PDA

View Full Version : why wont some people think.

balto
06-Jan-10, 16:45
Last week a lovely dog turned up at our house, she was lovely a young dog, anyway we didnt regonise her atall, so i phoned balmore to see if anyone reported a dog missing, but it turned out they were still on holidays, phoned the police then to see if they had any reports, to find out they didnt, but they would get the dog warden to phone me to arrange someone to come an collect her, i went round houses nearby to see if anyone regonised her, but no-one we asked knew, unto someone pointed us it the right direction. while we were away the dog warden phoned and spoke to my oh, and told him to phone back if we found out who the dog belonged to. After we went to the dogs owners house, we found out that they werent in, so werent bothered about the dog atall, turns out this dog normally has a lovely collor on, but this was obviously taken of so that nno-one would regonise her without it, and i must say that worked because we didnt know who she belonged to before that, anyway got home to find my oh making such a fuss of her lol, we phoned the warden back to tell her what we had found out, an she said that they had been trying to get this dog for a long time but didnt have the grounds to do so unto now, so she decide to take the chance and take this dog away from its life of misery and she would send someone up to get her and foster her for 7 days to see if the owners woul look for her, and im pleased to say they didnt, and this dog now has a lovely home out with the county, we were told to wait 7 days so that the ex owner wouldnt feel obliged to come forwar, but now the 7 days have passed, i know the dog will be happy in her knew home, if we didnt have a dog ourselves we would have kept her as she was lovely and so good with my kids.

Why dont people think when they take a pet on, the looking after they need, the time and care, oh it makes me so mad when people do this, oh look my pet is not cute an cuddly now, lets just neglect it, ooohh it makes me mad. [evil]

igglepiggle
06-Jan-10, 16:54
That is very sad but a very good outcome, we have a few dogs that are let loose in our area off springpark, they are left to wander and do there deeds and wander off again, this really annoy's me as they are in about the gardens that have kids, the footpath to school is dreadful. I have been told that they have been taken away by the dog warden a few times but it doesnt bother the owners. My son walks home this way and has been chased once, he is now very wary, and i have told him not to run. If you cant care for a pet when it is outgrown the cute stage then you shouldnt be allowed to have any. Ive seen dogs stuck in that horrible cages, for a car fair enough for travelling but not for a house or bed for the animal. i think it is so cruel! We would love a dog, my son is always on at me about one, but havent got one, i dont think i could offer a pet a good home at the moment, we could offer it love and care and a happy home but not an energetic one with loads off walks etc, with out working and the young kids social life it wouldnt be fair on the dog. When they are older it may be a different story, but it should always come down to what is the best for the animal.

Liz
06-Jan-10, 19:12
Oh this makes me sooooooo mad![evil]

People get dogs(and other pets) on a whim and then when they find there is actually some effort and expense involved in looking after them they tire of them and it is left to good people like yourself Balto.

Igglepiggle it is so good that you realise your circumstances are not right at the moment to get a dog and only wish more people would do this.
By the way indoor cages can be great if used properly. Benjy loves his and actually runs into it for his 'naps' and at bedtime.:lol:

Leanne
06-Jan-10, 20:06
Glad it's a good outcome!! There are too many that are in poor homes. It's just hard finding suitable homes for dogs that sometimes end up with issues.

I'm off to that place that sounds like Saltzenpfeffer (out of the rhyme) to do a home check for the lurcher rescue. Once the roads have cleared that is...

christina
06-Jan-10, 21:18
Balto good on you or giving the dog a nice loving home :). Some people should not have dogs a dogs for live not for just Christmas.

When my husband and my son wanted a puppy I really hesitated as they are a lot of hard work, with all the toilet training and basic training. But 2 years on I cannot imagine having no dog. It gets me out walks on a daily basis which I know if I didnt have a dog, I wouldnt be doing :lol:. Its a thought though on the stormy days.

balto
06-Jan-10, 21:32
Balto good on you or giving the dog a nice loving home :). Some people should not have dogs a dogs for live not for just Christmas.

When my husband and my son wanted a puppy I really hesitated as they are a lot of hard work, with all the toilet training and basic training. But 2 years on I cannot imagine having no dog. It gets me out walks on a daily basis which I know if I didnt have a dog, I wouldnt be doing :lol:. Its a thought though on the stormy days.
we have 4 cats a og an various other smaller pets plus 4 kids lol, cant imagine not having any of them atall, the pets i mean not the kids:lol:. they all need tiime and care, which can be hard at times, but they are just like bairns in the way they rely on us for everything. true what they say a dogs for life not just for christmas.

froal
06-Jan-10, 22:01
Nice thing u did for that doggie ! :D
I once forgot to bring in one of my dogs, Outside ALL night thankfully she didn't go far like outside our bedroom window !! and when i opened them in the morning she was stood outside looking at me how could you mum leave me outside....!!! :roll: thankfully it wasn't too cold ! she just leap on to the sofa curled up and slept the rest of that day ! you think she would of Barked or something i now count them as they come in now all 8 ! good job no-one took her, as mine don't wear collars unless they go for a walk somewhere other than our village.

balto
06-Jan-10, 22:26
Nice thing u did for that doggie ! :D
I once forgot to bring in one of my dogs, Outside ALL night thankfully she didn't go far like outside our bedroom window !! and when i opened them in the morning she was stood outside looking at me how could you mum leave me outside....!!! :roll: thankfully it wasn't too cold ! she just leap on to the sofa curled up and slept the rest of that day ! you think she would of Barked or something i now count them as they come in now all 8 ! good job no-one took her, as mine don't wear collars unless they go for a walk somewhere other than our village.
my word 8 dogs, it must be busy in your house lol, the dog in question always wore a coller, and everyone knew who she belonged to, but the coller came of, personnally i think it was just so know one would regonise her without it, but mayby im barking up the wrong tree with that one, but i dont think so.

igglepiggle
06-Jan-10, 23:51
Oh this makes me sooooooo mad![evil]

Igglepiggle it is so good that you realise your circumstances are not right at the moment to get a dog and only wish more people would do this.
By the way indoor cages can be great if used properly. Benjy loves his and actually runs into it for his 'naps' and at bedtime.:lol:

I know it is not right for us to have a dog, i am the bad mother haha, but it is only fair, and when the time is right when the kids are older and can help out with the walking etc then there will be a loving home waiting for a dog, but not until. It really annoys me seeing animals getting ignored after they baby/cute stage. i agree if the cages are used properly and the animals likes it, but i have seen dogs just put in them and they are whinning to get out when they could be out in the garden etc.[evil]

balto
07-Jan-10, 11:19
I know it is not right for us to have a dog, i am the bad mother haha, but it is only fair, and when the time is right when the kids are older and can help out with the walking etc then there will be a loving home waiting for a dog, but not until. It really annoys me seeing animals getting ignored after they baby/cute stage. i agree if the cages are used properly and the animals likes it, but i have seen dogs just put in them and they are whinning to get out when they could be out in the garden etc.[evil]
these cages sound so cruel, the animal must feel horriable being trapped in them. pity more people didnt think like you igglepiggle, they seem to rush into getting a pet an then it doesnt pan out the way they expect, so what do they do, either let it roam free, or get rid of it for stupid reasons, makes me mad.

igglepiggle
07-Jan-10, 12:34
these cages sound so cruel, the animal must feel horriable being trapped in them. pity more people didnt think like you igglepiggle, they seem to rush into getting a pet an then it doesnt pan out the way they expect, so what do they do, either let it roam free, or get rid of it for stupid reasons, makes me mad.

Totaly agree

froal
07-Jan-10, 14:06
my word 8 dogs, it must be busy in your house lol, the dog in question always wore a coller, and everyone knew who she belonged to, but the coller came of, personnally i think it was just so know one would regonise her without it, but mayby im barking up the wrong tree with that one, but i dont think so.

Not really that busy quite organised everybody has a routine only get excited when someone comes to the house but dosen't last long once they've said Hello ! or i don't forget to bring certain ones IN......!!! :roll:
I also agree with you it was not nice they left the collar off that little dog in fact quite bad to think they'd get away with it good job there's folk like you ! :D
All of ours are Crate trained to as we Show our dogs they need to be crate trained when we go away with them plus they only go there at nite times we only have 2 that can't be trusted ie chewing up things etc they have everything water, chews, toys thou i understand it doesn't work for everyone it works really well for us !

bullielove
07-Jan-10, 14:25
Im so glad it was a good outcome for this girlie.. Well done for detective work Bailto and for playing your part towards getting her a new home. It is so so sad just now with so many dogs been dumped for many differnet reasons ie the owner doesnt care anymore and the dog is an inconvenience they have been replaced by a new and cuter model, relationship break up recession etc

I really wish people would think before taking on a dog as a pet... For the lucky ones they end up in a new home but sadly for more they end up with a lethal injection.

The bullie rescue Im involved with now have twelve dogs come in or waiting to come in since Christmas alone and we already have some in foster care too, so now we are trying to find more foster homes so we can bring all the dogs in.. its never ending and its only the tip of the iceberg.. Sorry I could rant all day about this it makes me so mad but so glad to hear that this story had a good outcome!

cuddlepop
07-Jan-10, 15:05
Balto that is just so awfull that the dog warden couldnt act before to remove this dog from a life of misery.

Well done for you and yours giving this dog a chance for a better life.

Maybe its no bad idea for people to be vetted like foster cares before thery're allowed an animal.Then perhapse we wouldnt hear such horror stories.:)

balto
07-Jan-10, 16:49
Balto that is just so awfull that the dog warden couldnt act before to remove this dog from a life of misery.

Well done for you and yours giving this dog a chance for a better life.

Maybe its no bad idea for people to be vetted like foster cares before thery're allowed an animal.Then perhapse we wouldnt hear such horror stories.:) totally agree with you, you get folk who the sspca or other associations wont allow to have animals, yet they can go private and they are given an animal, to yet abuse dump or whatever the end result would be. also i suppose the dog warden have to be careful with what they can and cant do, its ok for people to say oh so and so is mistreating an animal, but it has to be seen by the sspca or warden.

mop top
07-Jan-10, 20:06
Hi

Have been following this thread since it began last night and would like to thank Balto and her partner for keeping this dog safe and warm inside their house until it was picked up by a fosterer. As most of you who follow my postings will know I have actually been off sick since start of Dec 09 however i received a telephone call from Thurso Police on the 29th Dec to say that a member of the public had found a dog in Thurso and was keeping it inside their house, until it could be picked up. The police have an out of hours responsibility for stray dogs but due to the time of year and the weather conditions it was not suitable for the police to take this dog in as if it were not claimed it would have been cooped up in their facilities until the council returned to work on the 5th January.

I telephoned the finders of the dog and spoke to a man on the phone who described the dog to me and told me the area it was found in, i immediately had a suspicion who the dog may belong to as i have had several calls in the past from concerned neighbours as this young dog had apparently been out wandering before although despite previously regularly patrolling on the look out for it had never managed to actually find it. Sure SSPCA will also have had reports stating concern for the dogs welfare as i had urged people who had concerns for its welfare to report them to the SSPCA as the council have no powers to deal with suspected neglect. The man i spoke to knew of the dog i had mentioned however did not think that this was the same dog as it had no collar on, however once his wife arrived home from trying to trace where the dog came from she had found out that this was indeed the same dog, and had actually spoken to the owner of the dogs mother who stated that her daughter did not actually want the dog and to put it to the police or whatever. As it was not the owner of the dog that said this and it could have been said with an underlying reason ie family dispute etc. I then asked the finders of the dog if they would possibly visit the owners house and try and return the dog which they did try to do but the owner was not in and they were informed by neighbours that the owner had left in a taxi earlier that morning. They phoned me back then to inform me of this and i then contacted a fosterer and arranged to have the dog picked up so that it could be cared for pending the owner phoning to reclaim it. The owner has never made any attempt to claim this dog. I am sure all other dog owners would be absolutely distraught on returning home to find their dog missing and immediately phone the police who in turn would have put the owner in my direction and i could have arranged to have the dog returned to them with a warning about allowing it to stray.

As mentioned earlier this dog has now found a lovely new home, however it has come to my attention today that the council are being accused in a text message of dodgy dealings with regards to stray dogs and it was insinuated that i had almost stolen this dog and rehomed it. Council policy with regards to stray dogs was also questioned and it was mentioned that a note should have been put through the suspected owners door telling them of where the dog was. Perhaps during normal circumstances I would have gone the extra mile and possibly done this, but as i mentioned previously i was off sick and all council offices were closed due to the xmas break so this did not happen however i am satisfied that if the owner had any intention of reclaiming this dog then they would have done so.

It is rather disappointing to have to come on here and justify my actions and i would have rathered that the person making the accusations against me and the council had contacted me personally but there you go, this is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth lol.

balto
07-Jan-10, 21:25
that is terriable, i know that all was one for this dog to be returned home to its owner, how anyone can accuse you of taking it is pure crazy, you all do a wonderful job in what you do yourselves an sspca, if only people would stop and think before taking a dog in. whoever sent these text, should be ashamed of themselves.

BINBOB
07-Jan-10, 23:21
that is terriable, i know that all was one for this dog to be returned home to its owner, how anyone can accuse you of taking it is pure crazy, you all do a wonderful job in what you do yourselves an sspca, if only people would stop and think before taking a dog in. whoever sent these text, should be ashamed of themselves.

I think they sound like they will just go get another poor wee dog.......these horrid folk.Well done ,Balto.;)

cuddlepop
08-Jan-10, 11:26
Hi

Have been following this thread since it began last night and would like to thank Balto and her partner for keeping this dog safe and warm inside their house until it was picked up by a fosterer. As most of you who follow my postings will know I have actually been off sick since start of Dec 09 however i received a telephone call from Thurso Police on the 29th Dec to say that a member of the public had found a dog in Thurso and was keeping it inside their house, until it could be picked up. The police have an out of hours responsibility for stray dogs but due to the time of year and the weather conditions it was not suitable for the police to take this dog in as if it were not claimed it would have been cooped up in their facilities until the council returned to work on the 5th January.

I telephoned the finders of the dog and spoke to a man on the phone who described the dog to me and told me the area it was found in, i immediately had a suspicion who the dog may belong to as i have had several calls in the past from concerned neighbours as this young dog had apparently been out wandering before although despite previously regularly patrolling on the look out for it had never managed to actually find it. Sure SSPCA will also have had reports stating concern for the dogs welfare as i had urged people who had concerns for its welfare to report them to the SSPCA as the council have no powers to deal with suspected neglect. The man i spoke to knew of the dog i had mentioned however did not think that this was the same dog as it had no collar on, however once his wife arrived home from trying to trace where the dog came from she had found out that this was indeed the same dog, and had actually spoken to the owner of the dogs mother who stated that her daughter did not actually want the dog and to put it to the police or whatever. As it was not the owner of the dog that said this and it could have been said with an underlying reason ie family dispute etc. I then asked the finders of the dog if they would possibly visit the owners house and try and return the dog which they did try to do but the owner was not in and they were informed by neighbours that the owner had left in a taxi earlier that morning. They phoned me back then to inform me of this and i then contacted a fosterer and arranged to have the dog picked up so that it could be cared for pending the owner phoning to reclaim it. The owner has never made any attempt to claim this dog. I am sure all other dog owners would be absolutely distraught on returning home to find their dog missing and immediately phone the police who in turn would have put the owner in my direction and i could have arranged to have the dog returned to them with a warning about allowing it to stray.

As mentioned earlier this dog has now found a lovely new home, however it has come to my attention today that the council are being accused in a text message of dodgy dealings with regards to stray dogs and it was insinuated that i had almost stolen this dog and rehomed it. Council policy with regards to stray dogs was also questioned and it was mentioned that a note should have been put through the suspected owners door telling them of where the dog was. Perhaps during normal circumstances I would have gone the extra mile and possibly done this, but as i mentioned previously i was off sick and all council offices were closed due to the xmas break so this did not happen however i am satisfied that if the owner had any intention of reclaiming this dog then they would have done so.

It is rather disappointing to have to come on here and justify my actions and i would have rathered that the person making the accusations against me and the council had contacted me personally but there you go, this is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth lol.

Mop Top please dont take the text personally some people just love "stirring" things up.
Someone no matter who it was would be "blamed" for removing a dog from an "apparent" loving home.;)
Your doing a fantastic job but please realise you dont have to justifi your actions its "only your job".:)