PDA

View Full Version : Help!

porshiepoo
18-Jan-10, 23:07
I have a Laptop running on XP, usually works fine but I've just started it up and I'm getting an error of some kind. The thing seems to load fine, I have icons on my screen etc but I get the message "a file needed to run this application cannot be found". Doesn't tell me what application it's talking of though but I can't get access to the internet. When I try I just get the message that Mozilla / IE has crashed and closed.

Any ideas?

I've done a Chk/dsk, no problems showed.

M R
19-Jan-10, 17:45
I would think there must be more information available, there should be a (more info tab), and it will do just that.

Have you installed new progs ?

MS updates ?

More info is needed to help on this one i think.

porshiepoo
19-Jan-10, 19:10
There's no further info available.
I start it up, it all goes fine and the xp screen loads up fine. I have all my desktop icons etc. Then a message appears but there's no option to see what file it is talking of - nothing.

Everything seems fine on the puter except that I cannot get internet access.
Could it be a missing file when it's automatically setting the wireless internet access each time I start up?

I haven't installed any new programmes and I haven't uploaded any updates as I can't connect to the internet to do so.

Any ideas?

S&LHEN
19-Jan-10, 20:19
give peter brown a phone he ll know straight away 621623

Connor.
19-Jan-10, 23:30
Have you tried a system restore?

Restore it to a couple of days before the problem started.

dx100uk
20-Jan-10, 00:36
i'd plumb for it being half a trojan install, your anti-virus has blocked the installation of some of it, but not all.

can you connect the laptop to the back of your internet box via an ethernet cable and see if that works?

my thoughts lie with running a virus/trojan sweep on the laptop.

download, this:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx

to a penstick and install it on the laptop
then do a full scan.

if that does not cure it, comeback on here and i'll show you where to look to find out the info on 'what' cannot be found

dx

porshiepoo
20-Jan-10, 11:29
i'd plumb for it being half a trojan install, your anti-virus has blocked the installation of some of it, but not all.

can you connect the laptop to the back of your internet box via an ethernet cable and see if that works?

my thoughts lie with running a virus/trojan sweep on the laptop.

download, this:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx

to a penstick and install it on the laptop
then do a full scan.

if that does not cure it, comeback on here and i'll show you where to look to find out the info on 'what' cannot be found

dx

How do I know if the Laptop XP is sp2 or higher?

Is there any way other than via a penstick as I don't have one? I'll get one if there isn't.

porshiepoo
20-Jan-10, 11:30
Have you tried a system restore?

Restore it to a couple of days before the problem started.

Yep, I did that, no luck.

ChuckBuscuits
20-Jan-10, 18:08
[quote=porshiepoo;647618]How do I know if the Laptop XP is sp2 or higher?

right click on the my computer icon on desktop,select properties,it will tell you there what s.pack you've got.
does sound like a virus though.:~(

dx100uk
20-Jan-10, 20:06
it puzzles me you have done a system restore and you still have the issue...
did you restore to a point [in time] BEFORE your PC started doing this?

dx

porshiepoo
20-Jan-10, 23:24
it puzzles me you have done a system restore and you still have the issue...
did you restore to a point [in time] BEFORE your PC started doing this?

dx

I did the restore but when it started back up it said it couldn't restore back to that time and that no changes had been made to the computer.

dx100uk
21-Jan-10, 00:32
ok well somehow, you need to run that MSE prog i linked to on it, pensticks are cheap.

once we know its clean then it should be a simple job to discover what is not flying properly by looking in the event logs

dx