PDA

View Full Version : Ospreys

Kevin Milkins
18-Dec-09, 01:46
Some bad news I think on one of the Loch Garten Ospreys. I have pasted this from there site.:confused

Now, the not such good news…..
It concerns Mallachie. We have waited for a second week to see if any data arrived, but there is still no data for her. Clearly, something must have happened, for there to be, no data for 2 weeks, but we cannot be sure quite what. Please try to be as reassured. It need not mean that it is entirely bad news. The scenarios are as follows;

The tag may have failed. It may have malfunctioned or potentially dropped off. If it had dropped off then, it ought to still be transmitting its whereabouts, unless of course it has dropped off into water. Although sealed, and waterproofed against brief and temporary wetting when the bird is fishing, prolonged emersion in water will likely cause it to stop working.
Alas, it could suggest that something has happened to Mallachie.
Tags falling off or failing has happened before. Talking to our technical colleagues at HQ, they tell me that, there have been cases where tags have stopped sending data, perhaps because the battery has got very low, or where the solar panel has become obscured by feathers and isn’t charging, and yet transmitters have resumed transmitting after quite some time. Or where bird have strayed into areas of poor satellite coverage. Also, there does seem to be satellite "blindspots" where heavy radio traffic drowns out the signals.

Examples they gave me were; a Sociable Lapwing, satellite tagged as part of a research programme. It stopped transmitting and the worst was feared. Yet a year later it was seen on its breeding grounds in Kazakhstan, identified by its leg rings, but was not carrying the satellite tag. Other Sociable Lapwings have been 'lost to the satellites” for periods of up to a couple of months.

In another case, the satellite tag, kept issuing data intermittently, and when investigated the tag was found in sand dunes, transmitting when it was exposed to the sun, but not doing so when the wind had blown the sand and covered it over.

So positive thinking please, Mallachie might just be fine, though we cannot ignore the possibility that we have lost her. Sorry to be the bearer of this worrying news in this, the season of festive cheer

Margaret M.
19-Dec-09, 18:42
Aw no, not Mallachie, Kevin. They pay a helluva price for those tags and I fail to see the value of strapping those contraptions on to the poor birds. That is one cause to which I refuse to give a penny. I am choosing to believe that both Mallachie and Nethy are doing just fine and their tags were either duds or they learned how to ditch them.

Kevin Milkins
19-Dec-09, 19:11
Aw no, not Mallachie, Kevin. They pay a helluva price for those tags and I fail to see the value of strapping those contraptions on to the poor birds. That is one cause to which I refuse to give a penny. I am choosing to believe that both Mallachie and Nethy are doing just fine and their satellites were either duds or they learned how to ditch them.

Where would we be without hope MM?:confused