PDA

View Full Version : Connecting PC to TV?

redeyedtreefrog
03-Dec-09, 20:04
I bought a new PC the other day, and I thought i'd use my 26-inch telly as a monitor.

It displays properly up to the login screen on Windows 7, then the screen goes blue and the computer makes a beeping noise and restarts. Using the telly as a monitor works fine in safe mode, and I can run in normal mode using a "proper" 19 inch LCD monitor. I'm connecting to the telly through VGA, same with the monitor.

Any ideas on how I could get the TV to work?

Bobinovich
03-Dec-09, 22:00
It could be that the resolution you were running on the 19" monitor is too much for the TV to handle. Connect the 19" monitor back & reduce the resolution to say 800 x 600 and then connect the TV (you don't need to switch the PC off to do this). If it's alright then you can then increase the resolution back up step at a time (followed by the Apply button) until you reach the TV's maximum.

Alternatively just look up the TV manual & see what the native resolution it is designed to run at :D

Worth a try anyway.

EDDIE
03-Dec-09, 23:20
I bought a new PC the other day, and I thought i'd use my 26-inch telly as a monitor.

It displays properly up to the login screen on Windows 7, then the screen goes blue and the computer makes a beeping noise and restarts. Using the telly as a monitor works fine in safe mode, and I can run in normal mode using a "proper" 19 inch LCD monitor. I'm connecting to the telly through VGA, same with the monitor.

Any ideas on how I could get the TV to work?

When you see a lot of people use there computer through the tv its normally a hdmi connection on the graphics card hook it that way up to the tv

redeyedtreefrog
04-Dec-09, 17:37
It could be that the resolution you were running on the 19" monitor is too much for the TV to handle. Connect the 19" monitor back & reduce the resolution to say 800 x 600 and then connect the TV (you don't need to switch the PC off to do this). If it's alright then you can then increase the resolution back up step at a time (followed by the Apply button) until you reach the TV's maximum.

Alternatively just look up the TV manual & see what the native resolution it is designed to run at :D

Worth a try anyway.

Thanks Bob, but when i plug it into the tv after changing the resolution, the same thing happens again. But I can take the resolution up to 1024x768 in Safe Mode.

When you see a lot of people use there computer through the tv its normally a hdmi connection on the graphics card hook it that way up to the tv

I thought of that before posting this but i dont have a hdmi cable, i'll see if i can borrow one.

Bobinovich
04-Dec-09, 17:44
Can you post the make and model of the TV so I can do a Google search to see if anyone else has had such a problem.

landy
07-Dec-09, 20:49

i put my sons through the tv using the "S video"connector,i know its running m.c.e 2005,but may still work for windows 7?

redeyedtreefrog
10-Dec-09, 18:01
Can you post the make and model of the TV so I can do a Google search to see if anyone else has had such a problem.

It's an Acoustic Solutions CTVL26W3HD. Also, I could connect my laptop running Vista with VGA and HDMI. Sorry about the slow reply, i havent been on the org in a few days. Addicted to Sims.

Bobinovich
10-Dec-09, 19:02
LOL well you've got me stumped! Only thing I can suggest it to look at Event Viewer just after a startup using the 26" (then plug 19" back in to read) to see if it reports what is causing the startup to fail. Unfortunately I don't have a Win 7 system here to confirm, but on XP you can find it in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System.