PDA

View Full Version : Password Security

Rheghead
19-Apr-06, 14:55
With an ever increasing demand to register a Username and Password on the net, what is the best way to keep a secure record of them all? OK, one way is just to have one for all sites but that could be a risk, but if we have a different one for all then how do we remember them without writing them down? The older I get then that doesn't seem like an option.:~(

If we write them all down on paper then that is a risk and so if we keep a record on the computer.

What is the best payoff between security and convenience?:confused

2little2late
19-Apr-06, 14:57
With an ever increasing demand to register a Username and Password on the net, what is the best way to keep a secure record of them all? OK, one way is just to have one for all sites but that could be a risk, but if we have a different one for all then how do we remember them without writing them down? The older I get then that doesn't seem like an option.:~(

If we write them all down on paper then that is a risk and so if we keep a record on the computer.

If you have Firefox browser you have the option of saving passwords for every site you need to log into, with the option of setting a master password.

norscot
19-Apr-06, 16:00
You could try Robo-Form http//www.roboform.com

mareng
19-Apr-06, 16:35
I use Ilium password manage.

It keeps all the details in an encrypted file, and has lots of different categories for bank accounts, storecards, websites and basically has a really good front-end. It also transfers to your PDA. The application is called Ewallet.

It costs $29 for PC + PDA, $20 for the PDA alone - but the website is:

http://www.iliumsoft.com/

For non-important sites, I just use the name of the site as the password:

eg, for the Scotsman newspaper online, I just use "scotsman"

fred
19-Apr-06, 18:44

Just think of a song that reminds you of whatever it is then take the first letter from each word in the first line as your password.

For caithness.org forums you could have Nelly The Elephant Packed Her Trunk, "ntephtatoftc". For your bank you can have If I Were A Rich Man, "iiwarmddddddddddddddd".

badger
19-Apr-06, 19:00
Just think of a song that reminds you of whatever it is then take the first letter from each word in the first line as your password.

For caithness.org forums you could have Nelly The Elephant Packed Her Trunk, "ntephtatoftc". For your bank you can have If I Were A Rich Man, "iiwarmddddddddddddddd".

That's a really good idea - must try it next time.

I keep a Word doc. (which of course is passworded) with a list of all the sites I'm registered on and their usernames and passwords. The passwords are actually just clues as I use asterisks with just enough letters to remind me.

So many sites are happy to email you your password, or even do it anyway when you register, it makes you wonder how security conscious they are. BT actually write to you telling you not to write down your password and then they email it to you. :roll:

Saveman
19-Apr-06, 19:35

I would appreciate it Fred if you would stop posting my passwords for all to see! ;)

George Brims
19-Apr-06, 21:03
There are sites that will tell you how "strong" your password is. Using non-alphanumeric characters adds strength, as does staying away from words that are in the dictionary, or have a lot of repeating letters. Of course the best thing to make your password strong is to make it really long. Security is also enhanced by changing password often.

On a security note, I used the computer at Debenham's cafe in Inversnecky recently, and logged into my home account to check email. The second day I did that I realized the damn machine had *remembered my username and password!* Needless to say the password is now different! Watch out for this sort of thing when travelling.

I sought to avoid this by asking about the T-mobile service at Starbucks so I could use my own laptop. I discovered you have to log into the service using a credit card *over an unsecured network*. No way I was doing that!

Geo
19-Apr-06, 21:16
I've being using "Any Password" to keep track of them all, for about 18 months. It keeps the passwords in encrypted files and it's free.
http://www.anypassword.com/