PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Drivers Licence Test

thoms83
05-Jan-10, 19:26
Hi all

I'm just about to apply to sit the test (in Thurso) to get my taxi drivers licence.

I was just wondering if anyone else has sat it recently and if I could get some advice on what to study for it?

I think its in two parts: local knowledge and something else?

I have a map of the thurso area and a sample test paper from the council. Does everyone sit the same test or do they vary? Whats the pass mark and how easy/difficult is it?

Does anyone know any books I could get to help?

Thanks in advance

Green_not_greed
05-Jan-10, 19:49
Its pretty simple but you have to remember a few important things.

1 - don't ever indicate

2 - pull in as sharp as you like anywhere on the street

3 - generally ignore the rules of the road which most other drivers have to follow.

Good luck!

rhino
05-Jan-10, 19:54
dont forget about honkin your horn n waitin in the car, especially if its after the 11pm regulation.

northener
05-Jan-10, 20:01
If you ask at the service point they should be able to give you a sample test paper.

4 parts

Highway Code (dead easy)

Local knowledge: You will be asked to describe routes from a to b in Wick/Thurso. You don't have to memorise all the street names, but you shuld be able to describe the route accurately.

Highland Roads: Multi-choice covering the A road layout of the Highland region from Skye to Nairn and Inverness to the Far North

Touristy stuff: Multi choice covering such diverse locations as the Highland Wildlife Park and the Grey Cairns.

philupmaboug
05-Jan-10, 20:01
You have a map of the Thurso area! Good start. I was asked to write down the shortest route from Wick High Street to Main Street Portree! Good Luck;-)

thoms83
05-Jan-10, 20:04
Touristy stuff: Multi choice covering such diverse locations as the Highland Wildlife Park and the Grey Cairns.

Thanks for that. Any good books/websites you can recommend for the touristy stuff?

northener
05-Jan-10, 20:14
Thanks for that. Any good books/websites you can recommend for the touristy stuff?

Not really. Like I said, get hold of a sample exam paper and it'll give you an idea of the sort of thing they are looking for. On the plus side, the touristy questions are only worth 1 point each - so don't worry if you get a couple wrong. But most of them are pretty straight forward.

The PITA one is the 'A' road layout. if you get the map out and start writing down the shortest route by A road between all the major towns in the highlands are mentioned above, you'll begin to get a good mental picture in your head.
You'll get a choice of 4 possible answers..two of which are going to be pretty viable routes in many cases - so you need to have that 'map' fixed in your head.

BINBOB
05-Jan-10, 20:22
Sorry,no help or advice to give..but wishing u the best of luck!;)

celtic1888
05-Jan-10, 20:41

1 - don't ever indicate

3 - generally ignore the rules of the road which most other drivers have to follow.

Good luck!

Took the words out of my mouth. thank you for that!
however you missed one, nearly go into anyones car you like, you have the right of the road 24/7..
Man i dislike taxi drivers for that four reasons, however hopefully you'll be different! :D

liz_paul
05-Jan-10, 22:09
Have you ever used a taxis to go anywhere.

upolian
05-Jan-10, 22:13

1 - don't ever indicate

Good luck!

hahahahahahahahahahahaha that made me laugh

dragonfly
05-Jan-10, 22:14
the test can't be that hard............just look at some of the drivers! ;)

do as suggested and go the the council service point for a sample test

scotsannie
05-Jan-10, 23:17
Don't tar all driver's with the same brush, my hubby is a very courteous taxi driver, and should be given an award for driving around 8-10 hours a day, negotiating plonkers who pull out in front of him, drivers who are practically "In the Boot", drivers who don't signal, or give a signal and then turn in the opposite direction along with all the other stupid tricks they pull. Hope you pass with flying colours. and don't let the side down.

M R
05-Jan-10, 23:25
Have you ever used a taxis to go anywhere.

Who is this slightly strange question directed at ?

celtic1888
09-Jan-10, 04:03
Yet again tonight a taxi driver pulled some hellish stunt to get to where he was going.
Whoever was driving the Ormile Taxis minibus.. try doing a 3 point turn so you stay on your side of the road!
I had just come out of a junction heading towards skinandis, and low and behold, right in front of the police was the minibus facing down the way on my side of the road. i had to cross lanes and go on the wrong side of the road so he could get past.. honestly, why doesnt anyone (or the police) take notes of this, if it was any other car they would have been stopped there and then..why should taxi drivers be let off with this?!

northener
09-Jan-10, 11:59
Yet again tonight a taxi driver pulled some hellish stunt to get to where he was going.
Whoever was driving the Ormile Taxis minibus.. try doing a 3 point turn so you stay on your side of the road!
I had just come out of a junction heading towards skinandis, and low and behold, right in front of the police was the minibus facing down the way on my side of the road. i had to cross lanes and go on the wrong side of the road so he could get past.. honestly, why doesnt anyone (or the police) take notes of this, if it was any other car they would have been stopped there and then..why should taxi drivers be let off with this?!

If it bothers you that much, why don't you phone up Ormlie taxis and complain?

Kirdon
09-Jan-10, 17:50

1 - don't ever indicate

Good luck!

Not all taxi drivers drive like this!, just 99.9% of them. Some of the more "northern" ones can be quite courtious.

dancingtaz13
11-Jan-10, 23:20
Hi Thoms,

i sat my taxi test last month and got a sample paper sent to me with application. You should have got one too?
If you know general tourist attractions (Caithness & Sutherland) and where they are plus scottish castles will help you too. There was nothin specific on net that helped me. Think pass mark is about 75%.
Look over your map of Caithness towns.

shortest routes from A-B (sample paper will help you with these.)

Best of Luck.

Hi all

I'm just about to apply to sit the test (in Thurso) to get my taxi drivers licence.

I was just wondering if anyone else has sat it recently and if I could get some advice on what to study for it?

I think its in two parts: local knowledge and something else?

I have a map of the thurso area and a sample test paper from the council. Does everyone sit the same test or do they vary? Whats the pass mark and how easy/difficult is it?

Does anyone know any books I could get to help?

Thanks in advance

thoms83
13-Jan-10, 10:20
Thanks northener, dancingtaz13 and all others who offered their advice - will be booking the test shortly. Cheers.

thoms83
13-Jan-10, 14:39
Just one more quick question - how long to you have to have your driving licence before you can apply for a taxi drivers licence..?

Invisible
13-Jan-10, 14:44
don't forget to tailgate.

upolian
13-Jan-10, 18:56
Took the words out of my mouth. thank you for that!
however you missed one, nearly go into anyones car you like, you have the right of the road 24/7..
Man i dislike taxi drivers for that four reasons, however hopefully you'll be different! :D

so how do you explain your action's earlier on today(13/1/10) when you decided to hit your brakes for no reason,then speeding up whilst a car went round you(ALMOST GOING HEAD ON IN TO ANOTHER CAR).... *awaits a very interesting answer*

you may dislike taxi driver's but sure as hell your going to cause a bloody accident driving like that!!!

BINBOB
13-Jan-10, 19:46
OOOOOHHHHHHH,dear.:roll:

upolian
13-Jan-10, 21:19
OOOOOHHHHHHH,dear.:roll:

extremely dangerous driving this,somebody isnt going to have a license very long:roll:

Billy Boy
13-Jan-10, 22:02
extremely dangerous driving this,somebody isnt going to have a license very long:roll:

If it was that dangerous i take it you reported it to the police?

DanaFlett
13-Jan-10, 22:24
Yeah do all those things and dont forget to smuggle drink for people under the front seat of your taxi lol,on a more serious note,good luck with your test am sure you'll do fine.

celtic1888
14-Jan-10, 01:00
so how do you explain your action's earlier on today(13/1/10) when you decided to hit your brakes for no reason,then speeding up whilst a car went round you(ALMOST GOING HEAD ON IN TO ANOTHER CAR).... *awaits a very interesting answer*

you may dislike taxi driver's but sure as hell your going to cause a bloody accident driving like that!!!

that im afraid wis a very stupid thing to do which i regret fully..
will never be happening again for sure

ducati
14-Jan-10, 01:10
Not all taxi drivers drive like this!, just 99.9% of them. Some of the more "northern" ones can be quite courtious.

They do need to know how to Courteously charge 18 quid for an 8 mile round trip on a saturday afternoon! :eek:

ducati
14-Jan-10, 09:59
Ducati, was that the price on the meter? It does sound a bit excessive to me for Saturday afternoon.

Obviously I haven't got the full details of your journey, but the following may help you.

Tariff 1: £3.10 for the first mile + subsequent miles at £1.30 pm = £12.20.
So 8 miles would be about £12.00-£13.00 on the meter (if there was no more than 4 of you and there was no waiting time).

Unless it was Boxing Day or New Years' Day (Saturdays), in which case you got a bloody good deal as it should have been Tariff 2.:Razz

That was the quote. I declined the kind offer and walked. Luckily I usually have a choice of car or bike. The one time you're caught out... I don't know how anyone can afford Taxis.:(

northener
14-Jan-10, 10:06
That was the quote. I declined the kind offer and walked. Luckily I usually have a choice of car or bike. The one time you're caught out... I don't know how anyone can afford Taxis.:(

My apologies, I quoted the wrong tariff -that's why i deleted my O.P!:roll:

The tariffs were changed recently by the Highland Council so that Saturday if now Tariff 2 all day - it used to be T2 just on Sat night - in which case it works out.

T2: First mile at £4.20 then 7 miles at £1.80 pm = £18.60. bang on.

But, depending on where you live and which taxi firms you use can make a big difference. Most Wick firms will charge T1 (or less) in the daytime on Saturday unless it's an awkward run for them. Can't speak for Thurso taxis, mind.

thoms83
14-Jan-10, 10:13

Hi northener, how long do you have to have your driving licence for before you can apply for a taxi drivers licence?

ducati
14-Jan-10, 10:22

The tariffs were changed recently by the Highland Council so that Saturday if now Tariff 2 all day - it used to be T2 just on Sat night - in which case it works out.

T2: First mile at £4.20 then 7 miles at £1.80 pm = £18.60. bang on.

But, depending on where you live and which taxi firms you use can make a big difference. Most Wick firms will charge T1 (or less) in the daytime on Saturday unless it's an awkward run for them. Can't speak for Thurso taxis, mind.

Forgive my ignorance-I've never used public transport much. But do I understand that Taxis are a Council run cartell? Whatever happened to Maggie's "competition for the benefit of the consumer"?

lazytown
14-Jan-10, 10:26
Hi northener, how long do you have to have your driving licence for before you can apply for a taxi drivers licence?

Here is the Guidance notes:

DRIVERS’ LICENCES
(a) The appropriate licence is required for driving, or otherwise having charge of, a Taxi or Private Hire Car. A person holding a Taxi Driver’s Licence does not require a Private Hire Car Driver’s Licence.
(b) Any person who wishes to obtain a Licence to drive either a Taxi or a Private Hire Car must:-
(i) have held during any continuous period of 12 months prior to the date of the application a full driving licence;
(ii) be a fit and proper person to hold a Licence;
(iii) be 18 years of age or more;
(iv) if suffering from any physical or mental condition likely to affect his/her fitness as a driver or which might do so in the future or if over 65 years of age, undertake and pass an annual medical examination as to his/her physical and mental fitness to carry out the duties of a Taxi or Private Hire Car Driver;
(v) for Taxi Drivers only undertake and pass a knowledge test, which will include a general test of knowledge of the Highland and relevant local road network, tourist facilities and the Highway Code.
(c) Comply with the Council’s approved dress code as detailed below, be clean and tidy in their person or clothing, conduct themselves in a proper and civil manner and, while carrying a passenger, refrain from smoking.
Male Drivers
• Shirt with collar open neck or (preferably) with tie
• Trousers and shoes
Female Drivers
• A blouse, skirt or trousers and shoes.
The following must not be worn:-
• Training shoes
• Baseball caps
• Track suits
• Denims or corduroy jeans
• T-shirts
• Football and other sports related shirts
• Polo shirts (unless they carry a logo specific to a taxi/PHC company)

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/70C18D4A-1C79-4FA3-B4FD-304E4D4E15F8/0/taxiandPHCguidancenotes.pdf

northener
14-Jan-10, 12:05
Forgive my ignorance-I've never used public transport much. But do I understand that Taxis are a Council run cartell? Whatever happened to Maggie's "competition for the benefit of the consumer"?

Not a 'cartel' as such, Ducati.

HC set the maximum amount that can be charged by a Taxi (or a Private Hire car fitted with a meter). This is to protect the customer more than anything. Taxi companies are free to be as competetive as they like below this maximum limit.

Here in Wick the runs around town tend to be a set price (below the true meter price) longer runs vary quite a bit. Some will charge below the meter price if you negotiate the price politely before the journey, what they won't stand for is people arguing about the meter price once they've arrived at their destination.
Let me put it this way, try taking a loaf of bread to the tills at Tescos and then demanding a discount after it's been rung through...I know what reaction you'll get....

BTW, although the prices seem quite high on the surface, you have to bear in mind that taxis only earn money when they've got a customer sat in them. Customers tend to see the meter spinning round on a Saturday night and assume the cabbies are raking it in 24/7..not so during the week on a night-time.

upolian
14-Jan-10, 13:17
If it was that dangerous i take it you reported it to the police?

happened to a friend,im sure he will...

ducati
14-Jan-10, 13:43
Good info Northener-Thanks

Turquoise
14-Jan-10, 14:32
[quote=lazytown;644803]Here is the Guidance notes:

DRIVERS’ LICENCES
(a) The appropriate licence is required for driving, or otherwise having charge of, a Taxi or Private Hire Car. A person holding a Taxi Driver’s Licence does not require a Private Hire Car Driver’s Licence.
(b) Any person who wishes to obtain a Licence to drive either a Taxi or a Private Hire Car must:-
(i) have held during any continuous period of 12 months prior to the date of the application a full driving licence;
(iv) if suffering from any physical or mental condition likely to affect his/her fitness as a driver or which might do so in the future or if over 65 years of age, undertake and pass an annual medical examination as to his/her physical and mental fitness to carry out the duties of a Taxi or Private Hire Car Driver;
(v) for Taxi Drivers only undertake and pass a knowledge test, which will include a general test of knowledge of the Highland and relevant local road network, tourist facilities and the Highway Code.
(c) Comply with the Council’s approved dress code as detailed below, be clean and tidy in their person or clothing, conduct themselves in a proper and civil manner and, while carrying a passenger, refrain from smoking. [quote=lazytown;644803]

Come on then Northerner...how did you fool 'em??? :lol:

northener
14-Jan-10, 16:20
[quote=lazytown;644803]Here is the Guidance notes:

DRIVERS’ LICENCES
(c) Comply with the Council’s approved dress code as detailed below, be clean and tidy in their person or clothing, conduct themselves in a proper and civil manner and, while carrying a passenger, refrain from smoking. [quote=lazytown;644803]

Come on then Northerner...how did you fool 'em??? :lol:

Cheeky , true gent, I am.;)

http://data68.sevenload.com/slcom/yo/kq/njhgee/qesonjnsrrj.jpg~/Robert-De-Niro-Taxi-Driver.jpg

lazytown
14-Jan-10, 16:26
lol, wasnt me that posted than Northener, it was Turquoise.

Turquoise
14-Jan-10, 16:31
lol, wasnt me that posted than Northener, it was Turquoise.

Yeah, sorry I must've messed up the quotes!

I am not however sorry for the cheek!! :lol: