PDA

View Full Version : Gelatine Nightmare!!

opel
04-Dec-09, 21:35
I made a lovely cheesecake the day which advised to use sheets of gelatine. followed the instructions, soaked in cold water for ten mins, then melted in a bowl over a pan. it melted fine, no lumps...
but when i added to the cheesecake it curdled and left wee jelly like lumps through the cheesecake!! Nightmare..
it hasnt affected the taste,, but should this gelatine once melted be allowed to cool before you add it to your mixture?
i dont know, i have never used it before?

if anyone can advise that would be great!

thank you

nightspirit
07-Dec-09, 19:52
I am assuming the soft cheese within the cheese cake had been in the fridge - yes ? If so it may be best to alllow the cheese to warm up slightly so the gelatine does not set on contact. i have had this issue in the past and making the mix at near room temperature has helped.

Leanne
07-Dec-09, 20:01
What Nightspirit said :)

The trick is to whisk vigorously with one hand and pour with the other...

Creme_Egg
18-Jan-10, 12:58
First of all i take it you used leaf gelatine? If not GO AND BUY SOME!

Leaf gelatine is much more stable and does not taint or flavour the food.

Soak it in cold water until soft and then squeeze all the excess water out and whisk in vigirously. Alternativly you can just soak it in water squeeze out then add it to some warm lemon juice dissolve it in the juice and whisk in to mixture.

changilass
18-Jan-10, 13:02
I use powdered gelatine and it works every time.

Creme_Egg
18-Jan-10, 13:23
Try using leaf gelatine.

I promise you wont go back.

Infact i will give you some if you like?.....

shamrock2007
18-Jan-10, 20:58
Leaf gelatine is really good or you could try using a recipe without gelatine maybe with cornflour instead

Creme_Egg
18-Jan-10, 23:17
Corn flour is just a thickener it wont set anything