PDA

View Full Version : anybody looking through seed catalogues yet??

roadbowler
11-Jan-10, 18:21
already looking through my seed catalogues and just about ready to order some veg seed. What veg do you grow that does well in caithness? Already ordered and received my herb and wildflower seed! Just waiting for spring now! Lol what seed catalogues do you buy from? I use Real Seeds, Suffolk Herbs, Agroforestry Research Trust, Nicky's Nursery online and Moles.:cool:

steeko
11-Jan-10, 19:27
Got mine ordered a few months ago so all here now. I use Wallis Seeds myself and JBA for my seed potatoes.

Pony
15-Jan-10, 20:05
Im planning my seeds now too. By February every available window-sill will be full of seedlings getting a head start - they will then move out to greenhouse in Mar/April. There is one seed I really want and cant find anywhere though. Comfrey - would really like to try growing it this year but cant find it for sale...any ideas??

roadbowler
15-Jan-10, 20:15
if you want to grow comfrey that doesna take over your garden get russian comfrey cuttings. Russian doesna self seed and grows great fro cuttings. You can buy them from suffolk herbs.

Ricco
15-Jan-10, 22:04
Already got mine - I use Kings. Their prices are lower than everyone else and the quality is excellent. I collect orders from a number of others on our allotment site and if the total SEED order is over £175 we get 50% discount. Potatoes, fruit bushes and sundries do not get discount.

roadbowler
16-Jan-10, 15:53
wow, that's a great deal getting 50% off on a large order like that! I've been staying away from hybrid seed and been trying to save seed from some of my veg to plant the next year as seeds seem to be getting more and more expensive. I can't be bothered waiting around for some seeds like carrot, lettuce, parsnip and such like as it's so faffy and in some cases takes ages for it to go to seed. I tend to let a few of these self seed then transplant. Anybody manage to grow bush beans up here? Never managed them yet.

Pony
16-Jan-10, 19:38
if you want to grow comfrey that doesna take over your garden get russian comfrey cuttings. Russian doesna self seed and grows great fro cuttings. You can buy them from suffolk herbs.

Thanks for the tip - just placed a massive order with Suffolk herbs. Had never heard of them but they stock all these weird and wonderful herbs that I cant normally get. One thing Ive ordered is liquorice...anyone tried growing that up here?

roadbowler
16-Jan-10, 21:56
yea, they are brilliant if you are wanting herb seed. Nickys nursery also has just about every herb you can imagine! Not grown licorice here but have grown it before infact have seed to try it this year. Let me know how you get on with yours. Are you growing comfrey for fertiliser?

Pony
18-Jan-10, 21:01
Going by internet advice I need to plant liquorice in a very deep pot and take inside during the winter - sounds simple so fingers crossed. Will plant some seeds as soon as they arrive and keep you informed.

The comfrey is really planned for feeding to my horse as a treat / feed supplement - meant to be very good for them.

roadbowler
18-Jan-10, 22:35
Going by internet advice I need to plant liquorice in a very deep pot and take inside during the winter - sounds simple so fingers crossed. Will plant some seeds as soon as they arrive and keep you informed.

The comfrey is really planned for feeding to my horse as a treat / feed supplement - meant to be very good for them.
aye, i think it is really good for them. We got a welsh pony here that's daft for it. Good luck with the licorice.

steeko
25-Jan-10, 00:01
Plants With Purpose might be worth a look, although they sell plants rather than the seeds. The plants they sell are useful either medicinally, culinary, or for attracting wildlife to the garden.