PDA

View Full Version : Outside lights

tonkatojo
15-Nov-09, 16:08
How many outside lights do you think is acceptable in this age of energy reductions ??
There is a new build not far from me with no-one living there yet and its lit up like a ruddy Christmas tree, it has 14 yes fourteen outside lights on from 1600hrs-0800hrs or four in the afternoon till eight the next morning, talk about light pollution.
They are not xmas lights neither. :(

dragonfly
15-Nov-09, 16:36
the crime prevention officer will advise you to light up your house with lights that are on from dawn to dusk - well he did after we were burgled a couple of years ago.

We now have 4 dusk-dawn lights on around the house however use low watt halogen bulbs on 3 of them and the one at the front door is a new green one which uses low energy bulbs - I've got a 7watt bulb in that

rather that than have the house broken into again

maybe being in the country your neighbour feels safer with a lot of lights around his property

Kevin Milkins
15-Nov-09, 18:27
Having spent most of my adult life living out in the sticks, I have found light pollution tough to come to terms with. :confused

We have had a few emotive debates about the for and against of street lights and was very surprised that most people like the streets well lit at night and yet I found it very hard to sleep with an outside light on.

It would certainly annoy me if I lived out in the sticks now and someone moved in and decided to light the country side up like a Christmas tree, especially as we do get some fantastic night skies to admire.