PDA

View Full Version : Party Leaders go Head-to-Head on TV

Rheghead
21-Dec-09, 19:43
Do you think it will reinvigorate public interest in politics?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8425280.stm

Saveman
21-Dec-09, 19:54
It'll be entertaining if nothing else.....

golach
21-Dec-09, 20:07
It will be a complete waste of time, Handbags at five paces nothing more, glad to see Wee Fat Eck never got an invite. [lol]

Amy-Winehouse
21-Dec-09, 20:33
Do you think it will reinvigorate public interest in politics?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8425280.stm

No, Politicians are all corrupt it would seem these days , promise you the earth if they get elected yet as soon as they are, the promises are broken and forgotten.

Would you have friends in your house that were anything like those chancers in charge of Westminster or even worse still Holyrood ???
Im sure I wouldnt , so I very much doubt i will be listening to the crap that they will be spouting .

Rheghead
21-Dec-09, 20:40
No, Politicians are all corrupt it would seem these days , promise you the earth if they get elected yet as soon as they are, the promises are broken and forgotten.

Do they want to break their promises or is it that the inertia of change is insurmountable?

Welcomefamily
21-Dec-09, 20:46
I think many people have lost confidence in politics

tonkatojo
21-Dec-09, 21:11
It will be a complete waste of time, Handbags at five paces nothing more, glad to see Wee Fat Eck never got an invite. [lol]

Aye but he and his sidekicks are chuckin all sorts oot the pram LOL.

pat
21-Dec-09, 23:32
will probably make the effort to watch, to try to find how many more untruths we have been told and will be told in the programmes.

Could be very interesting if the candidates ask other leaders questions they do not wish to answer - to see them squirm and do anything but answer the question put to them, if it was not so sad it would be laughable.

Will also allow us to see how fast they can think up appropriate and well thought out answers without changing their already stated policies.

It will not really change my thoughts of many politicians - very untruthful bar stewards.

Bazeye
21-Dec-09, 23:58
Id rather watch them slug it out against each other.

Boozeburglar
22-Dec-09, 00:21
I think it is a massive mistake for Labour at least. I think we all know by now that Brown is not the most suited to the cameras.

He may think he will win minds by being honest and talking policy, but the truth is we live in an age of spin, all around us and the slimiest will likely gain the most.

Boozeburglar
22-Dec-09, 00:56

Why would he be invited? Each country is having their own. Whatever the SNP and others wanted, it would have been strange.

Kenn
22-Dec-09, 10:33
Most people are interested on politics, it's the politicians that drive us all to distraction!

Boozeburglar
23-Dec-09, 00:24
There are many politicians I admire greatly.

Tony Benn springs to mind. Lot of time for Portillo, Healey, Livingstone, Salmond.

I have always had a lot of time for Brown, but I just don't see him learning how to do tv politics by spring..

golach
23-Dec-09, 00:45
There are many politicians I admire greatly.

Tony Benn springs to mind. Lot of time for Portillo, Healey, Livingstone, Salmond.

I have always had a lot of time for Brown, but I just don't see him learning how to do tv politics by spring..

Did you say politicians your admire, or Comedians, your last two nominees are the latter IMO[lol]

Rheghead
23-Dec-09, 20:35
I see Salmond is trying to get the debate blocked from being shown on Scottish TV channels. Blatant censorship if you ask me and pretty childish. If he is stepping down from his westminster seat to concentrate on Holyrood then why all the fuss of being left out? I've no objection about him going head-to-head with leaders of the MSP parties on his Channel 6 if it ever gets off the ground.

viking
23-Dec-09, 20:49
Don't you think no matter how much it's promoted as 'live debate' it's in fact very staged with the politicians knowing the questions well in advance? I think the next general election will be the closest in years and will hopefully spark an interest in politics for our younger voters.

Whitewater
23-Dec-09, 21:07
It does not matter if he blocks the debates on Scottish TV chanels, you can get all the English BBC & regional TV on Sky if you know where to look. He is a very silly man if he is being serious about blocking the debates, he will just be hammering another nail into his coffin. Does he not credit the Scots he purports to govern with enough brains to make up their own minds.

american gal
23-Dec-09, 22:33
Politics bull@>:@ is all they talk i never listen to the leaders and that is that:D

Boozeburglar
23-Dec-09, 23:33
Did you say politicians your admire, or Comedians, your last two nominees are the latter IMO[lol]

How can you be from Thurso and Scrabster???

You are either from Thurso or you are from Scrabster.

Of course, maybe you mean your parents are from these places, I could accept that.

..I would say your comments come from your top and bottom.

golach
23-Dec-09, 23:48
How can you be from Thurso and Scrabster???

You are either from Thurso or you are from Scrabster.

..I would say your comments come from your top and bottom.

Who cares ...not I, I have my opinions, you have yours, so what?

Boozeburglar
24-Dec-09, 00:20
Who cares ...not I, I have my opinions, you have yours, so what?

Aye, but for you mine are to be subject to ridicule..

Merry Christmas!

John MacKay
25-Dec-09, 01:27
The leaders' debate will be good. Though it should only be Brown v Cameron.

Don't underestimate Brown when it comes to this type of debate. He's a tribal politician and his political knowledge is extensive. He may be no good at smiling for cameras but when it comes to this sort of thing he excels.

A debate between Jim Murphy and the Tory and SNP Scottish spokesmen will be worth watching as well.

peter macdonald
25-Dec-09, 13:26
A debate between Jim Murphy and the Tory and SNP Scottish spokesmen will be worth watching as well..........

Why no Lib Dems on the Scottish debate then ................or did you see Jim Murphys performance on BBC over the Queens speech .Charlie Kennedy, Menzies Campbell etc would wipe the floor with Murphy in fact our dear friend Gordon Campbell probably would as well

As for the validity of a stage managed US presidential debate it pales into insignificance behind our many Caithness.org windfarm debates ...where at least the participants give their honest opinions and have done an honest days work in their lives
PM

John MacKay
25-Dec-09, 22:18
A debate between Jim Murphy and the Tory and SNP Scottish spokesmen will be worth watching as well..........

Why no Lib Dems on the Scottish debate then ................or did you see Jim Murphys performance on BBC over the Queens speech .Charlie Kennedy, Menzies Campbell etc would wipe the floor with Murphy in fact our dear friend Gordon Campbell probably would as well

As for the validity of a stage managed US presidential debate it pales into insignificance behind our many Caithness.org windfarm debates ...where at least the participants give their honest opinions and have done an honest days work in their lives
PM

Hi Peter,

The Lib Dems are currently polling at around 10% in Scotland for the General Election. Very much a minority party and therefore have no place in a Scottish only debate. Obviously the next government is going to be Labour or Tory but the Nationalists should be included in a Scotland only debate as well as they are the Scottish government and Labour's primary opposition in Scotland.

sam09
25-Dec-09, 22:28
I would be more impressed if alistair darling grew a back-bone and told the bankers there will be no bonuses for them and that their resignations would be greatfully accepted. As for Wee Eck , where is the independence in being taken into europe, if the wee man said that we would come out of europe, and meant it then even the English would vote S.N.P

Boozeburglar
25-Dec-09, 23:25
Hi Peter,

The Lib Dems are currently polling at around 10% in Scotland for the General Election. Very much a minority party and therefore have no place in a Scottish only debate. Obviously the next government is going to be Labour or Tory but the Nationalists should be included in a Scotland only debate as well as they are the Scottish government and Labour's primary opposition in Scotland.

Well if they have 10% they should at least get some representation on any TV debate.

The 'next goverment' in Scotland may well be SNP, and it is Labour who are the opposition here.

By your own reckoning, the conservatives should not be involved in any debate in Scotland, they are a total irrelevance to us.

peter macdonald
26-Dec-09, 14:05
Considering that the major flaw in the Westmister first past the post system is that normally the election is decided by a score or so "marginals " I would have thought that the Lib Dems input was more valuable than ever especially if we have a hung parliament As for being irrelevant New Labour has not of a presence in SW England.