PDA

View Full Version : Cranberry Sauce

catherine nicol
14-Dec-09, 14:17
Does anyone have a favourite recipe for Cranberry Sauce, never made my own before but fancy having a go.

Thanks

canuck
15-Dec-09, 17:55
Homemade Cranberry Sauce is the best by far!

Just follow the recipe on the package. Let me know if there isn't one on your package and I'll figure it out for you.
I add a sprinkle of cinnamon and a bit of orange juice and peel. A bit is about half a cup of juice instead of that much water and maybe the grated peel from one orange.

Betty
15-Dec-09, 20:19
Standard recipe for every 4 cups of cranberries (1 - 12 oz package) add one cup water, one cup sugar. Then add whatever else you like for added flavour.

canuck
15-Dec-09, 22:01
Standard recipe for every 4 cups of cranberries (1 - 12 oz package) add one cup water, one cup sugar. Then add whatever else you like for added flavour.

You must boil it up to the point where the berries start popping and keep it simmering for 5 minutes. Then into the jars while hot, or plastic containers once cooled down. It freezes beautifully. If the jars aren't sealed then keep them in the fridge.

Kathy@watten
16-Dec-09, 14:36
whatever recipe you go for you will make it even scrummier by soaking your cranberries overnight in port, or wine with a clove or two and half a cinnamon stick.........mine is done and in the cupboard! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sweep
18-Dec-09, 13:08
thanks for your posts guys. after reading them i decided to try making C S. its turned out really fab and i'm delighted. put in some cinnamon and ground cloves. the smell is fantastic, very christmassy.

dirdyweeker
18-Dec-09, 20:22
this is the one I use.
12oz cranberries
4oz soft brown sugar
2oz port
juice and zest 1 orange
cinnamon stick
slice ginger
put all into pan, bring to boil and simmer uncovered for about 30 mins
remove cinnamon stick and ginger
Leave to cool
Put in airtight container
Will keep in freezer for one month or fridge 1 week.

Hope you enjoy it.

catherine nicol
22-Dec-09, 13:32
Thanks everyone, off to soak my cranberries in port as suggested and will make the sauce tomorrow.

Looking forward to having my homemade cranberry sauce on xmas day.

Having cranberry and pork stuffing so will be perfect.

Merry Christmas.

poppett
22-Dec-09, 19:56
Tesco have a wonderful cream cheese roulade with cranberries for the festive season. If asked I would have said I don`t like cranberries, but after tasting the cheese, maybe I do.

canuck
22-Dec-09, 20:47
I made my sauce yesterday. Bring on the turkey!
And it goes beautifully with Brie Cheese.