PDA

View Full Version : Problem with adding RAM

ecb
30-Dec-09, 22:22
I have just upgraded the RAM on someones (rather old) computer from 384 MB to 640 MB, however, the pc is taking much, much longer to boot up than it did before the upgrade, presumably the pc is checking the RAM (although nothing is shown on the screen). Is there any way that this slowness can be avoided, while keeping the extra RAM, please?

octane
30-Dec-09, 22:38
sounds like you have stuck in some incompatable ram. If its of a slower speed than whats already there then the pc will downclock itself to match the weakest ram.

ecb
30-Dec-09, 22:55
sounds like you have stuck in some incompatable ram. If its of a slower speed than whats already there then the pc will downclock itself to match the weakest ram.

I hope not, I visited the Crucial web site

http://www.crucial.com/uk/?click=true

and used the system scanner tool to find out the correct RAM to buy. Could there be another explanation?

Bobinovich
30-Dec-09, 23:03
Not sure but I'd tend to try the obvious - i.e. remove the new RAM and see if the system returns to it's original speed. If so then try the new 256Mb module with the old 256Mb one (leaving out the 128Mb) to see if it's happier with a different combination. This may indicate where the problem lies.

It could be that the Crucial checker told you what your system can handle/needs, but the modules you already had in may be of a slower speed. I know it shouldn't make that much of a difference but, having worked with these blinkin' machines for quite a while, I find that logic doesn't always come into it :D