PDA

View Full Version : Spring bulbs coming through already?

skinnydog
17-Nov-09, 21:25
I have the tips of some spring bulbs coming through - I think they are narcissi if I remember right. Surely that is way too early for them is it? None of my other stuff is through yet.

Anji
17-Nov-09, 22:40
I have the same problem in both garden and pots. I can see me having loads of flowers out at Christmas, and nothing in the Spring.
It's not because I planted them too early this year. The ones in the garden have been there for years.

porshiepoo
18-Nov-09, 14:36
Having that problem too. I've quickly shoved my other pots into a dark place to hopefully hold em for a bit longer.

Anji
18-Nov-09, 16:33
Good idea, porshiepoo. I'll do the same with my pots. I wonder if there's somewhere dark I could put my garden, though!! Maybe the shorter days will slow the growth down a bit.

majic
18-Nov-09, 19:01
Hi i have the same prob i have got peas growing and some lobelia has popped up strange

Scunner
19-Nov-09, 00:35
The growth should slow down now. If you put them in a dark place, make sure it is cold, or they will continue to grow. And will grow to the light if there is any. I have a lot of daffs showing outside, but not so many inside. Crocus are growing a bit fast inside but, I will enjoy the blooms when they come.

porshiepoo
22-Nov-09, 18:58
Hi i have the same prob i have got peas growing and some lobelia has popped up strange

If you are referring to Sweet Pea I always start some from seed this time of the year anyway. They come up real quick, over winter really easy in a cold frame and it gives them a great head start next year.

majic
22-Nov-09, 19:39
no it not sweet peas i planted peas in summer in containers out side and now they are growing and the lobelia i had last summer do they seed themselves

Scunner
23-Nov-09, 11:57
Would doubt if lobelia will seed themselves. They take a lot of care to take them through the first stages ie seed to seedling, and are quite slow growing. Damping off is a problem in the early stages.

majic
23-Nov-09, 16:53
well i dont know how i have them growing in a pot i def didnt buy any this year

htwood
02-Jan-10, 07:09
Lobelia will reseed itself under the right conditions, congrats on getting free plants for spring. It seems an odd year for weather, bulbs and plants seem out of natural rhythm.

steeko
02-Jan-10, 23:22
I also have some Lobelia which reseed themselves, always nice to see them appear.