PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lupins please

Beat Bug
19-Nov-09, 00:16
A friend gave me some lupins in pots a while back. They are still quite small, so I put them in my greenhouse for safe keeping. Some of them started to flower, so I brought one indoors, and it's now in full bloom. Is it OK to plant them out now? Or is it best to wait for spring? I've never had lupins before, so help would be appreciated please

Scunner
19-Nov-09, 00:33
The soil is quite cold and wet just now. Put them in a covered frame or leave them in the greenhouse. Move to a bigger pot if the roots are really compacted.

Beat Bug
19-Nov-09, 11:58
Thanks for the tip. I'll leave them in the greenhouse, as I don't yet have a cold frame

porshiepoo
22-Nov-09, 18:55
Plus if it's in flower now, don't forget to collect the seed.
My tree Lupins are extremely easy to grow from seed and I imagine normal Lupins will be the same. :)

Beat Bug
24-Nov-09, 14:37
I had already planned on keeping the seed to propogate more plants. I read up on lupins, and to guarantee the same colour flower, the root need to be split. Growing from seed doesn't guarantee the same colour. But I'm not bothered, I just want to get colour into my bare garden!

Scunner
24-Nov-09, 17:59
I dont think that you will get true colours from seed from lupins. Russell Lupins seem to be the best for colour Have grown from packeted seed, and had reasonably success. It seems that root cuttings are the 'in' thing just now. I must try, to see how it goes. I've had great success with climbing roses from heel cuttings and some success with hard wood cuttings.