PDA

View Full Version : TV recording

Ricco
06-Jan-10, 08:30
Here's a question for those of you in the know:

We recently got a LCD TV and want to replace our aging VCR recorder, in which the DVD player has been failing. I fancy moving to a hard drive recorder with BluRay player. Is this a valid idea... and will it cost the earth?:eek:

shazzap
06-Jan-10, 10:27
Here's a question for those of you in the know:

We recently got a LCD TV and want to replace our aging VCR recorder, in which the DVD player has been failing. I fancy moving to a hard drive recorder with BluRay player. Is this a valid idea... and will it cost the earth?:eek:

We have a hard drive DVD recorder and i can recommend them.
As for BluRay player haven't a clue, aren't their DVDs more expensive?

Ricco
06-Jan-10, 11:39
We have a hard drive DVD recorder and i can recommend them.
As for BluRay player haven't a clue, aren't their DVDs more expensive?

Thanks for the comment on HD recording. I expect the Bluray will be more expensive until it becomes more common. With HD format TV and the new 3D movies I expect there will be a big move across to BluRay.

jimbews
06-Jan-10, 13:58
Thanks for the comment on HD recording. I expect the Bluray will be more expensive until it becomes more common. With HD format TV and the new 3D movies I expect there will be a big move across to BluRay.

But will there be a need to record to Bluray: will you have a HD source to record?
As these are expensive it may be that the recorders are a white elephant as there seems to be a move to roll out a new transmission scheme for terrestrial TV to cope with HD channels. There MAY be the odd channel on Freeview, but indications are that they will have to implement a new transmission technique to allow for sufficient HD channels - and the existing digital terrestrial receivers (inclduing PVR/DVD) won't be able to do it!

I'd strongly advocate a hard disk (PVR) / DVD recorder combination (Which Magazine Best Buys give examples costing just over 200 pounds) and a separate Bluray PLAYER.

The PVR/DVD combination is fantastic and you'll wonder how you ever managed with a VCR. I currently have about 35 hours of recording that I can recall at the touch of a button and then use the DVD recorder function to "dub" these onto DVD to pass on as required.

Modern camcorders plug in directly to transfer video digitally, but I also found much better results by digging out the old analogue camcorder and re-recording old footage with the video input.

Keep a VCR and you can copy old videos to PVR - EXCEPT those that are copy protected.

Ricco
06-Jan-10, 16:29
But will there be a need to record to Bluray: will you have a HD source to record?
As these are expensive it may be that the recorders are a white elephant as there seems to be a move to roll out a new transmission scheme for terrestrial TV to cope with HD channels. There MAY be the odd channel on Freeview, but indications are that they will have to implement a new transmission technique to allow for sufficient HD channels - and the existing digital terrestrial receivers (inclduing PVR/DVD) won't be able to do it!

I'd strongly advocate a hard disk (PVR) / DVD recorder combination (Which Magazine Best Buys give examples costing just over 200 pounds) and a separate Bluray PLAYER.

The PVR/DVD combination is fantastic and you'll wonder how you ever managed with a VCR. I currently have about 35 hours of recording that I can recall at the touch of a button and then use the DVD recorder function to "dub" these onto DVD to pass on as required.

Modern camcorders plug in directly to transfer video digitally, but I also found much better results by digging out the old analogue camcorder and re-recording old footage with the video input.

Keep a VCR and you can copy old videos to PVR - EXCEPT those that are copy protected.

My thanks to both jimbews and shazzap for their advice - it has clarify what I was thinking. I had heard some rumour about a new terrestrial format but had given it no thought. I shall indeed keep the VCR for long enough to transfer any favourites but they are very few these days as I replaced much of them with DVDs.

EDDIE
06-Jan-10, 18:38
Well i have playstation 3 with the tv add on i can play games record tv and watch blu ray films thats what i do.
When your buying electrical goods i think your wasting your money buying the latest gear because the min you buy it its out of date you never win.I wouldnt worry to much about 3d films yet if that does take of you would probably need to get a 3d capable player and tv to get full benifit of 3d not just using the glasses.
Blu ray is a lot better than dvd and will replace dvd just the same as dvds replace thevideo tapes.
If i had a choice for recording onto a disc or hardive i would pick the hardrive because if you record your tv programs onto disc and turn it into a collection there is no gaurantee that those blank discs will be compatible with the next player you buy.
The original copyrighted dvds will play in any players but blank disc dont play in every player most but not all ?

Liz
06-Jan-10, 19:22
I have a Humax Freeview PVR(this is a twin tuner hard drive recorder) along with a Panasonic Blu-Ray player as I personally prefer separates as if anything goes wrong with one and needs to be sent off for repair etc at least you still have the other.

I can honestly say the PVR has transformed my TV viewing and I could never go back to a VCR now.
Although I have a Blu-ray player I don't watch many Blu-rays as they are still too expensive but the one I got wasn't too expensive and makes a great job of upscaling SD DVDs and I am ready for when Blu-rays come down in price.:D

Aaldtimer
07-Jan-10, 04:28
Ricco, I'm confused..."We recently got a LCD TV and want to replace our aging VCR recorder, in which the DVD player has been failing."...where does the DVD player come in?:confused

jimbews
07-Jan-10, 13:37
Ricco, I'm confused..."We recently got a LCD TV and want to replace our aging VCR recorder, in which the DVD player has been failing."...where does the DVD player come in?:confused

Often these are combination devices. Here in the University we have combination VCR/DVD systems in all our lecture theatres and tutorial rooms.

Ricco
07-Jan-10, 22:09
Often these are combination devices. Here in the University we have combination VCR/DVD systems in all our lecture theatres and tutorial rooms.

That's the one, jimbews. ;)