PDA

View Full Version : Fieldfare and Lapwing.

Seabird
28-Dec-09, 16:07
On cliffs at Swiney Hill this morning. (Fieldfare does have a ring on leg.) There were about a dozen Fieldfare, lapwings, Redwings, Thrushes, Starlings, Robin, Blackbirds, Crows. A fair mixture of birds.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/seabird72/bird%20pictures/Fieldfareb28-12-09.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/seabird72/bird%20pictures/Lapwing28-12-09.jpg

Colin
Caithness sea watching

catherine nicol
29-Dec-09, 21:46
I saw some fieldfares and redwing amongst starling flocks today at the Trinkie and Noss.

I did think that it was late for field fares and redwing but not a regular birder on Wick side so didn't know if they bred on this side of county.

Any info on whether migrating birds forced down due to cold spell we are having?

catherine nicol
29-Dec-09, 21:47
oops sorry Colin, great pics. Keep them coming.

doyle
12-Jan-10, 21:55
I had a fieldfare come into my garden on friday - never seen one before so got my book out to identify. It was munching away on berries and stayed for quite some time. It appeared to be on its own but the book says they are usually seen in large flocks, often mixed with redwings, so does anyone know why this fella was on his own? Gutted I never managed to get a photo but I didn't want to disturb it by opening the back door.

Kenn
13-Jan-10, 02:13
A few fieldfares do breed up here..and are resident through the year but the majority are winter visitors along with the redwings...must be tough for all the birds at the moment 'cos if they head south conditions have been even worse.

sprint95m
13-Jan-10, 19:15
I had a fieldfare come into my garden on friday - It appeared to be on its own but the book says they are usually seen in large flocks, often mixed with redwings, so does anyone know why this fella was on his own?

Usually in flocks but not always.
This past two weeks I have seen both species as individuals and in small groups of about 6 or 10 at different places including Gillfield Farm, Reiss, Quoys of Reiss, Keiss Links,etc.
The starlings are still in large flocks.
By the end of last week I no longer saw a single lapwing or golden plover in these places. Maybe they'll return with the thaw?

Rheghead
13-Jan-10, 22:43
Hi would the lapwing be a late straggler or an early visitor?

Aaldtimer
14-Jan-10, 04:03

All Lapwings don't migrate, a lot of them over-winter near the estuaries of rivers.
There was a fascinating prog on BBC2 tonight, "Snow Watch" which explained a lot about the unusual behaviour in certain types of birds during this unusual weather.
It was a change to the scheduled progs, so maybe people were unaware of it, but it might be on the BBC i-player.
Very interesting!:)

sprint95m
14-Jan-10, 20:05
I suspect neither!
Don't the huge flocks that winter here (along with the golden plovers) come from further north and, the ones that breed here move further south?
These birds certainly seem to me to be much more numerous in winter (although they are easily missed if they are on the parks, given their good camouflage, as we drive along in cars).