PDA

View Full Version : Education Sevices.

cuddlepop
18-Jan-10, 14:18
This was published today on HC website,now does this mean Mr Hugh Fraser is no longer head of ECS or have HC created yet another post?:confused

Highland Council appoints new Head of Education (18/01/10)

John Considine, former Rector of Inverness Royal Academy has been appointed as Acting Head of Education Services with The Highland Council’s Education, Culture and Sport Service.
Mr Considine, who starts his new employment today (18 January), will be based at the Council’s headquarters on Glenurquhart Road, Inverness.
John Considine has been in senior management in schools for 26 years and Rector at Inverness Royal Academy since 1993. Before that he taught in Inverness High School, Millburn Academy, and was Principal Teacher of Geography at Charleston Academy from 1978.
He joined the senior management team in Charleston Academy in 1983, and then moved south to Fife for a period as Depute Head at Woodmill High, Dunfermline in 1988. He then came back north in 1993.
Mr Considine is currently on the national Outdoor Learning Strategic Advisory Group; is a Director of Eden Court; and was chairman of Hi- Arts from 2001-05.
-ends-

cuddlepop
18-Jan-10, 14:46
Silly me,Hugh Fraser is the Director Of Education......somehow I forgot management posts in HC were so top heavy.:roll:

joxville
18-Jan-10, 19:06
Sorry cuddlepop, I couldn't help laugh at your omission of an 'r' in the 'services' thread title. :)

cuddlepop
19-Jan-10, 10:31
Sorry cuddlepop, I couldn't help laugh at your omission of an 'r' in the 'services' thread title. :)

see what I mean It had to be mine.:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
19-Jan-10, 10:51
I see they are also having a review of the Highland school estate. :eek:

I could save them a lot of money by just giving the recommendations now. Close a few schools, amalgamate a few schools and sell off a few buildings.

All I need is a map and a pin and a blindfold and hey I could give you the names of the schools. I wonder if Wick will still have four primary schools in a few years and if the rural schools will still all be there. Thats progress!

Bill Fernie
19-Jan-10, 15:14
This was published today on HC website,now does this mean Mr Hugh Fraser is no longer head of ECS or have HC created yet another post?:confused

Highland Council appoints new Head of Education (18/01/10)

John Considine, former Rector of Inverness Royal Academy has been appointed as Acting Head of Education Services with The Highland Council’s Education, Culture and Sport Service.
Mr Considine, who starts his new employment today (18 January), will be based at the Council’s headquarters on Glenurquhart Road, Inverness.
John Considine has been in senior management in schools for 26 years and Rector at Inverness Royal Academy since 1993. Before that he taught in Inverness High School, Millburn Academy, and was Principal Teacher of Geography at Charleston Academy from 1978.
He joined the senior management team in Charleston Academy in 1983, and then moved south to Fife for a period as Depute Head at Woodmill High, Dunfermline in 1988. He then came back north in 1993.
Mr Considine is currently on the national Outdoor Learning Strategic Advisory Group; is a Director of Eden Court; and was chairman of Hi- Arts from 2001-05.
-ends-

Just to confirm that this is not a new post. The postholder retired on Friday and Mr Considine is his replacement.
iFor the record the Education, Culture and Sport department of the council have reduced the number of management positions over the past few years. There have also been ongoing reviews of administration and clerical staffing resulting in reductions in staff numbers. At the ECS meeting on 12 November 2009 the committee agreed to a number of changes including the removal of 19.5 posts - see http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/3929E6C8-8226-4082-8888-944505B96380/0/Item7ECS5109.pdf The committee agreed to a number of other changes aimed at improving the efficiency of the department and these are included in the same paper.

Over all the council has a Business Improvement team who are working on improving the way the council works in a number of areas. In addition a number of Micro reviews are underway looking in great detail at what money is spent on to find ways of improving and ultimately reducing costs. The lessons learnt will be spread across the council. the results are and will be published throughout the various committee agendas and minutes published on the council web site.

If anyone is interested in the finances of the council a report to council members by the independent Controller of Audit may be of interest http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/C85FC1E8-96E0-4EA9-A5EA-FB9D18E3243F/0/Item10ReportfromExternalAuditor.pdf Although a technical report on the finances of the council, it gives a good picture of the scale of what the council deals with.