 40 years ago but do manage a visit up there now and then.
Iwonder why i never heard about Bignold when i was wee, if i did then my memory does not serve me well, I do remember lots of talk about the war.

scotsmabel
24-Jan-10, 12:23
Hi
I have looked again at the Court report re - Donald Grant, (twins) all it says about him is - lately of Castlehill pavement works, and now residing in Thurso.
Thanks for sending the Castletown heritage website, i found it very interesting, i wonder if they keep records of workers there, will pop in and see the next time i am up in Caithness.
Scotsmabel

Tackity Boo
25-Jan-10, 15:42
Hi,

Have sent you a PM

scotsmabel
01-Feb-10, 17:39
Hi Tackity Boo.
Did you receive my PM?
regards
Scotsmabel

Tackity Boo