PDA

View Full Version : MS DOS help

William
09-Jan-10, 00:04
I'm trying to get a game working on MS DOS on a windows 98 pc an every thing installs ok but when i go to play it, it comes up saying illegal opperation or some thing, what could be the problem?

Any help would be great

Thank you

Bobinovich
09-Jan-10, 00:07
MS what? Windows 98? What the heck are they? :lol:

Unfortunately (or should that be thankfully!) it's been so long since I used either that I can't remember any of that stuff. I do remember it being a a bit hit-and-miss at the time, so would be a real mind-mess these days!

Hope someone can come to your assistance.

William
09-Jan-10, 00:13
yeah i know i got my self an old computer to play a game i used to like an it won't work lol just my luck

M R
09-Jan-10, 01:36
Tell me the game and i may be able to help you

I would suggest you create a folder on C:\ - call it what you like, install the game in that folder

Boot straight to dos, pressing one of the F keys will give you an option for dos promt, command promt, c:\ promt whatever. (iirc)

From there you need to know the full path of the .exe file of the game. ie c:\doom\doom.exe

If you need more explanation let me know.

Kevin Milkins
09-Jan-10, 01:43
yeah i know i got my self an old computer to play a game i used to like an it won't work lol just my luck

I was having a play around with my old PC that runs windows 98 and I have been trying to get a USB pen to work for about 3 years so I could download hundreds of photos and files and then upload them onto my new laptop.

In the past I have had no luck and then I came across and old pen with a small disc that had the appropriate driver on it and, eureka.:Razz:Razz

I know this story will be of no help with your particular problem, but I can assure you it will feel great when your mind clears and you work out how to solve it.

Good luck William.

William
10-Jan-10, 14:59
Got it sorted now, thanks for your replys it didn't go quite as i expected so i typed the game in to google an turns out they've made it to work on xp an vista along with loads of other games might be worth a look if anyone has an old game they liked

www.classicgamingpresents.com (http://www.classicgamingpresents.com)

RecQuery
11-Jan-10, 15:50
I'd recommend DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/) for playing old games on new hardware damned site easier, theres a few flashy GUI frontends if you're that way inclined.