PDA

View Full Version : Shocking 'treatment' in Tescos!

woofit
25-Nov-09, 18:34
Well it's been some time since I last posted...but I just felt the need to inquire as to whether it's just my problem...or do other people suffer too???

I suffer from really bad static electricity shocks in Tescos (wick). I know that I may be prone to suffer such shocks (usually after traveling for a long period of time) and on closing the car door. Having studied for a Science degree, I'm aware of what causes these things but was just curious as to whether other people suffer like me.

Sometimes, it can take as little as 1minute, to suffer from such a shock when I enter Tescos (Wick). I'm not talking just a wee shock, but last time I was in (and I'm always moaning to my Mum about this) my Mum actually saw the spark come off me as I touched....and subsequently trashed the display of shower gel in Tescos.

I'm not trying to be melodramatic....but the sparks can be visibly noticed...and on touching something I get such a shock which makes me physically jump and drop whatever I was holding in the first place! I am only glad that I wasn't buying firelighters' :-S

I know that pushing a trolley can indeed contribute to such shocks, as can the floor coverings in a shop...so..... was just wondering.....is it JUST me?????! Replies would be greatly appreciated :D I have to admit, it's worse in the clothing appartment.

Incidentally...I have NO problem in Tescos (Inverness). :roll:

Fran
25-Nov-09, 18:38
Gloves and rubber soles on your shoes should do the trick

unicorn
25-Nov-09, 18:40
Hubby is the same but it is the trolleys he gets them from, he is kind enough to touch me and share :confused

woofit
25-Nov-09, 18:47
Sadly this is not true! I have rubber soles on my shoes...apparently I should be wearing leather soles and holding a key whilst touching some metal rack in the shop..to discharge the electricity without feeling the pain..I'm gonna look like a right div! :lol:

Anybody else in a similar situation...was just wondering whether it's the floor in the Wick shop??

woofit
25-Nov-09, 18:52
Yes it's usually the trolleys I get the shocks from too....How sweet he feels the need to share with you :-) Hmmmm I had never thought of 'sharing' it :-)) lol that gives me an evil plan.

Aaldtimer
25-Nov-09, 18:54
Woofit, I think you'll find the static is coming FROM you and going to earth by whatever you touch. It must generated in some way by the clothing you wear, acrylic /man-made materials maybe?:confused

lazytown
25-Nov-09, 18:55
It usually happens to me within the clothing area in tescos Wick and Inverness, I take great enjoyment shocking the kids and wife :Razz when we go round.

Dog-eared
25-Nov-09, 19:01
Rubber soles will make it worse.You want to be discharging yourself, not insulating.
Try wearing those jeans that drag on the ground at the heel !! :lol:

I used to get bad shocks closing my car door. You could see and hear the spark. ( And feel it!! )
I got used to closing the door with my elbow.
Much better than discharging through flesh !

woofit
25-Nov-09, 19:01
hehe...the plot thickens! Aaldtimer- I'm under no illusion that the static is coming from me! I can however, be dressed in mostly cotton...and still have a shocking experience...I also realise that by pushing a metal trolley against a man-made floor...you are asking for trouble!

ShelleyCowie
25-Nov-09, 19:04
I constantly get that too!! :eek:

I was through on Sunday and in the end i had my mum push the trolley and i touched nothing because it was getting so bad.

But its only in wick tesco that i get this! :confused

dragonfly
25-Nov-09, 19:07
It usually happens to me within the clothing area in tescos Wick and Inverness, I take great enjoyment shocking the kids and wife :Razz when we go round.

I used to get bad shocks closing my car door. You could see and hear the spark. ( And feel it!! ) I got used to closing the door with my elbow. Much better than discharging through flesh !

Same here! but worst one was when a colleague was smelling my new perfume, as her nose got close to my wrist you could see and feel the spark :eek:

Metalattakk
25-Nov-09, 19:20
O NOES!! If only we had an ASDA up here... :(

unicorn
25-Nov-09, 19:28
O NOES!! If only we had an ASDA up here... :(

Step away from the spoon [lol]

achingale
25-Nov-09, 19:29
I get that from car doors but so far I have been fine in Wick.

changilass
25-Nov-09, 19:35
Tesco clothing area is horrible, I normally aim the trolly at hubby and go off on my own.

Aye the car door does it to me too and also have to get hubby to empty the tumble dryer.

We should harness all this electricity we have to send it to the national grid. :lol:

arana negra
25-Nov-09, 19:37
Cars doors, cookers, some kitchen sinks and trolleys ! blooming painfull. Sometimes I would get a shock through my late husband also.

Sandra_B
25-Nov-09, 19:41
Last time I was through to the Tesco in Wick the same thing happened to me.

scorpion
25-Nov-09, 19:46
Same here! but worst one was when a colleague was smelling my new perfume, as her nose got close to my wrist you could see and feel the spark :eek:

I think that is a completely different kind of electricity !

Julia
25-Nov-09, 19:58
I've had some terrible shocks in Tesco mostly in the clothing section whilst wearing crocs, I get shocks off the trolley and the metal shelving too, I've lost count of the times I've jumped and screamed :eek:

Highland lad
25-Nov-09, 20:04
My Wife gets terrible static shocks in Tesco wick. She gets them from trolleys, Shelves, Car Doors, Taps, Other People, Tumble Dryer.

woofit
25-Nov-09, 20:08
ahhh haaa...so...it's not just me then?!!! I'm wondering if those wind mills on the outside roof and all the adjoining metal piping inside have any bearing? That area, inside tescos, also coincides with where I get my worst shocks...hmmmm...I do like a good mystery. I may just figure out how to create a poll and do a proper survey?? Could take a while though hehe.

dragonfly
25-Nov-09, 20:11
I think that is a completely different kind of electricity !

:eek::eek::eek: no definately not lol

Geo
25-Nov-09, 20:21
I get shocks from the trollies. It's usually when I walk around the clothing section. There's a different floor covering there which makes it much worse. Some shoes make it worse too.

gunnlass
25-Nov-09, 20:37
I have same problem with Tesco, Marks and Spencer Inverness is a bad one too, also get it off cars but only in the summer?

Kevin Milkins
25-Nov-09, 20:37
it can take as little as 1minute, to suffer from such a shock when I enter Tescos (Wick). I'm not talking just a wee shock.

I have only had two wee shocks in Tesco Wick, one was the price of the Nintendo Wii, and the other was,......... well just how tidy, well presented and clean the toilets are...........
http://forum.caithness.org/images/misc/subscribed.gif Tesco (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=92154) ;).

I am someone that has had a problem with static, and when I used to do long car journeys as a sales rep it used to catch me out often when getting out of the car, and it was not unusual to see me picking up my books and samples off the pavement.:(

The idea of having long jeans trailing on the floor sounds like about the best idea, good luck.

Phill
25-Nov-09, 20:47
It's down to your underwear!
It's the old nylons m'luv!

I get it all the time when I wear me stockings n' suspenders.

:eek: NO, NO. No I meant trainers, when I wear trainers.

Kathy@watten
25-Nov-09, 21:10
Perhaps this static electricity is part of the green ethical store policy...literally customers make their own power?

brandy
25-Nov-09, 21:58
the inverness store is the one that keeps trying to kill me! everytime i go in im nearly electricuted *grins* sorry for the spelling!
but the shocks have fried my brain!
wick store every now and again. but not as bad and def in clothing isle. i think hubby set something up to schock me to stop me from buying.

S&LHEN
25-Nov-09, 22:09
Both me and my o/h and our youngest son get severe shocks from the tesco trolleys but ive also noticed it after being on the trampoline. Maybe just some people are totally electrafying ha ha ha:lol:

georgen
25-Nov-09, 22:32

Exactly that same thing here too. It's gotten to the stage that the Mrs has to push the trollys in these two stores, as the constant shocks just do my nut in !!

I never have the same problem Asda though. Weird...

Loraine
25-Nov-09, 23:25
wick store every now and again. but not as bad and def in clothing isle. i think hubby set something up to schock me to stop me from buying.

I was thinking the same thing - my worst shocks have been in the clothing section with an item of said clothing in hand. I receive a shock and drop the item..... I'm pretty sure it's my husband pressing a button from a distance! :roll:

JAWS
25-Nov-09, 23:53
Can't say it's a problem I've had but there could be a good reason for that. As my ex used to tell me regularly, "Where there's no sense there's no feeling".

George Brims
26-Nov-09, 01:32
This happens to me in certain shops. It may well be the material the trolley wheels are made of vs the floor material. Same as when you try to stick a balloon to the ceiling with static, and one person can do it while another can't because their jumpers are made of different fibres.

If the air is dry enough to let big voltages build up and make visible sparks, be careful pumping petrol. The worst shocks I get are when getting out of my car (synthetic fabric seats) wearing cotton (Wranglers). A lot of gas stations here have a sign warning you not to get back in your car while pumping the gas. The danger is the spark you make when you get back out now has flammable vapours to work with. For an illustration, see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcFO7lQII8I

That one wasn't so bad. There was a really traumatic one a couple of years ago of a guy up in Washington State getting killed doing that.

mumof2
26-Nov-09, 22:47
i get shocks in the wick tesco aswell but i use it to control my kids, any nonsense and i zap em. i thought i was the only one who got them so badly as i've never seen anyone else squeal.

lorry
26-Nov-09, 23:12
Yep, me too i am always geting shocks in wick tescos and especially in the clothing dep. i hate them i have a fear from working with electric fences for the horses! My daughter gets upset when she gets them from me - thank goodness that looks and electric shocks dont kill!

Loraine
27-Nov-09, 00:43
i get shocks in the wick tesco aswell but i use it to control my kids, any nonsense and i zap em.

That's a great parenting tip - I'll keep it in mind for future visits to Tesco!! [lol]

Aaldtimer
27-Nov-09, 04:14
Maybe it's something to do with ....(gasp) Ley Lines!:eek:

Or Global Warming!:(

Or Climate Change!:confused

lsk24
27-Nov-09, 17:22
I get this loads aswel and i can see it. worst is trolleys, cars and my fireguard!! it really bugs me

annthracks
29-Nov-09, 18:46
hehe...the plot thickens! Aaldtimer- I'm under no illusion that the static is coming from me! I can however, be dressed in mostly cotton...and still have a shocking experience...I also realise that by pushing a metal trolley against a man-made floor...you are asking for trouble!

Mostly I think the trolley's nylon wheels don't help :)

northener
30-Nov-09, 15:15
I have found that lying on the floor in Tescos and sticking my tongue in the sockets is a good way to get an electric shock. Failing that, try cutting the flex on the kiddie ride in the foyer and stick the end in your mouth.....or somewhere else

If you wish to have an electrical shock whilst doing your shopping, simply bolt a 5kw petrol generator to your trolley and hook up the power to the metal trolley frame. Thinking about it, if you had a set of ladders, I'm sure you could get on the roof and hook yourself up directly to one of the wind turbines...should look impressive on dark winter evenings......your head would resemble a Van der Graff generator or even one of those Plasma balls.....:eek::Razz

No, there's no need to thank me for the information Ma'm, just doing my job.