PDA

View Full Version : Sellotape!

floyed
13-Jan-10, 10:25
Hi does anyone know how to get sellotape off of windows please. Its been on for a while and its the sticky residue thats left after you take the actual sellotape of:D

Turquoise
13-Jan-10, 10:33
Hi Floyed, I usually use a wee drop of oil on a non scratch scourer and that takes sticky stuff off windows and takes labels off a treat too. If your window is greasy after, take a cloth with some washing up liquid on it and give it a wipe - hope it works for you!

ShelleyCowie
13-Jan-10, 10:34
i used a mixture of vinegar and water. Took a bit o effort but it came off in the end :Razz

Someone else might have a better solution that will take less mucking around tho!

sam
13-Jan-10, 10:35
I find nail varnish remover works good.

pat
13-Jan-10, 10:44
WD40 removes most sticky things - bit smelly but fantastic.

S&LHEN
13-Jan-10, 10:47
A heat gun will remove it and without scratches :)

floyed
13-Jan-10, 10:54
My window is now sellotape free. I used the nail varnish remover, it worked great and came of with little effort. I dont have any oil in, but tried the vinegar to see if it worked, and it did!, but nail varnish remover was the best.

Thank you for all your quick replys:D

floyed
13-Jan-10, 10:57
A heat gun will remove it and without scratches :)

I dont have a heat gun, but think my OH would be scared if he seen me coming at the window with one lol:lol: Or even holding one:D

_Ju_
13-Jan-10, 11:03
Mayonaise or peanut butter also work well. Especially for old stickers.:D

Lavenderblue2
13-Jan-10, 12:32
Meths and a single edged blade, no greasy residue - sorted. :)

Creme_Egg
13-Jan-10, 12:47
Meths and a single edged blade, no greasy residue - sorted. :)

I think she was on about a sticky residue, not drug use [lol]

Lavenderblue2
13-Jan-10, 17:01
I think she was on about a sticky residue, not drug use [lol]

SHE actually meant 'greasy' residue, the sort you would get if you used WD40 or as somebody suggested peanut butter. Drug use...? :confused

annemarie482
13-Jan-10, 17:06
homebase used to sell a "sticky stuff remover" spray. it was brilliant on all that kind of stuff. smelt of oranges! :lol:

joxville
13-Jan-10, 17:11
Mayonaise or peanut butter also work well. Especially for old stickers.:D

How do people discover these things? Who sits at home and thinks 'I'll try rubbing foodstuffs on my windows'? :eek: :)

Bazeye
13-Jan-10, 17:30
How do people discover these things? Who sits at home and thinks 'I'll try rubbing foodstuffs on my windows'? :eek: :)

Theyre probably the descendants of the first person who decided to milk a cow and drink it or open an oyster and eat it.

joxville
13-Jan-10, 17:50
Theyre probably the descendants of the first person who decided to milk a cow and drink it or open an oyster and eat it.

Yeah, the same ones who thought 'I think I'll stick my hand in that fire'. [lol]

_Ju_
13-Jan-10, 22:18

I saw my mother using mayo to take stickers of my childhood desk. I presume she must have learnt it from her mother, so on so forth (Fourth?). Doesn't damage furniture like nail polish remover can.

Stavro
14-Jan-10, 01:27
Hi does anyone know how to get sellotape off of windows please. Its been on for a while and its the sticky residue thats left after you take the actual sellotape of:D

White spirit. :roll:

sweetpea
14-Jan-10, 01:32
Or a wee drop petrol:roll:

bcsman
14-Jan-10, 06:26
give the window a small sharp tap with a hammer which will cause the glass to shatter,give your nice insurance people a phone call to say you need a nice new glazing unit for your window,your friendly local double glazing installers will soon arrive to fit your nice new glass with a friendly smile.
hey presto,you have got rid of that horrible sellotape residue.easy :-)

floyed
14-Jan-10, 09:11
give the window a small sharp tap with a hammer which will cause the glass to shatter,give your nice insurance people a phone call to say you need a nice new glazing unit for your window,your friendly local double glazing installers will soon arrive to fit your nice new glass with a friendly smile.
hey presto,you have got rid of that horrible sellotape residue.easy :-)

I would of had a lot of broken windows, the sellotape was on 3 of my windows lol:D But good idea will keep note in future.

Ricco
15-Jan-10, 21:58
I use one of those razor blade thingeys for getting paint off the glass when you have been over-enthusiastic when painting the window frames. Then use a rag wetted with white spirit, dampen the remaining residue, have a cuppa and go back to rub off the mess.

joxville
15-Jan-10, 23:57
Paint the glass white so that it looks like it's still snowing. :)

rockchick
16-Jan-10, 00:18
I shudder to think of the consequences of using a heat gun on non-pyrex window glass!!! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

joxville
16-Jan-10, 00:32
I shudder to think of the consequences of using a heat gun on non-pyrex window glass!!! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

It's quite safe, I've been doing it for years. Do it Karate Kid style, heat on heat off, heat on heat off, and use a scraper/Stanley blade to remove paint/sticky stuff/Garfield. :)