PDA

View Full Version : CDs won't play

Liz
02-Dec-09, 14:41
I was playing a CD earlier and it played fine but when I put another in it won't play.

I've tried a few CDs, including the one I played earlier, but still no joy.:(

I checked in Device Manager and it said it was working properly.

Windows Media Player shows there is no disc in the drive even when there is.

Any help much appreciated.

tonkatojo
02-Dec-09, 15:23
I was playing a CD earlier and it played fine but when I put another in it won't play.

I've tried a few CDs, including the one I played earlier, but still no joy.:(

I checked in Device Manager and it said it was working properly.

Windows Media Player shows there is no disc in the drive even when there is.

Any help much appreciated.

Chuck it away and get a decent one. ;)

Connor.
02-Dec-09, 16:42
Try and do an update on the CD/DVD drivers, it should work then. If you know the make and model but don't know where to find them then post here and i'll find some for you.

Liz
02-Dec-09, 17:34
Chuck it away and get a decent one. ;)

I canna as it is integrated into ma puter!

Try and do an update on the CD/DVD drivers, it should work then. If you know the make and model but don't know where to find them then post here and i'll find some for you.
Cheers Connor.:D

I have tried to do an update but it says there are no better drivers?
The CD Driver is Futjitsu MH22160BH G2 (Microsoft Drive) and the CD-Rom Drive is TSST Corp CDDVDW TS-L633A

Can't understand why it was playing fine and then just stopped? It seems Media Player isn't recognising there is a CD inserted?

Bobinovich
02-Dec-09, 17:50
Have you tried restarting the PC?

Liz
02-Dec-09, 19:43
Yes I did Bob and still no joy.

jimbews
02-Dec-09, 20:05
Yes I did Bob and still no joy.
Did you power it off completely?
Motherboards have residual power when plugged in, and restarting (alone) sometimes doesn't clear faults with interfaces such as network and disks.

tonkatojo
02-Dec-09, 21:22
I canna as it is integrated into ma puter!

Cheers Connor.:D

I have tried to do an update but it says there are no better drivers?
The CD Driver is Futjitsu MH22160BH G2 (Microsoft Drive) and the CD-Rom Drive is TSST Corp CDDVDW TS-L633A

Can't understand why it was playing fine and then just stopped? It seems Media Player isn't recognising there is a CD inserted?

Nah it sounds jiggered, you should be able to replace it. They are not expensive in fact if your not bothered about dvd I'll give ya one.

dx100uk
03-Dec-09, 01:47
get a lense cleaner disc
prob just a piece of crap/dust on the eye.

if you put a disc in and it spins up but nothing happens, 90% its that.

dx

Liz
03-Dec-09, 12:39
Nah it sounds jiggered, you should be able to replace it. They are not expensive in fact if your not bothered about dvd I'll give ya one.

get a lense cleaner disc
prob just a piece of crap/dust on the eye.

if you put a disc in and it spins up but nothing happens, 90% its that.

dx

Thanks both but I can't get the drawer to open now!:roll:

dx100uk
03-Dec-09, 14:31

get a paperclip open it up straight and push it in the little tiny hole on the front of the CD ROM DRIVE.

prob just got a disc stuck because it can't be read.

if you do press the eject button, do you get any lights flash or come on to show it atleast has power going to the drive?

dx

Liz
03-Dec-09, 15:07
get a paperclip open it up straight and push it in the little tiny hole on the front of the CD ROM DRIVE.

prob just got a disc stuck because it can't be read.

if you do press the eject button, do you get any lights flash or come on to show it atleast has power going to the drive?

dx

No there's no disc stuck in it. Off to find a paperclip..........

dx100uk
03-Dec-09, 15:21
No there's no disc stuck in it. Off to find a paperclip..........

well it sounds like it lost its power connector then.
if you hit the eject button, do any lights come on or flash on the front?
that would be the ans to the your problems...no power.

dx

Liz
03-Dec-09, 15:26
I think you could be right as when it was stuck before it used to make a noise as if it was trying to open but nothing this time.:confused

jimbews
03-Dec-09, 15:43
Is this on a laptop or small-profile PC using a laptop drive?
In which case replacement may become difficult and/or expensive depending on how it's mounted (and the service available from local experts).

If it is a laptop it may even be worth considering an external USB-connected DVD writer as this is likely to be a fraction of the cost of an internal drive.

If it is a standard full-sized drive on a desktop system then replacement should be easy (about 10 minutes) and quite cheap. For example Dabs sells DVD writers (from recognised manufacturers) from about 17 quid. If it's one of these PC manufacturers who makes desktop system with some laptop components then that's a different ball game! Just make sure you get the right type. I'd assume it's ATA and not SATA but check.

dx100uk
03-Dec-09, 17:40
I think you could be right as when it was stuck before it used to make a noise as if it was trying to open but nothing this time.:confused
laptop or desktop?

sounds like you have power if the light is flashing and you have noises.
tray is stuck or the belt has come off if desktop.

dx

Liz
03-Dec-09, 19:09
Is this on a laptop or small-profile PC using a laptop drive?
In which case replacement may become difficult and/or expensive depending on how it's mounted (and the service available from local experts).

If it is a laptop it may even be worth considering an external USB-connected DVD writer as this is likely to be a fraction of the cost of an internal drive.

If it is a standard full-sized drive on a desktop system then replacement should be easy (about 10 minutes) and quite cheap. For example Dabs sells DVD writers (from recognised manufacturers) from about 17 quid. If it's one of these PC manufacturers who makes desktop system with some laptop components then that's a different ball game! Just make sure you get the right type. I'd assume it's ATA and not SATA but check.

laptop or desktop?

sounds like you have power if the light is flashing and you have noises.
tray is stuck or the belt has come off if desktop.

dx

It's a desktop PC (Advent). There are no noises this time dx100uk which seems to suggest a power failure?

dx100uk
03-Dec-09, 21:03
so have you popped the tray out with the paperclip trick?
do you get any lights flashing or hear motor noise when you hit the eject button on the front of the CD ROM?

dx